Professional Web Applications Themes

16 or 32 bit color? - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

A little OT but... All Win PCs have the possibility to set the 'color quality' on either 16 bit "medium" or 32 bit "highest" (in Properties | Settings). I can't see ANY difference between the two in PS or any other app besides the overall system performance going down (obviously) on the 32 bit setting. My video adapter is ATI Mobility Fire GL 7800 with 64Mb on a 1600 x 1200 LCD. Any thoughts on this??...

  1. #1

    Default 16 or 32 bit color?

    A little OT but... All Win PCs have the possibility to set the 'color quality' on either 16 bit "medium" or 32 bit "highest" (in Properties | Settings). I can't see ANY difference between the two in PS or any other app besides the overall system performance going down (obviously) on the 32 bit setting.

    My video adapter is ATI Mobility Fire GL 7800 with 64Mb on a 1600 x 1200 LCD.

    Any thoughts on this??
    Richard van Laar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 16 or 32 bit color?

    16bit color has 65536 possible colors, while 24 bit has millions and 32 bit has billions.

    I like using 24bit color, because it allows all RGB combinations of color. With 16 bit, the computer will render 0/0/0 (black) and 0/0/1 as the same. Of course, as you noted, your eye cannot tell the difference between these.

    (People with good can recognize more than 65,000 colors, but no-one can recognize all the 24-bit combinations.)

    If your machine has a 24-bit setting, try it. If not, live with 16-bit ... since the higher level degrades performance.
    Don McCahill Guest

  3. #3

    Don McCahill wrote:
    > 16bit color has 65536 possible colors, while 24 bit has millions
    > and 32 bit has billions.
    The 24 and 32 bit setting has the same amount of colors. They both
    have around 16.7 million colors (also called true color).
    The only difference between 24 and 32 bit is that the 32 bit setting
    has an 8 bit alpha channel that some 3D programs and games can use
    for different things (more realistic explosions in games and such).
    > I like using 24bit color, because it allows all RGB combinations
    > of color. With 16 bit, the computer will render 0/0/0 (black) and
    > 0/0/1 as the same. Of course, as you noted, your eye cannot tell
    > the difference between these.
    A simple gradient from black to white in Photoshop should convince
    most people that 16 bit (65536 colors) isn't suited for image
    editing. When the video card is set to 16 bit, you'll see banding
    in the gradient. If there doesn't seem to be any difference between
    the gradient in 16 or 24/32 bit, then the monitor isn't suited for
    image editing, in my opinion.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen.

  4. #4

    Phosphor wrote:
    > For Photoshop, leave it at 24 bit. For gaming, bump it up.
    Richard doesn't have the 24 bit setting, as far as I understand his
    first post in this thread. He has 16 and 32 bit ("medium" or "high").
    I haven't got the 24 bit setting either. It depends on the graphic
    card and/or the graphic card driver.

    <http://home19.inet.tele.dk/who_knows/matrox/colors.png>

    --
    Regards
    Madsen.

  5. #5

    Ahhh...it's all coming back to me now, Thomas. I work on Windows systems so rarely that I forgot how the controls were outfitted in the display control panel.

    In that case then:
    16-bits = 4 bits/channel for R,G, and B, plus 4 bits forr the Alpha channel
    32-bits = 8 bits/ channel for R, G, and B, plus 8 bits for the Alpha channel.

    In this case then, ALWAYS stay with 32 bit display setting. The only slowdown would be from a really antiquated system.
    Phosphor Guest

  6. #6

    Phosphor wrote:
    > In this case then, ALWAYS stay with 32 bit display setting. The
    > only slowdown would be from a really antiquated system.
    I agree.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen.

  7. #7

    Thomas Madsen wrote:
    > I haven't got the 24 bit setting either.
    I forgot to mention that I also has a setting inside the Matrox
    Parhelia driver called '1 billion (10-bit GigaColor)'. I just can't
    figure out how and when it works (I have read the doentation from
    Matrox, but I still can't figure it out).

    I have heard some people say that the setting produces 10-bit color
    in every application but I don't think they're right. If that was
    the case then I wonder why I should install a so called 'Giga Color
    Viewer' in order to see the difference (which I can't anyway) and
    I must admin that I can't see the difference in applications like
    Photoshop whether the 10 bit setting is turned on or off either.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen.

  8. #8

    I always thought the Parahelia 10-bit cards were beneficial mostly for working with video, for whatever reason.

    Up till now, Photoshop won't take advantage of 10-bit/channel data anyway.

    At least, I don't think it will. 8 bit/channel—yes. 16 bit/channel—yes. Anything in between—no.
    Phosphor Guest

  9. #9

    It would seem the video card discussion has reached a conclusion and I'd like to steer it another direction, if i may. What difference is acheived by setting your image at 8 bit vs 16 bit color? What are the compatability issues involved and what makes one better than the other and for what purpose?

    -ninja
    ninjasavant Guest

  10. #10

    16 (48) bit images allow for less destructive editing functions.

    This can be proven by comparing histograms after editing steps.

    However, human eyes also prove that it's a rare image where one will
    perceive the diff.

    16 bit is quite important in some scientific applications where finer
    nuances of information are recorded by instrumentation (other than human
    bean's eyes).

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  11. #11

    Most images you want. Few images use all of the 16-bit worth of colors at
    once. Most have just a couple thousand.

    As for 32-bit being slower with your video card. Well, 32-bit is way faster
    on mine than 16-bit is. So I guess it just depends on your system and the
    quality of your video card.

    BTW I have Matrox G550.

    nospam Guest

  12. #12

    Depends on the video card (or onboard video chip).
    Some have 16/24/32 bit.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  13. #13

    nospam wrote:
    > Well, 32-bit is way faster on mine than 16-bit is.
    Same thing here actually.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen.

  14. #14

    Phosphor wrote:
    > 8 bit/channel—yes. 16 bit/channel—yes. Anything in between—no.
    It doesn't mean that all my images turns into 10 bit/channel when
    I turn the Gigacolor setting on in the Parhelia driver.
    It means (according to Matrox) that instead of 24 bit (8 bit/channel)
    I'll get 30 bit (10 bit/channel) on my monitor. The result should be
    less chance of banding when viewing high bit images in applications
    like Photohop for instance.

    <http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/tech_info/pdfs/parhelia/giga_color.pdf>
    (See the example with the black to green gradient on page 5).

    I just can't see the difference. Maybe it's because my eyes are
    getting weak, my monitor is burned out, I'm using the wrong test
    pictures or just plain stupidity. I don't know but it's not that
    important. 24 bit color isn't so bad either

    --
    Regards
    Madsen.

  15. #15

    I'm glad someone else can't see the difference using the Parhelia Gigacolor. I understand the Matrox information, about it allowing 10 bits per channel right through the graphics pipe, but, even using the Gigacolor viewer, I saw absolutely no difference on the desktop or in Photoshop.

    I posted a note asking about it ages ago, on the Matrox forums, and got no replies - every now and then I turn it on to have a play, but then turn it off again.....

    cheers
    Klaas
    Klaas Visser Guest

  16. #16

    It all depends:

    Reduce the color depth and resolution of the display.
    InDesign can redraw the screen more quickly if the screen color depth and
    resolution are set to low values. To run InDesign in Windows, you can set
    the color depth as low as 256 colors (8-bit color) and the screen resolution
    as low as 800x600 ppi.

    - Adobe InDesign <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/22eca.htm>
    r_harvey Guest

  17. #17

    Thomas. did you compare your parhelia to other Graphic cards ? Had you by any chance a G550 to be able to tell us if the crisper display Matrox claim about the parhelias is accurate?
    Pierre Courtejoie Guest

  18. #18

    Pierre,

    I went from a G550 to the Parhelia, and, to my eyes the claim of a crisper display is accurate.

    My primary monitor runs at 1600x1200 and small text is very readable, whereas there was a slight blurring with the G550.

    For me, along with what I saw as more powerful dual monitor support, the crisper display was what got me buying the Parhelia (even though, at release, they cost $1000 Australian here).

    cheers
    Klaas
    Klaas Visser Guest

  19. #19

    the horrible reputation of their drivers...

    The drivers have improved considerably since release. Be warned, though, 3D performance is average at best - if you are heavy into 3D applications or games, you should look elsewhere - if you are after 2D performance, you won't complain.

    Ah! you are Australian?

    Born in Holland, grew up in New Zealand (from about the age of one), been living in Australia for the last 15 years ...

    New Zealander by citizenship (about to get dual citizenship as an Australian).

    cheers
    Klaas
    Klaas Visser Guest

  20. #20

    Thanks Thomas!

    I bet that the other users that claim to see a difference are not Photoshoppers nor photographers, am I right? I think that Chris Cox expressed big doubts about the Gigacolor plug-in, given that they had not even contacted Adobe about it...

    Ah Klass, I was not so far off...
    Pierre Courtejoie Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast