Browser Compatibility Test

AditiDesign5 Comments

browsers-logos

Wow, so you ended up making a cool design and it looks perfect on your screen, but it is not complete yet, cause it needs to be checked on various browsers, screen sizes and resolutions. Every time a design is ready we go about testing it extensively on all kinds, so that the design looks universally alike.

This consistency is important, if you are serious about doing professional design work. When we go about asking, many times we face this that users really do not know which browser they are actually viewing the page in, also sometimes it’s difficult for them to judge which versions of browser they are using.

Especially in the current transitional period of going from IE6 to IE7, and FireFox2 to FireFox 3 where there are significant differences between the two browsers, it gets more important for you to make sure that your design works without problem in all kinds.

Most of the times while we are doing this test, If you see a problem in IE6, it is either working on Firefox or Opera. But ideally it is important that you are must initially test your page in Firefox or Opera, as both of these browsers are the most web standards compliant browser and have abundant resources for testing and debugging markup and code. If your code works in either of those, and the page validates in both html and css, then you can be sure that the webpage should work in all other browsers.

You must not miss doing the Browser compatibility test, cause it will let you to lose visitors if your web pages don’t work on all the popular web browsers. Your web pages may be inconsistent on each browser and the visitors would believe that the website is not professional or is buggy, no one blames the browser.

Browser display problems can basically just kill your web pages, and these display differences are caused by a lot of things such as different browser versions, different computer platforms, screen size, browser bugs, HTML errors, and multiple browsers.

Here is a list of few (19) tools below that let you view your site as other visitors do:

Validator.W3.org
This tool checks the markup validity of web documents in HTML, XHTML,etc. It can be used to check the issues in code to make it comply with any standard.

SortSite Professional v1.01
This tool is capable to check accessibility, usability, multi browser compatibility, broken links, legal compliance and search engine guidelines. Really Useful.

Browser Photo
Useful Tool by Netmechanic, it tests your webpage browser compatibility and lets you see how your pages look on different browsers and operating systems. We use it often.

IE NetRenderer
This is a great online tool for web browser compatibility test for Apple iMac and Linux. It allows you to check how a website is rendered by Internet Explorer 8 to lower versions. It’s free.

BrowserShots.org
This site allows you to test your site in many different browsers including linux, mac OS, and bsd. It’s a helpful web service to provide perfect user experience to your site visitor and a smooth production for you as web designer.

QuirkSmode Bug DB for Mac IE
This tool checks the configuration that can be targeted at a specific browser or profile of a chosen browser. The repository of configurations is extendable by anybody that uses this tool.

AnyBrowser.com
Here you could view your own site as your visitors would. Simply enter your URL to a surfer site view and it will give results in a few seconds.

Lynx Viewer
A free online tool to view your web pages as they would be viewed in the Lynx text-only browser.

Palm OS Simulator
It’s a free web browser simulator software that simulate a Palm device on your computer.

Browsershots
This tool makes exact screenshots of your web design in different browsers. Computers will open your website in their browser and will make screenshots and upload them to the central server. This helps in verifying your site as cross-browser compatible.

BrowserCam
This tool test your site on any operating system, speed up your workflow and create screenshots.

Javascript Browser Support
This simple tool let us know if our browser supports certain JavScript/VBScript versions. It test your browser, collecting each version of javascript supported and the installed version of vbscript.

BrowerPool
It will test your website live in all current browsers.Also it tests the functionality in addition to simply testing the layout of a site. Only a live test can really test all functions such as a pull-down menu. It provide test for Mac, OS, Windows and Linux systems.

ieCapture
You can test your site in Internet Explorer 7 without installation using this tool. It’s free and gives instant results.

Multi-Safari
The current version of the Web Kit Framework determines the rendering of web-sites. This site offers 10 Safari-versions which can be installed along side other versions under Mac OS X. Great & Highly useful!

Browsrcamp.com
It’s free and offers the OS X Live test, a service which gives you the possibility to test your website by taking full control of a Mac OS X system.

Litmus
It provides you with screenshots of your websites and offers you the management of your compatibility tests. Which is very useful to keep a track of versions while you are testing.

BrowserHawk
Amazing online tool that can detect Flash, detect screen size, detect connection speed, improve web site usability, detect Acrobat, detect plugins etc. It detects all browser settings, screen size, plugins, SSL, line speed, and many more. It has a free trial.

Dreamweaver CS3 compatibility checks for Browser Compatibility
It’s a tutorial series on how to check browser compatibility using Dreamweaver CS3. It provides demo for easy learning.

AditiBrowser Compatibility Test

5 Comments on “Browser Compatibility Test”

  1. Rudi

    I’am agree but I have a problem in my website, before I am using “Validator.W3.org” my web(Oscommerce) is normaly but have 105 errors, then I fix that errors until 24 errors. After that I try running with some browser and O…la..la…, with Firefox is normal but with IE my footer side is gone, and with Chrome my footer side moved to the right site, maybe you can give me some advice “how” or “where” I can found some help, because I am not a programmer. Thanks

  2. Amir

    i have problem with my homepage if you see the right panel of the site does not shows properly on IE 5.5, IE6 but its looks fine on IE7 what should i do now can you guide me

  3. Wasin

    I design a new website using html and css its looks and work fine in IE7,8, Firefox 3.5 and chrome but look wired in old browser, I checked the compatibility issues while the website no there is no error issues but still doesnt look good in older browser.

  4. fashion

    Browser compatibility is always the hardest problem for web designer, especially in Internet Explorer. It takes a long time to debug and find the problems.

Leave a Reply