Professional Web Applications Themes

12" vs. 15" powerbook - Mac Portable

Hi, I'm considering buying my first Mac computer. I want to either get a 12" or 15" powerbook. I was originally leaning more towards the 12", but having seen the (smaller than I thought) size of the 15", I'm reconsidering. I'm aware that the 12" is a newer design, and fixes some mistakes of the 15" model. Most notably: - aluminum case that gives better wi-fi reception (important for me) - no keyboard ink "sticking" on the screen Am I missing anything else? My main question is: how bad is the reception on the 15"? Is it worth going for ...

  1. #1

    Default 12" vs. 15" powerbook

    Hi,

    I'm considering buying my first Mac computer. I want to either get a 12"
    or 15" powerbook. I was originally leaning more towards the 12", but
    having seen the (smaller than I thought) size of the 15", I'm reconsidering.

    I'm aware that the 12" is a newer design, and fixes some mistakes of the
    15" model. Most notably:

    - aluminum case that gives better wi-fi reception (important for me)
    - no keyboard ink "sticking" on the screen

    Am I missing anything else? My main question is: how bad is the
    reception on the 15"? Is it worth going for the 12" just for that? I
    like screen "real estate", which is why I'm really tempted by the 15".

    Any insights into my dilemma? Thanks,

    Maan

    Maan Bsat Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 12" vs. 15" powerbook

    Maan Bsat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm considering buying my first Mac computer. I want to either get a 12"
    > or 15" powerbook. I was originally leaning more towards the 12", but
    > having seen the (smaller than I thought) size of the 15", I'm reconsidering.
    >
    > I'm aware that the 12" is a newer design, and fixes some mistakes of the
    > 15" model. Most notably:
    >
    > - aluminum case that gives better wi-fi reception (important for me)
    > - no keyboard ink "sticking" on the screen
    >
    > Am I missing anything else? My main question is: how bad is the
    > reception on the 15"? Is it worth going for the 12" just for that? I
    > like screen "real estate", which is why I'm really tempted by the 15".
    >
    > Any insights into my dilemma? Thanks,
    >
    > Maan

    The only insight I can offer is that it's been a very long time since
    the 15" was refreshed, and Macworld Creative Pro is coming up next week.
    I'd wait until after that conference before making a final decision. Not
    that a 15" with aluminum case is definitely coming, but it seems to be a
    reasonably likely development. The recent price cut is another clue.
    (One rumor even says the next 15" will be a G5, but take that one with a
    whole shaker of salt.)

    Watt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <vIFOa.102091$8Q5.16124news.easynews.com>,
    Maan Bsat <mbsatandrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm considering buying my first Mac computer. I want to either get a 12"
    >or 15" powerbook. I was originally leaning more towards the 12", but
    >having seen the (smaller than I thought) size of the 15", I'm reconsidering.
    >
    >I'm aware that the 12" is a newer design, and fixes some mistakes of the
    >15" model. Most notably:
    >
    >- aluminum case that gives better wi-fi reception (important for me)
    >- no keyboard ink "sticking" on the screen
    My boss has a 15" - which he's had for only about 6 months. The marks
    on the screen are already really quite nasty.

    Built-in Bluetooth on the 12". I use this to iSync my address book and
    calendar with my mobile phone. Very cool. Yes, you can do this with a
    USB bluetooth dongle in a 15" PowerBook, but you have to have that
    sticking out the side of your machine...
    >Am I missing anything else? My main question is: how bad is the
    >reception on the 15"? Is it worth going for the 12" just for that? I
    >like screen "real estate", which is why I'm really tempted by the 15".
    Another factor that might influence you is external monitor output. The
    15" has a DVI connector. The 12" has a port for a special dongle so (a)
    you need to use the dongle if you want to connect to an external display
    and (b) it's og only - there's no DVI output on the 12". You also
    need to pay extra for a dongle to connect to Apple's Cinema Displays, I
    believe.

    The 12" gets quite hot - I don't know about the 15".

    So, that's yet more pros and cons of both to confuse you. Enjoy.

    Tim

    Tim Cutts Guest

  4. #4

    aaron matthew croyle wrote:
    > On 9 Jul 2003, Tim Cutts wrote:
    >>My boss has a 15" - which he's had for only about 6 months. The marks
    >>on the screen are already really quite nasty.
    >
    > Get a screen protector and there is no problem, I have the leather one
    > from OWC.
    Or wipe them off. A sunglasses care kit works great for this.

    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #5

    Tim Cutts <timcchiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:<8qk*C30Wpnews.chiark.greenend.org.uk>...

    > >I love the screen size. I feel odd on square displays now...
    >
    > I have a SGI-manufactured 1600x1024 monitor at home which is a dream to
    > use with my 12" PowerBook. At work, I have an external 1280x1024
    > monitor which also works well. The proportion of time I spend using the
    > laptop's own display is quite small...
    >
    > >> Another factor that might influence you is external monitor output. The
    > >> 15" has a DVI connector. The 12" has a port for a special dongle so (a)
    > >> you need to use the dongle if you want to connect to an external display
    > >> and (b) it's og only - there's no DVI output on the 12". You also
    > >> need to pay extra for a dongle to connect to Apple's Cinema Displays, I
    > >> believe.
    > >
    > >I'm not sure the point you are trying to make here. The 15" can attach
    > >directly to a studio display, it also comes with a dongle for VGA (and one
    > >to take the S-vid to RCA).
    >
    > My point is precisely that; you have lots of these options on the 15",
    > but they are absent on the 12" laptop.
    >
    > >> The 12" gets quite hot - I don't know about the 15".
    > >
    > >I use the 15" on my lap daily, for hours. I tend to rest it between my
    > >legs rather then on them. I'd say it would keep you warm in the winter,
    > >but not too hot to use.
    >
    > The 12" *can* get uncomfortably hot, especially if you have the
    > performance settings set to "high performance" rather than "longest
    > battery life".
    >
    > Oh, two more 15" advantages, which may or may not matter to the original
    > poster:
    >
    > a) Faster CPU (largely due to more L2 cache)
    > b) More memory (15" can go to 1 GB of memory, 12" only has one
    > SODIMM slot so is limited to 640 MB. Not a problem for me -
    > depends on your software. Rumour has it that 1GB SODIMM cards
    > *do* work in the 12" PowerBook, giving you 1.25 GB of memory, but
    > this is not a supported configuration. And if they do work in
    > PowerBooks, you presumably could put two of them in a 15" to give
    > you 2 GB of memory...
    >
    > Tim
    My opinioon is this...if you weight more on buying a 15" as oppose to
    12", I would say spend a few extra bucks and go for the 17". You won't
    regret it. I was once also considering between a 12" and a 15"
    thinking that 17" would be too big and heavy. But once I pay a visit
    to Apple Center playing around with the 3 machine, I couldn't help it
    but get myself a 17". Forget about the current 15" as it's consider
    obsolete. If you could wait longer wait for the new one instead, but
    if you can't go for the 17".
    Thomas Chai Guest

  6. #6

    I would have a hard time living woth the low resolution of the 12" screen.
    AFAIK it is only 1024 x 768 - not enough to practically run the apps I need.

    Wait for the new 15" models is what I'd do

    Happy shopping

    "Maan Bsat" <mbsatandrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm considering buying my first Mac computer. I want to either get a 12"
    > or 15" powerbook. I was originally leaning more towards the 12", but
    > having seen the (smaller than I thought) size of the 15", I'm
    reconsidering.

    > I'm aware that the 12" is a newer design, and fixes some mistakes of the
    > 15" model. Most notably:
    >
    > - aluminum case that gives better wi-fi reception (important for me)
    > - no keyboard ink "sticking" on the screen
    >
    > Am I missing anything else? My main question is: how bad is the
    > reception on the 15"? Is it worth going for the 12" just for that? I
    > like screen "real estate", which is why I'm really tempted by the 15".
    >
    > Any insights into my dilemma? Thanks,
    >
    > Maan

    Mike A Guest

  7. #7

    In article <8qk*C30Wpnews.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    Tim Cutts <timcchiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    > Oh, two more 15" advantages, which may or may not matter to the original
    > poster:
    >
    > a) Faster CPU (largely due to more L2 cache)
    > b) More memory (15" can go to 1 GB of memory, 12" only has one
    > SODIMM slot so is limited to 640 MB. Not a problem for me -
    > depends on your software. Rumour has it that 1GB SODIMM cards
    > *do* work in the 12" PowerBook, giving you 1.25 GB of memory, but
    > this is not a supported configuration. And if they do work in
    > PowerBooks, you presumably could put two of them in a 15" to give
    > you 2 GB of memory...
    >
    > Tim

    Hi Tim,

    Now please tell me how a 1GB + 128 MB = 1.25 GB, 'cause my brain keeps
    telling me it's more like 1.125 GB. It may be the 3rd prime number of
    beers I had this evening, but I don't think so...
    chibitul Guest

  8. #8

    I just bought a 12" and love it. I got the 40 GB hd and the 640 meg Ram and so
    far most stable unit I ever used in the mack line.

    Only thing I don't like is the heat it generates dam hot since the case is part
    of teh heat sink system as there is no room for a fan system.

    I prefer the smaller size coming up from a duo 2300. overall foot print about
    the same but a third thinner.

    Don.
    CT Seeker Guest

  9. #9

    In article <ch1b1tul-F665F8.23143512072003newssvr10-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
    chibitul <ch1b1tulsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >Hi Tim,
    >
    >Now please tell me how a 1GB + 128 MB = 1.25 GB, 'cause my brain keeps
    >telling me it's more like 1.125 GB. It may be the 3rd prime number of
    >beers I had this evening, but I don't think so...
    More like the beers I had, which caused me to have finger trouble. The
    number is missing a , and has the decimal in the wrong place. :-) I
    should have typed 1.125...

    Anyway - haven't you heard of imaginary memory? :*)

    Tim

    Tim Cutts Guest

  10. #10

    In article <ALf*3-fXpnews.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    Tim Cutts <timcchiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    > In article <ch1b1tul-F665F8.23143512072003newssvr10-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
    > chibitul <ch1b1tulsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > >Hi Tim,
    > >
    > >Now please tell me how a 1GB + 128 MB = 1.25 GB, 'cause my brain keeps
    > >telling me it's more like 1.125 GB. It may be the 3rd prime number of
    > >beers I had this evening, but I don't think so...
    >
    > More like the beers I had, which caused me to have finger trouble. The
    > number is missing a , and has the decimal in the wrong place. :-) I
    > should have typed 1.125...
    >
    > Anyway - haven't you heard of imaginary memory? :*)
    >
    > Tim
    Man, you were totally busted by the typing police! Why do these s
    get off on berating people - when pretty much everyone else knew what
    you meant... Sheesh...
    Jessica Campbell Guest

  11. #11

    << which he's had for only about 6 months. The marks
    >>on the screen are already really quite nasty. >>
    I just use the thin piece of foamlike plastic that was in the computer when I
    bought it.
    Tricia Guest

  12. #12

    I'm also very interested in the 15" PB. I had been waiting to see if
    anything new was going to be announced this week at Macworld. It would
    seem that there won't be a new 15" PB for a little while longer.

    At this point I'd be inclined to get an existing 15" - except that so
    many people say that it is "old" and some even claim it is obsolete!

    Is a 1Ghz G4 really outdated?? I would hope that if I purchased it
    today that it would be viable for at least 3-4 years...

    <mbsatandrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm considering buying my first Mac computer. I want to either get a 12"
    > or 15" powerbook. I was originally leaning more towards the 12", but
    > having seen the (smaller than I thought) size of the 15", I'm reconsidering.
    >
    > I'm aware that the 12" is a newer design, and fixes some mistakes of the
    > 15" model. Most notably:
    >
    > - aluminum case that gives better wi-fi reception (important for me)
    > - no keyboard ink "sticking" on the screen
    >
    > Am I missing anything else? My main question is: how bad is the
    > reception on the 15"? Is it worth going for the 12" just for that? I
    > like screen "real estate", which is why I'm really tempted by the 15".
    >
    > Any insights into my dilemma? Thanks,
    >
    > Maan
    M. Landers Guest

  13. #13

    If you can buy one - it's obsolete !

    Mike A :)

    "M. Landers" <macklanderadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I'm also very interested in the 15" PB. I had been waiting to see if
    > anything new was going to be announced this week at Macworld. It would
    > seem that there won't be a new 15" PB for a little while longer.
    >
    > At this point I'd be inclined to get an existing 15" - except that so
    > many people say that it is "old" and some even claim it is obsolete!
    >
    > Is a 1Ghz G4 really outdated?? I would hope that if I purchased it
    > today that it would be viable for at least 3-4 years...
    >

    > In article <vIFOa.102091$8Q5.16124news.easynews.com>, Maan Bsat
    > <mbsatandrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm considering buying my first Mac computer. I want to either get a 12"
    > > or 15" powerbook. I was originally leaning more towards the 12", but
    > > having seen the (smaller than I thought) size of the 15", I'm
    reconsidering.

    > > I'm aware that the 12" is a newer design, and fixes some mistakes of the
    > > 15" model. Most notably:
    > >
    > > - aluminum case that gives better wi-fi reception (important for me)
    > > - no keyboard ink "sticking" on the screen
    > >
    > > Am I missing anything else? My main question is: how bad is the
    > > reception on the 15"? Is it worth going for the 12" just for that? I
    > > like screen "real estate", which is why I'm really tempted by the 15".
    > >
    > > Any insights into my dilemma? Thanks,
    > >
    > > Maan

    Mike A Guest

  14. #14

    M. Landers wrote:
    > I'm also very interested in the 15" PB. I had been waiting to see if
    > anything new was going to be announced this week at Macworld. It would
    > seem that there won't be a new 15" PB for a little while longer.
    I was also waiting to see if a new 15" model arrived. Since it didn't, I
    bought a shiny (at least I hope so) almost-new 17" Powerbook. It was a
    pretty good deal I think. ;-)

    PB 17" ("almost new", unregistered, full Apple warranty, all original
    materials, "flawless")
    1 GB RAM (512 MB upgrade)
    Superdrive, etc. etc...etc. :-)
    17" backback case
    Mac Office - unregistered, full copy
    5 GB iPod

    $2690 out the door for all of the above.

    I probably would have preferred the 15" form factor...although for the
    above price I'm pretty sure I can make this a free test drive if I
    really don't like the keyboard or something. I will make a big effort to
    live with it believe me. :-)

    I'm a switcher who's been using AMD+Linux (Windows as necessary) for a
    while...I'm looking forward to an easier to live with environment! It
    should kick for software development! And in a while, a G5 to look
    forward to...

    Does the 17" have a problem with the screen rubbing the keys? I'll make
    sure the seller ships it with the original protective material I guess.
    Any other issues regarding the 17"?

    TIA!

    Nym Guest