Professional Web Applications Themes

$1000 to spend - Photography

I am fairly new to the list and am in no way a pro. I am thinking of pouring some hobby money into photo equipment. I would like to get a 35mm body and a digital body that will take the same 28-80 and 80-200 (or there about) lenses. I do not have all the money that I want to spend on this upgrade, but the total should stay at $1000 or less. I would like to get something that is auto everything when I want to be lazy and manual when I am more concerned with catching the exact ...

  1. #1

    Default $1000 to spend

    I am fairly new to the list and am in no way a pro. I am thinking of
    pouring some hobby money into photo equipment. I would like to get a 35mm
    body and a digital body that will take the same 28-80 and 80-200 (or there
    about) lenses. I do not have all the money that I want to spend on this
    upgrade, but the total should stay at $1000 or less. I would like to get
    something that is auto everything when I want to be lazy and manual when I
    am more concerned with catching the exact image.

    What would be a good set of camera bodies to get?

    Should I get the digital or 35mm first?

    Can I get it all for less than $1000?

    As for lenses, I assume the 28-80 (or so) would come first as it covers the
    "normal" range.

    And for the record, darkroom equipment is out of the picture for now. A guy
    has to have something to shoot for :-).

    Thanks a lot for all of your help.
    Bob Young

    Bob or Shelly Young Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: $1000 to spend

    "Bob or Shelly Young" <bobandshellyev1.net> wrote in message
    > I am fairly new to the list and am in no way a pro. I am thinking of
    > pouring some hobby money into photo equipment. I would like to get a 35mm
    > body and a digital body that will take the same 28-80 and 80-200 (or there
    > about) lenses. I do not have all the money that I want to spend on this
    > upgrade, but the total should stay at $1000 or less. I would like to get
    > something that is auto everything when I want to be lazy and manual when I
    > am more concerned with catching the exact image.
    >
    > What would be a good set of camera bodies to get?
    >
    > Should I get the digital or 35mm first?
    >
    > Can I get it all for less than $1000?
    >
    > As for lenses, I assume the 28-80 (or so) would come first as it covers
    the
    > "normal" range.
    >
    > And for the record, darkroom equipment is out of the picture for now. A
    guy
    > has to have something to shoot for :-).
    >
    > Thanks a lot for all of your help.
    > Bob Young

    You want to buy 35 mm. camera 28-80 lens and a digital body that will take
    thus lens for less than $1000 ?
    In Your dreams only.

    Andy Guest

  3. #3

    Bob,

    You can get a decent set-up for 35mm film for around $1,000.

    Digital will cost you quite a bit more to get into the interchangeable
    systems...

    Look at B&H Photo (do a google search) & see what kind of prices are out
    there. Keep in mind that you'll probably at least want:

    Body - Elan 7 is a good one...
    Lens - 28-80mm (or similar Canon lens)
    Flash - dedicated external unit

    IMNSHO, I recommend buying into a brand.

    If you buy into Canon, stick with Canon for your lenses & accessories. I
    find it funny that a lot of people buy a Canon camera body only to buy 3rd
    party optics & accessories to go with it. Companies such as Canon make far
    better lens than others like Sigma, Tamron & Tokina, etc. If you don't buy a
    matching brand lens, you don't get the most out of what that system has to
    offer. The same can be said about most flash units & accessories...

    Paul (who by the way is not a Canon user)
    /////////////////////////////////

    "Bob or Shelly Young" <bobandshellyev1.net> wrote in message
    > I am fairly new to the list and am in no way a pro. I am thinking of
    > pouring some hobby money into photo equipment. I would like to get a 35mm
    > body and a digital body that will take the same 28-80 and 80-200 (or there
    > about) lenses. I do not have all the money that I want to spend on this
    > upgrade, but the total should stay at $1000 or less. I would like to get
    > something that is auto everything when I want to be lazy and manual when I
    > am more concerned with catching the exact image.
    >
    > What would be a good set of camera bodies to get?
    >
    > Should I get the digital or 35mm first?
    >
    > Can I get it all for less than $1000?
    >
    > As for lenses, I assume the 28-80 (or so) would come first as it covers
    the
    > "normal" range.
    >
    > And for the record, darkroom equipment is out of the picture for now. A
    guy
    > has to have something to shoot for :-).
    >
    > Thanks a lot for all of your help.
    > Bob Young

    ---

    Paul Brecht Guest

  4. #4

    "Bob or Shelly Young" <bobandshellyev1.net> wrote in
    > I am fairly new to the list and am in no way a pro. I am thinking of
    > pouring some hobby money into photo equipment. I would like to get a
    > 35mm body and a digital body that will take the same 28-80 and 80-200
    > (or there about) lenses. I do not have all the money that I want to
    > spend on this upgrade, but the total should stay at $1000 or less. I
    > would like to get something that is auto everything when I want to be
    > lazy and manual when I am more concerned with catching the exact
    > image.
    >
    > What would be a good set of camera bodies to get?
    Any of the new nikon, pentax, or canon will suit you just fine.
    > Should I get the digital or 35mm first?
    If you want interchangable lenses, you'll have to go 35mm for that price
    range.
    > Can I get it all for less than $1000?
    Absolutely.
    > As for lenses, I assume the 28-80 (or so) would come first as it
    > covers the "normal" range.
    >
    > And for the record, darkroom equipment is out of the picture for now.
    > A guy has to have something to shoot for :-).
    >
    > Thanks a lot for all of your help.
    > Bob Young
    I got a canon elan II w/ a 28-105 and a 70-200 or something like that (can
    never remember the zoom specifics) for ~1300$ canadian. All brand new.
    Works just fine.
    Jon Pike Guest

  5. #5

    Paul Brecht wrote:

    > Bob,
    >
    > You can get a decent set-up for 35mm film for around $1,000.
    >
    > Digital will cost you quite a bit more to get into the interchangeable
    > systems...
    >
    > Look at B&H Photo (do a google search) & see what kind of prices are out
    > there. Keep in mind that you'll probably at least want:
    >
    > Body - Elan 7 is a good one...
    > Lens - 28-80mm (or similar Canon lens)
    > Flash - dedicated external unit
    >
    > IMNSHO, I recommend buying into a brand.
    >
    > If you buy into Canon, stick with Canon for your lenses & accessories. I
    > find it funny that a lot of people buy a Canon camera body only to buy 3rd
    > party optics & accessories to go with it. Companies such as Canon make far
    > better lens than others like Sigma, Tamron & Tokina, etc. If you don't buy a
    > matching brand lens, you don't get the most out of what that system has to
    > offer. The same can be said about most flash units & accessories...
    I wouldn't agree about this so easily. Canon makes great lenses,
    but so does Sigma (I don't have experiences with Tokina and Tamron).
    On other side Canon makes real crap (EF 28-90 is best sample of
    what should never come out of factory), but so does Sigma too.
    You can't say that Sigma is crap and Canon is perfect. For example
    Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX HSM can be easily compared (in quality and
    AF speed) with Canon 70-200/2.8 L (non-IS), and most of time it's
    even a little bit better. If you don't mind Canon is white and
    Sigma so normal black. And not to mention Sigma is around $700
    and Canon around $1500. So I don't really think it's funny/stupid at
    all to buy Sigma and not Canon. But yeah you should do some
    testing first before you buy. Especially with Sigma since with
    Canon you generaly get good lenses when you go with L. With Sigma
    even with EX (other's are not really usefull anyway) it's not
    so clear.
    --
    Primoz
    Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing

  6. #6

    Bob or Shelly Young wrote:
    > I am fairly new to the list and am in no way a pro. I am thinking of
    > pouring some hobby money into photo equipment. I would like to get a 35mm
    > body and a digital body that will take the same 28-80 and 80-200 (or there
    > about) lenses. I do not have all the money that I want to spend on this
    > upgrade, but the total should stay at $1000 or less. I would like to get
    > something that is auto everything when I want to be lazy and manual when I
    > am more concerned with catching the exact image.
    >
    > What would be a good set of camera bodies to get?
    >
    > Should I get the digital or 35mm first?
    >
    > Can I get it all for less than $1000?
    >
    > As for lenses, I assume the 28-80 (or so) would come first as it covers the
    > "normal" range.
    >
    > And for the record, darkroom equipment is out of the picture for now. A guy
    > has to have something to shoot for :-).
    >
    > Thanks a lot for all of your help.
    > Bob Young

    If you go digital plan on spending at least $1500.00 (Canon 10D) on the
    body. Then you can start thinking about lenses.

    If you go film you can get something like a Canon Elan 7e and a 28-135
    IS lens for about $1000.

    IMHO, go film first and learn photography. If you start with digital
    you can correct things in the computer, if you know what you did wrong.

    Another suggestion since you are fairly new, join a club. You can learn
    a lot from club members and club competitions.

    Bob

    Bob Sull Guest

  7. #7

    Primoz Jeroncic wrote:
    > I wouldn't agree about this so easily. Canon makes great lenses,
    > but so does Sigma (I don't have experiences with Tokina and Tamron).
    > On other side Canon makes real crap (EF 28-90 is best sample of
    > what should never come out of factory), but so does Sigma too.
    > You can't say that Sigma is crap and Canon is perfect. For example
    > Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX HSM can be easily compared (in quality and
    > AF speed) with Canon 70-200/2.8 L (non-IS), and most of time it's
    > even a little bit better. If you don't mind Canon is white and
    > Sigma so normal black. And not to mention Sigma is around $700
    > and Canon around $1500. So I don't really think it's funny/stupid at
    > all to buy Sigma and not Canon. But yeah you should do some
    > testing first before you buy. Especially with Sigma since with
    > Canon you generaly get good lenses when you go with L. With Sigma
    > even with EX (other's are not really usefull anyway) it's not
    > so clear.

    All lens makers make some junk. Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc.....

    The Sigma 70-200 is a good lens just a bit lower rated by Photodo. Is
    the difference worth $500, the Canon is around $1200. Only the user can
    make that decision.

    Sigma has traditionally had compatibility problems with new Canon
    bodies. I suspect that they have corrected this but if you buy older
    Sigma it may not work on newrer Canon.

    I remember reading somewhere that lenses designed for digital SLRs are
    great in the center but not so great on the edges. This is because of
    the size of the digital sensor and the fact that it uses the center of
    the lens.

    The lens is the most important part of the camera. It has to deliver a
    sharp, undistorted image to the medium with accurate color and contrast
    with no flare. If you're shooting sports or little kids, it should be
    able to focus fast.

    Bob

    Bob Sull Guest

  8. #8

    John O. <onewirealphaNO> wrote in
    news:MPG.196ae004139bc21989689news.mindspring.com :
    > In article <Xns93AAF0A0E5DB8LessThanPerfectInc24.71.223.159> ,
    > [email]Anonomoosehotmail.com[/email] says...
    >> "Bob or Shelly Young" <bobandshellyev1.net> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I am fairly new to the list and am in no way a pro. I am thinking
    >> > of pouring some hobby money into photo equipment. I would like to
    >> > get a 35mm body and a digital body that will take the same 28-80
    >> > and 80-200 (or there about) lenses. I do not have all the money
    >> > that I want to spend on this upgrade, but the total should stay at
    >> > $1000 or less. I would like to get something that is auto
    >> > everything when I want to be lazy and manual when I am more
    >> > concerned with catching the exact image.
    >> >
    >> > What would be a good set of camera bodies to get?
    >>
    >> Any of the new nikon, pentax, or canon will suit you just fine.
    >>
    >> > Should I get the digital or 35mm first?
    >>
    >> If you want interchangable lenses, you'll have to go 35mm for that
    >> price range.
    >>
    >> > Can I get it all for less than $1000?
    >>
    >> Absolutely.
    >>
    >> > As for lenses, I assume the 28-80 (or so) would come first as it
    >> > covers the "normal" range.
    >> >
    >> > And for the record, darkroom equipment is out of the picture for
    >> > now. A guy has to have something to shoot for :-).
    >> >
    >> > Thanks a lot for all of your help.
    >> > Bob Young
    >>
    >> I got a canon elan II w/ a 28-105 and a 70-200 or something like that
    >> (can never remember the zoom specifics) for ~1300$ canadian. All
    >> brand new. Works just fine.
    >>

    > Pentax doesn't make a digital SLR. The original poster wants a system
    > that uses the same lenses, so Pentax is out. And there is no way to
    > get both under $1000. At least not new. Did you read the post? He
    > wants both.
    Yeah, I missed that bit. I thought it was an either/or.
    Jon Pike Guest

  9. #9

    Believe me, I would never buy another Sigma product again...

    I gave them the 3 strikes your out test & they've struck out...

    I had 2 lenses literally fall apart with normal usage. The focusing ring
    fell apart & the front element hit the pavement both times...

    I also bought a 3rd one (I guess I'm the dummy eh?) & it had incompatibility
    issues with my body. So, I called Sigma US & asked what my options were.
    They told me to send it in & that they would put a new chip in it that would
    make it compatible with my camera. I sent it in & a month later, it was
    returned with a stamped invoice saying "UNREPAIRED" with the comment "parts
    not available".

    I had a friend who knew someone that worked for Sigma US's service dept. &
    had her look into it for me. They told her that they didn't feel obligated
    to remedy the problem & that they would take the (brand new - never used)
    lens for a trade in, but they would only give me their cost for the item off
    of the replacement lens... ($50 US for a $500 lens to buy a new one for
    $1,000 direct)

    When comparing lenses, it's often good to compare like lenses. I have
    trouble agreeing that the 70-200mm Sigma compares to the L lens. I'm not a
    Canon user, but I know the quality of their optics. I've compared the optics
    from my 80-200mm to my friends 70-200mm L & they are very similar in
    quality. The Sigma I owned looked horrible when compared to either of these
    2 lenses...

    I've owned a few Tamron lenses & although they didn't fall apart or have
    compatibility issues, they had lot's of distortion...

    Never owned a Tokina...

    I find though that there are 2 things that are true:

    1. you get what you pay for...
    2. usually it's cheaper to buy the more expensive one... (1st time around)

    Paul
    /////////////////////

  10. #10

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:20:52 -0500, Bob or Shelly Young wrote:
    > So, It looks like I can get something cheap or something that will take
    > decent photos, not both. Huh, who would have thunk it??
    >
    > OK. It looks like I will be keeping my 20 year old Pentax K1000 (that may
    > never die) and sinking my money into better lenses and maybe going entirely
    > digital a little later.
    If i were you i'd shoot for a canon eos 300 (rebel 2k in the usa) and a
    couple of reasonable canon lenses that meet your specs.

    This will leave you with some change from your grand and you can put that
    towards buying a digital body. I'm sure within a year that Canon will have
    a sub $1000 digital body and by then you'll better know how to use it.

    Graham
    Graham Stewart Guest