Professional Web Applications Themes

2.4ghz phone interference with Airport - Mac Networking

Thought I'd alert the group to an excellent tip in the new MacWorld magazine. For reference, see "Tip of the Month" on page 83 of the U.S. edition of the September 2003 MacWorld magazine, or: [url]http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/secrets/mac911/[/url] (scroll down to "Tip of the Month") It seems that 802.11x routers and 2.4ghz wireless telephones may interfere with each other, esp. if they are both transmitting on channel "6", which many phones prefer, and which may be the default of Airport base stations. I have a non-Apple 802.11g router, but when I checked, it was set to channel 6. I had noticed sporadic ...

  1. #1

    Default 2.4ghz phone interference with Airport

    Thought I'd alert the group to an excellent tip in the new MacWorld
    magazine. For reference, see "Tip of the Month" on page 83 of the U.S.
    edition of the September 2003 MacWorld magazine, or:

    [url]http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/secrets/mac911/[/url]
    (scroll down to "Tip of the Month")

    It seems that 802.11x routers and 2.4ghz wireless telephones may interfere
    with each other, esp. if they are both transmitting on channel "6", which
    many phones prefer, and which may be the default of Airport base stations.

    I have a non-Apple 802.11g router, but when I checked, it was set to
    channel 6. I had noticed sporadic communicatons failures between my
    Powerbook and the router, but hadn't traced the reason. It seems that the
    failures were indeed occurring whenever I used my wireless phone in the
    same room I keep the router.

    Simply reconfiguring the router to use channel 11 appears to have fixed my
    problem, just as recommended in the MacWorld tip.

    I just thought others might appreciate this information.

    PLM

    Patrick Mills Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: 2.4ghz phone interference with Airport

    In article <pan.2003.09.02.06.17.27.793636ix.netcom.com>,
    "Patrick Mills" <plmillsix.netcom.com> wrote:
    > Thought I'd alert the group to an excellent tip in the new MacWorld
    > magazine. For reference, see "Tip of the Month" on page 83 of the U.S.
    > edition of the September 2003 MacWorld magazine, or:
    >
    > [url]http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/secrets/mac911/[/url]
    > (scroll down to "Tip of the Month")
    >
    > It seems that 802.11x routers and 2.4ghz wireless telephones may interfere
    > with each other, esp. if they are both transmitting on channel "6", which
    > many phones prefer, and which may be the default of Airport base stations.
    >
    > I have a non-Apple 802.11g router, but when I checked, it was set to
    > channel 6. I had noticed sporadic communicatons failures between my
    > Powerbook and the router, but hadn't traced the reason. It seems that the
    > failures were indeed occurring whenever I used my wireless phone in the
    > same room I keep the router.
    >
    > Simply reconfiguring the router to use channel 11 appears to have fixed my
    > problem, just as recommended in the MacWorld tip.
    >
    > I just thought others might appreciate this information.
    >
    > PLM

    Trust me, it's not just channel 6. I have my Base Station set to ch-11
    and my phone follows it around. Doesn't matter what channel I set it
    to, eventually my phone will find it and blank it....

    Gotta get me a 5.6Ghz phone....
    Paul Hoppe Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Hi,
    Some are channel hopping, digital spread spectrum based. El Cheapo ones
    may suffer from interference.
    Tony

    Paul Hoppe wrote:
    > In article <pan.2003.09.02.06.17.27.793636ix.netcom.com>,
    > "Patrick Mills" <plmillsix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Thought I'd alert the group to an excellent tip in the new MacWorld
    >>magazine. For reference, see "Tip of the Month" on page 83 of the U.S.
    >>edition of the September 2003 MacWorld magazine, or:
    >>
    >>[url]http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/secrets/mac911/[/url]
    >>(scroll down to "Tip of the Month")
    >>
    >>It seems that 802.11x routers and 2.4ghz wireless telephones may interfere
    >>with each other, esp. if they are both transmitting on channel "6", which
    >>many phones prefer, and which may be the default of Airport base stations.
    >>
    >>I have a non-Apple 802.11g router, but when I checked, it was set to
    >>channel 6. I had noticed sporadic communicatons failures between my
    >>Powerbook and the router, but hadn't traced the reason. It seems that the
    >>failures were indeed occurring whenever I used my wireless phone in the
    >>same room I keep the router.
    >>
    >>Simply reconfiguring the router to use channel 11 appears to have fixed my
    >>problem, just as recommended in the MacWorld tip.
    >>
    >>I just thought others might appreciate this information.
    >>
    >>PLM
    >>

    > Trust me, it's not just channel 6. I have my Base Station set to ch-11
    > and my phone follows it around. Doesn't matter what channel I set it
    > to, eventually my phone will find it and blank it....
    >
    > Gotta get me a 5.6Ghz phone....
    Tony Hwang Guest

  6. #6

    Paul Hoppe wrote:
    > In article <pan.2003.09.02.06.17.27.793636ix.netcom.com>,
    > "Patrick Mills" <plmillsix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Thought I'd alert the group to an excellent tip in the new MacWorld
    >>magazine. For reference, see "Tip of the Month" on page 83 of the U.S.
    >>edition of the September 2003 MacWorld magazine, or:
    >>
    >>[url]http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/secrets/mac911/[/url]
    >>(scroll down to "Tip of the Month")
    >>
    >>It seems that 802.11x routers and 2.4ghz wireless telephones may interfere
    >>with each other, esp. if they are both transmitting on channel "6", which
    >>many phones prefer, and which may be the default of Airport base stations.
    >>
    >>I have a non-Apple 802.11g router, but when I checked, it was set to
    >>channel 6. I had noticed sporadic communicatons failures between my
    >>Powerbook and the router, but hadn't traced the reason. It seems that the
    >>failures were indeed occurring whenever I used my wireless phone in the
    >>same room I keep the router.
    >>
    >>Simply reconfiguring the router to use channel 11 appears to have fixed my
    >>problem, just as recommended in the MacWorld tip.
    >>
    >>I just thought others might appreciate this information.
    >>
    >>PLM
    >>

    > Trust me, it's not just channel 6. I have my Base Station set to ch-11
    > and my phone follows it around. Doesn't matter what channel I set it
    > to, eventually my phone will find it and blank it....
    >
    > Gotta get me a 5.6Ghz phone....
    Tony Hwang Guest

  7. #7

    In article <phoppe-DBB288.21280402092003news-central.giganews.com>,
    Paul Hoppe <phoppenospam.phoppe.com> wrote:

    > Trust me, it's not just channel 6. I have my Base Station set to ch-11
    > and my phone follows it around. Doesn't matter what channel I set it
    > to, eventually my phone will find it and blank it....
    >
    > Gotta get me a 5.6Ghz phone....
    Won't help.

    Someday hopefully the manufactorers will realize how these phones foobar
    wireless networks and return to making good 900Mhz phones. (Which worked
    better in my opinion.)
    David Turley Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Paul Hoppe wrote:
    > Gotta get me a 5.6Ghz phone....
    The way I understand it, the range for these commercial devices
    is inversely proportional to the frequency. So a 5.6 GHz phone has
    less range than a 2.4 GHz phone, which has less range than a 900
    MHz phone. Below 200 MHz, it becomes a problem of antenna length
    for the simple, low-gain dipoles that are used.
    George Williams Guest

  10. #10

    In article <phoppe-DBB288.21280402092003news-central.giganews.com>,
    Paul Hoppe <phoppenospam.phoppe.com> wrote:
    > Gotta get me a 5.6Ghz phone....
    Panasonic makes a very nice 2.8 GHz system that doesn't interfere with
    WiFi because it's DSSS. When you're using the phone the wireless
    network will occasionally get an error, but it'll retry, and on the
    retry it'll work because the phone has since moved on to a different
    frequency.

    If you are at the limit of your wireless range you might have some
    problems staying connected, but ordinarily what you should notice is
    simply a slight slowdown.

    I agree that it'd be nice to see manufacturers return to 900 MHz, but
    they won't. Lots of people already have 900 MHz phones and won't buy
    new ones, so they change the frequency.

    What I really want is to see Apple introduce an inexpensive cordless
    phone that connects to an AirPort base station using 802.11 and makes
    use of the AirPort's og phone jack for voice calls.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  11. #11

  12. #12

    In article <phoppe-DBB288.21280402092003news-central.giganews.com>,
    Paul Hoppe <phoppenospam.phoppe.com> wrote:
    > In article <pan.2003.09.02.06.17.27.793636ix.netcom.com>,
    > "Patrick Mills" <plmillsix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thought I'd alert the group to an excellent tip in the new MacWorld
    > > magazine. For reference, see "Tip of the Month" on page 83 of the U.S.
    > > edition of the September 2003 MacWorld magazine, or:
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/secrets/mac911/[/url]
    > > (scroll down to "Tip of the Month")
    > >
    > > It seems that 802.11x routers and 2.4ghz wireless telephones may interfere
    > > with each other, esp. if they are both transmitting on channel "6", which
    > > many phones prefer, and which may be the default of Airport base stations.
    > >
    > > I have a non-Apple 802.11g router, but when I checked, it was set to
    > > channel 6. I had noticed sporadic communicatons failures between my
    > > Powerbook and the router, but hadn't traced the reason. It seems that the
    > > failures were indeed occurring whenever I used my wireless phone in the
    > > same room I keep the router.
    > >
    > > Simply reconfiguring the router to use channel 11 appears to have fixed my
    > > problem, just as recommended in the MacWorld tip.
    > >
    > > I just thought others might appreciate this information.
    > >
    > > PLM
    > >

    > Trust me, it's not just channel 6. I have my Base Station set to ch-11
    > and my phone follows it around. Doesn't matter what channel I set it
    > to, eventually my phone will find it and blank it....
    >
    > Gotta get me a 5.6Ghz phone....
    I use a 900 MHz phone for that reason. I purposely avoid 2.4 GHz phones.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: [url]http://www.mc-development.com/[/url]

  13. #13