Professional Web Applications Themes

(0x80004005) ][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified - ASP Database

Ok, I don't think this is that complicated, but I can't get it working right. I could work this fine under PWS and Win98. Having various difficulties under XP Professional and IIS. for the sake of example, assume there's an .MDB file in: c:\inetpub\database\whatever.mdb My paths are correct, but I'm consistently getting: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified I think this involves going to the folder, or the file, or both, going to properties, Security Tab, and changing rights. But I've tried giving Full rights ...

  1. #1

    Default (0x80004005) ][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

    Ok, I don't think this is that complicated, but I can't get it working
    right.

    I could work this fine under PWS and Win98. Having various difficulties
    under XP Professional and IIS.

    for the sake of example, assume there's an .MDB file in:
    c:\inetpub\database\whatever.mdb

    My paths are correct, but I'm consistently getting:

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
    driver specified

    I think this involves going to the folder, or the file, or both, going to
    properties, Security Tab, and changing rights.

    But I've tried giving Full rights to the various Users, and I still get the
    error.

    I've done various websearches on the error, and I find various references
    similar, but none quite seem to solve my problem.

    I'm sure someone else has had this problem with XP Professional and IIS with
    an .MDB file.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Algomeysa2 Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:35:39 GMT, "Algomeysa2"
    <Algomeysa2NOSPAMmindspring.comNOPESPAM> wrote:
    >Ok, I don't think this is that complicated, but I can't get it working
    >right.
    >
    >I could work this fine under PWS and Win98. Having various difficulties
    >under XP Professional and IIS.
    >
    >for the sake of example, assume there's an .MDB file in:
    >c:\inetpub\database\whatever.mdb
    >
    >My paths are correct, but I'm consistently getting:
    >
    >Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    >[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
    >driver specified
    Start Here:

    Why do I get database-related 80004005 errors?
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]

    Jeff
    >I think this involves going to the folder, or the file, or both, going to
    >properties, Security Tab, and changing rights.
    >
    >But I've tried giving Full rights to the various Users, and I still get the
    >error.
    >
    >I've done various websearches on the error, and I find various references
    >similar, but none quite seem to solve my problem.
    >
    >I'm sure someone else has had this problem with XP Professional and IIS with
    >an .MDB file.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Jeff Cochran Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks. I read through much of that FAQ, but none of what was listed
    really seemed to apply.

    However, I knew this was working for me Monday evening, so what I finally
    did was do a Windows XP System Restore for Monday evening.

    And now it's working again, so something between now and then ed up my
    system for the ODBC Drivers.

    Weird. Wish I knew quite what the culprit was so I could avoid it
    happening again.

  4. #4

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:21:47 GMT, "Algomeysa2"
    <Algomeysa2NOSPAMmindspring.comNOPESPAM> wrote:
    >Thanks. I read through much of that FAQ, but none of what was listed
    >really seemed to apply.
    >
    >However, I knew this was working for me Monday evening, so what I finally
    >did was do a Windows XP System Restore for Monday evening.
    >
    >And now it's working again, so something between now and then ed up my
    >system for the ODBC Drivers.
    >
    >Weird. Wish I knew quite what the culprit was so I could avoid it
    >happening again.
    New software installed, updates, etc.?

    Jeff

  5. #5

    yeah, but nothing that should have wiped out the ODBC drivers.

    actually, the main thing I recall installing was an update of my ISP
    software with a spyware blocker/protector.

    Oh well. Two Thumbs Up for Windows XP System Recovery!

    I don't know what I did, but as long as I can make it Wednesday night again
    when everything was working fine.... I'm not dead in the water.