Professional Web Applications Themes

12" Powerbook problems - Mac Portable

So far I have only had this problem happen to me twice in the 6 months I've owned my powerbook, I have know idea what goes wrong but my powerbook didn't wake from sleep mode...I know the computer is running because i can hear it and it gets warm but nothing shows on the screen! I push the power button and nothing happens...after pushing the button several times ( not knowing wheter its on or off) and closeing the computer for about 20 mins it boots up fine. Anyone else have this problem?...

  1. #1

    Default 12" Powerbook problems

    So far I have only had this problem happen to me twice in the 6 months
    I've owned my powerbook, I have know idea what goes wrong but my
    powerbook didn't wake from sleep mode...I know the computer is running
    because i can hear it and it gets warm but nothing shows on the screen!
    I push the power button and nothing happens...after pushing the
    button several times ( not knowing wheter its on or off) and closeing
    the computer for about 20 mins it boots up fine. Anyone else have this
    problem?

    Tyler Schmidt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 12" Powerbook problems

    On 4/9/03 4:17 PM, in article [email]vldm75luqslj9fcorp.supernews.com[/email], "Tyler
    Schmidt" <tyler.schmidtsasktel.net> wrote:
    > So far I have only had this problem happen to me twice in the 6 months
    > I've owned my powerbook, I have know idea what goes wrong but my
    > powerbook didn't wake from sleep mode...I know the computer is running
    > because i can hear it and it gets warm but nothing shows on the screen!
    > I push the power button and nothing happens...after pushing the
    > button several times ( not knowing wheter its on or off) and closeing
    > the computer for about 20 mins it boots up fine. Anyone else have this
    > problem?

    Give the contrast keys a couple of taps to make sure that it has not for
    some reason dimmed the screen. This happened with my Lombard and the pre-jag
    10.2 version of the OS. Only happened a couple of times but responded.

    Cheers Paul

    EmuPooh Nonames Guest

  3. #3

    In article <vldm75luqslj9fcorp.supernews.com>,
    Tyler Schmidt <tyler.schmidtsasktel.net> wrote:
    >So far I have only had this problem happen to me twice in the 6 months
    >I've owned my powerbook, I have know idea what goes wrong but my
    >powerbook didn't wake from sleep mode...I know the computer is running
    >because i can hear it and it gets warm but nothing shows on the screen!
    > I push the power button and nothing happens...after pushing the
    >button several times ( not knowing wheter its on or off) and closeing
    >the computer for about 20 mins it boots up fine. Anyone else have this
    >problem?
    Yep. It's happened to me three times in the past week. I don't know
    why. On one occasion I had to reset the power management unit to fix
    it (see the Apple web site for details of how to do it).

    It's very annoying - the whole reason sleep is useful is because I'm in
    the middle of something and don't want to have to save and shutdown, so
    this behaviour is very irritating!

    Tim

    Tim Cutts Guest

  4. #4

    In article <vldm75luqslj9fcorp.supernews.com>,
    Tyler Schmidt <tyler.schmidtsasktel.net> wrote:
    > So far I have only had this problem happen to me twice in the 6 months
    > I've owned my powerbook, I have know idea what goes wrong but my
    > powerbook didn't wake from sleep mode...I know the computer is running
    > because i can hear it and it gets warm but nothing shows on the screen!
    > I push the power button and nothing happens...after pushing the
    > button several times ( not knowing wheter its on or off) and closeing
    > the computer for about 20 mins it boots up fine. Anyone else have this
    > problem?

    Something similar has happened to me two or three times, but I got it to
    shut down by holding the power key down for about 5 seconds--perhaps a
    little longer--and then restarting. The last time this happened, I ran
    DiskWarrior 3 (a purchase I've been repeatedly thankful for), and it
    found some major problems with the drive.

    please mail OT responses only
    Scott Guest

  5. #5

    In article <Kor*TlH1pnews.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    Tim Cutts <timcchiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    > Yep. It's happened to me three times in the past week. I don't know
    > why. On one occasion I had to reset the power management unit to fix
    > it (see the Apple web site for details of how to do it).
    Interestingly, I did that about a week ago, and the machine refused to
    start at all from the hard drive (either partition). DW3 found major
    corruption. 2nd time it found such--though I don't recall if the
    problems were the same ones.

    > It's very annoying - the whole reason sleep is useful is because I'm in
    > the middle of something and don't want to have to save and shutdown, so
    > this behaviour is very irritating!
    One annoying thing: I've found that if I put the machine to sleep and
    then disconnect things (external mouse, monitor, Ethernet), the machine
    not infrequently wakes up, sometimes with that annoying blank screen
    problem.

  6. #6

    Scott <heimdallspamless.invalid> wrote:
    >> It's very annoying - the whole reason sleep is useful is because I'm in
    >> the middle of something and don't want to have to save and shutdown, so
    >> this behaviour is very irritating!
    > One annoying thing: I've found that if I put the machine to sleep and
    > then disconnect things (external mouse, monitor, Ethernet), the machine
    > not infrequently wakes up, sometimes with that annoying blank screen
    > problem.
    I thought I read somewhere that the Mac was waking up, saying "Oh look,
    the external monitor is gone, I'd better take note of that for later" and
    then going right back to sleep.

    -
    jay

    don't send me email, I don't check it.