Professional Web Applications Themes

1 week encryption/security course? - Linux / Unix Administration

I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange security? I'm looking for people who've taken or heard of classes, not sales pitches from training centers. Those I can already find... Thanks, Dave Hinz...

  1. #1

    Default 1 week encryption/security course?

    I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption
    projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the
    US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange
    security?

    I'm looking for people who've taken or heard of classes, not sales
    pitches from training centers. Those I can already find...

    Thanks,
    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 1 week encryption/security course?

    In article <net>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:
    | I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption
    | projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the
    | US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange
    | security?
    |
    | I'm looking for people who've taken or heard of classes, not sales
    | pitches from training centers. Those I can already find...

    Don't know about classes, but the canonical treatment of the subject
    for technical laymen is Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography. He's
    also co-author on something of a sequel, 'Practical Cryptography'.

    Both books are published by Wiley.

    Jon

    | Thanks,
    | Dave Hinz

    Jonathan Abbey utexas.edu
    Applied Research Laboratories The University of Texas at Austin
    GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg
    Jonathan Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:49:05 +0000 (UTC) arlut.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) wrote:

    Not really. That merely talks about cryptography, and is not really a
    holistic view.

    A better coverage (for the OP) is probably found in _Network Security_
    by Kaufman et al. It's quite excellent.

    -frank
    Frank Guest

  4. #4

    In article <local>,
    Frank Cusack <com> writes:

    > Not really. That merely talks about cryptography, and is not really a
    > holistic view.
    >
    > A better coverage (for the OP) is probably found in _Network Security_
    > by Kaufman et al. It's quite excellent.
    >
    > -frank[/ref]

    I agree that the Schneier books are a bit, ahhhh, dense for what the OP was
    requesting. Interesting, if you're into cryptography, but not all that
    relevant to what was asked.

    I'd suggest he go to http://www.sans.org for information on various courses
    and workshops around the country.

    HTH,
    Bob Melson
    (remember me, Dave? Swell Ol' Bob?)

    -----
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." Thomas Reed
    -----

    Robert Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:41:38 -0700, Frank Cusack <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I think that if I could go at his book un-interrupted, that I could get
    a lot out of it. But, working in I.T., uninterrupted time only happens
    if I leave the office for a week - which is why I'm thinking a class.

    I'll get that on order, thanks.

    Dave Hinz
    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:05:03 GMT, Robert Melson <rgmhome.net> wrote:

    That's probably the word I was looking for, yes.

    That's looking like the way to go, so far. Their site's graphic
    designer, however, needs to be brought out of 1992.

    You bet. This is, what, 7 or 8 groups of overlap now. Thanks for the
    pointers to PHPGedView, by the way. Playing with it a bit; very nice.
    I need to send in some doentation that I've written for it where it's
    a bit thin.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  7. #7

    Frank Cusack <com> wrote:

    > Not really. That merely talks about cryptography, and is not really a
    > holistic view.
    >
    > A better coverage (for the OP) is probably found in _Network Security_
    > by Kaufman et al. It's quite excellent.[/ref]

    Another excellent book is Ross Anderson's
    "Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems"

    One of the (many) things I liked about it is that it yzes various
    systems in a methodical fashion, focusing on the principles involved.
    The numerous factors of what is being secured, what threats are
    neutralized, what vulnerabilities are still there and how they might
    be mitigated are all considered and dissected. The icing on the cake
    is that as the title suggests, it looks at the system as a whole,
    including how the pieces interact.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Zawrotny