ID: 14165
Comment by: tim at pmedia dot be
Reported By: steve at petabit dot com
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: Linux
PHP Version: 4.0.5
New Comment:

Allow me to rephrase Steve's problem described in #14165 again as I'm
experiencing the same trouble.

When including a remote php-file (a php-file on another server) in a
script, that php-file is pd (if server configured to) which
basically means the script is runned.

The problem we experience is that the pd script's return value(s)
defined at the end in a return() statement don't seem to arrive in the
original script. Steve reports only 'integers'. I have seen only a '1',
which is according the docs just the value returned if no return()
statement is used.

If the 2 scripts are located on the same server, the problem doesn't
show up.

Previous Comments:

[2001-11-21 17:32:22] steve at petabit dot com

Okay, there's some simple sample code at bug 14164.

Basic idea is that I have 2 machines, one public,
one firewalled and non-routed. The public one should
be able to access the database on the private one, but
nobody else should.

Thanks for the attention!

Steve

[2001-11-21 17:01:34] [email]sniperphp.net[/email]

Maybe if you added some example script here (which you think
should work) we might understand what you mean?

And note that include/require don't return anything.
They are language constructs, not functions.

--Jani

[2001-11-21 16:35:14] steve at petabit dot com

Dear Brian, Marco et al:
Sorry to be persistent, but I am pretty sure that
my postings have been misunderstood, and the last
reply I just got from Marco confirms it.

I'm hoping once you understand the question, the
"bogus" nature of the question will go away.

According to the php "include()" manual, and
in my own experience, it is perfectly valid to
request that a remote file be executed as php,
using include() or require(). One need only
compile using "URL fopen wrappers": (manual quotes in [[[ ]]])

[[[If "URL fopen wrappers" are enabled in PHP (which they are in the
default configuration), you can specify the file to be include() ed
using an URL instead of a local pathname. See Remote files and fopen()
for more information.
]]]

It is also possible to pass variables to the include()ed
file:

[[[ If the require() ed file is called via HTTP using the fopen
wrappers, and if the target server interprets the target file as PHP
code, variables may be passed to the require() ed file using an URL
request string as used with HTTP GET. This is not strictly speaking the
same thing as require() ing the file and having it inherit the parent
file's variable scope; the script is actually being run on the remote
server and the result is then being included into the local script.
]]]

SO:
The missing feature/doc is:
How do I get the require()ed file to pass back some string
information?

I can't use the HTTP GET-style request string, or even the return()
function
within an include() (because it only returns an integer).

I don't think this is a bogus request, it seems to me to be a logical
extension of the URL request idea. If it's currently impossible, I'm
looking for a workaround.

Marco's suggestion to print out the database using cvs doesn't change
anything, since I still can't pass a string back.

Best regards,

Steve Rapaport.

[2001-11-21 15:55:06] [email]batephp.net[/email]

Hi,

what are you means with remote?

include("http://www.mysite.com/phpscript.php");
Dont work. the .php are pd befor and you cant get
source to your script. If you need content from a
database so print's it as csv and use the output in your
script.

[url]http://www.php.net/csv[/url]

-- Marco

Btw. Ask this type of question on the general or dev mailing list.

[2001-11-21 15:47:59] steve at petabit dot com

This is not the same as 14164.

Thanks for the quick response, Brian.
I appreciate that the remote file is
pd remotely, and so the var spaces
are on different machines.

Here's a rephrase of 14165:
Given that it *is* possible to pass
variable values to a remotely INCLUDE()d file
using GET-style syntax,
HOW DOES ONE GET ANYTHING BACK?
Include appears only to return a single integer,
at best.

The remotely included file is calling a database
and retrieving values. How does the calling
file access them?

[url]http://bugs.php.net/14165[/url]

--
Edit this bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=14165&edit=1[/url]