Professional Web Applications Themes

1 final question about image size/resolution - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I know there has been much talk about image size/resolution but I would like to ask a question. if the original image is 3072 x 2048 can it be resized to print a 11 x 14 or even a 13 x 19 inch photo while still retaining enough resolution so that the final outcome (print) is of good quality? the reason I am asking this is I am going to purchase a new camera (Canon EOS 300D) and the size of the image when taken in RAW or JPEG large/fine is 3072 x 2048. in the rare event I take ...

  1. #1

    Default 1 final question about image size/resolution

    I know there has been much talk about image size/resolution but I would like to ask a question. if the original image is 3072 x 2048 can it be resized to print a 11 x 14 or even a 13 x 19 inch photo while still retaining enough resolution so that the final outcome (print) is of good quality? the reason I am asking this is I am going to purchase a new camera (Canon EOS 300D) and the size of the image when taken in RAW or JPEG large/fine is 3072 x 2048. in the rare event I take a great picture some day I would want to print it for hanging on my wall at either 11 x 14 or 13 x 19. given the image/file size that this camera produces is what I want to do possible or is it wishful thinking on my part? does anyone have an experience with this camera, if so i would love to here your opinions. thank you all so very much.
    George Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 1 final question about image size/resolution

    George,

    At 13 x 19", your pictures will be below 180ppi (13x19 = 160ppi). If you don't intend to show them
    from very close, you won't have a problem. I have severals 10 x 8 here that I printed from my
    former digital cam (1600 x 1200) but nobody noticed the difference because they're on a wall and the
    closest people can get to them isn't close enough to tell wether they're seing pixels or not.

    Btw, good choice on the camera. I have a 10D (almost identical) and it does wonders! A friend of
    mine bought the 300D a few weeks ago. He's in love with it, although he said the supplied lense
    isn't really good.

    Also, you might check the files and see for yourself before you buy. Bring a CF card with you at
    the store (if you're not buying online), do some shots, and bring them home.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    3072x2048 = 14 x 9.3 inches 219ppi = 19 x 12.6 inches 161ppi.

    You'll have to test on your printer to see if those resolutions are good
    enough for your taste.
    Note that if you must have 14x11 exactly, you'll be cropping to get it,
    which will reduce ppi even more.

    Mac

    Mac_McDougald@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You can get an acceptable 11x14 with the 300D. 13x19 might be
    pushing it depending on how it is viewed and what your
    expectations are. I have the 300D and love it. If you have any
    specific questions about the camera just let me know and I can
    try to answer them.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    "George S. Forman" <net> wrote in
    message news:la2eafNXanI...

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    George, no problem at all. At 300ppi your image will print about 8 x 12 inches. Bicubic upsampling will deliver good quality up to 4x, so you will be able to print at 32 x 48 inches.
    Today I printed three portraits at 16 x 20 without any noticable problem. One of these portraits even was crop of about 60% of the original image.
    The best way to upsample seems to be 10% increments at a time.

    Ray, in my opinion an 8 x 10 image is way to small on the wall. You have to come too close to be able to judge what's in the image. I am convinced, that an image on a wall should be viewed from the place where you usually sit. In my situation that is in front of my stereo set. ;-). The further away the image, the larger the print.
    If an image is good at 8 x10 it will be good at 16 x 20 too. No, it will even be better.

    But that's just only my personal opinion, of course. ;-)

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    OK, so I have a 5 megapixel camera. If I upload my photos to an online photo lab such is Ofoto, it reports back that my pictures can be printed as large as 20 x 30. Do these labs have some kind of image enhancement process that makes this possible? They even reported back that I can get that size of prints from my 2 megapixel camera. But I have only ordered 8x10 prints so far.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Don't forget that not all pixels and not all images are created equal! Leen uses wonderful digital SLRS with large sensors, and top quality lenses mounted on heavy tripods that produce razor sharp images with very little noise, and so can be upsized an amazing amount. My G3 (4megapixels, decent lens but a small sensor) does A4 images easily and I've done very acceptable A4 images heavily cropped (my printer only goes to A4). My 2MP Kodak - tiny sensor, quite heavily compressed jpgs so lots of noise and aretfacts doesn't do anything as well - small prints only.

    The 300D has a decent large, low noise 6MP sensor - especially if you use a good lens and a tripod and have a well focussed image you can probably produce some very large prints without any trouble. However often an image that looks well focussed small isn't quite as good when you start ing it up....!

    Susan S.
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Susan, I use a Fuji S2 Pro, a camera that is at about the same level as the new Canon cameras. But, yes indeed, I use a heavy tripod as this is the basic requirement for sharp images.

    I'm just only dreaming of a Hasselblad H1 with Xpress back...

  9. #9

    When you use your S2 to get such large prints are you using the
    6mp file or the interpolated 12mp? Has it made a difference? I
    just got a tripod last week in hopes of improving the sharpness
    of my shots and am now looking for a monopod for those long
    hikes. Any recommendations?

    --
    <com> wrote in message
    level as the new Canon cameras. But, yes indeed, I use a heavy
    tripod as this is the basic requirement for sharp images.

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Grant_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    JHJL, I almost always use the highest resolution available, although I know these 12 mpx ar 50% interpolated pixels, but the Fuji system of interpolation works fine. I realise there is hardly any difference in quality between a normal 6 mpx camera and this Fuji.

    Grant, you are right about the viewing distance and the upsampling, especially when it comes to portraiture. Nevertheless, my environmental portraiture and wedding shots are often full of details in the background. Upsampling can be so successful, because adding pixels in "unstructured" parts of the image, like skin or the sky, doesnot harm an image at all. And most parts of our images usually don't have any structure.