Professional Web Applications Themes

2 Color Seps With Gradient - HELP! - Macromedia Freehand

Hi folks, I'm in need of assistance and hope someone can help. Here's the situation - Against my advice, client asked me to create a vector version of a raster logo that a designer had done (my advice was not to use the gradient in a logo for a variety of reasons). Client was sold on the design, though, so I went ahead. Logo is two color - black for text and Pantone 124 for element. Element is a crescent with a radial gradient and feathered edge that goes to paper color. (Sunset type effect). The problems the print house ...

  1. #1

    Default 2 Color Seps With Gradient - HELP!

    Hi folks, I'm in need of assistance and hope someone can help.

    Here's the situation - Against my advice, client asked me to create a
    vector version of a raster logo that a designer had done (my advice was
    not to use the gradient in a logo for a variety of reasons). Client was
    sold on the design, though, so I went ahead.

    Logo is two color - black for text and Pantone 124 for element. Element
    is a crescent with a radial gradient and feathered edge that goes to
    paper color. (Sunset type effect).

    The problems the print house is having are:

    1. Logo separates into CMYK plus Spot. There is nothing on the spot
    plate, and various intensities of the element on the CMY plates.

    2. I have been able to get Freehand to recognize it's a 2 color graphic
    and just spit out two plates, but when I distill the postscript to check
    before sending, only the text shows up. The pantone plate is blank.

    3. All exported EPS versions are in CMYK. I thought I'd de-selected all
    of the convert to cmyk options, but maybe I haven't.

    The workaround I'm contemplating at this point is to replace the pantone
    with magenta and just tell the printer to use that with the proper ink,
    but I'd really like to figure this out.

    Any ideas?
    Tortured_Artist Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2 Color Seps With Gradient - HELP!

    How are you getting the feathered edge? You cannot use FHMX RGB Raster
    Effects with spot inks.

    I have also seen a bug in FHMX radial gradients when using spot inks. I
    suggest using a blend of ellipses (or crescent shapes, in your case) and
    paste inside a clipping path.

    If you upload a picture of the logo to a web site, someone here can probably
    advise you if and how it can be built with spot inks.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Judy,

    Thanks very much for your response. I hadn't heard from the layout guy
    all day, so I was hoping no news was good news. Turns out it wasn't. The
    printer is going straight to plate using FH8 on Mac OS 9, and so far all
    attempts to export the design (which looks fine in FHMX) have failed.
    The gradient gets blocky and pixellated.

    I'm getting the feathered edge with the Path: Effect: Feather option. I
    did use a paste-inside/clipping path to get the shape right, but I
    imagine that looking at the file will be a faster way to figure out how
    I did what I did.

    I've placed the file at
    http://www.tortured-artist.com/holding/problemlogo.zip and if there are
    any kind souls who can take a peek, I'd really appreciate it.

    At this point, I'd be happy with alternate workflow paths people can
    suggest (export to Photoshop at native/2x resolution perhaps?) The main
    thing is it's a two-color job, so no CMYK.

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    >[/ref]
    Tortured_Artist Guest

  4. #4

    It looks like you can re-create the logo using blends instead of the 'feather' raster effect, and keep the rest of your workflow as-is. This will turn the fade into a large number of solid shapes in diminishing tints of the spot color.

    I will email the version I just tested to the address quoted below.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    Tortured_Artist wrote:

    >>[/ref][/ref]

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    Tortured_Artist wrote:

    Whoops, previous post got away on me without a reply.

    RGB Raster Effects are for RGB raster images only, such as web images. For
    spot color separations, you cannot, must not, may NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use
    Raster Effects. Upon output to separations, FH converts the RGB raster image
    to CMY (no black).

    IMHO, RGB Raster Effects are totally, completely unsuitable for print work
    of any kind. If you design for print, DO NOT USE FHMX RASTER EFFECTS!

    Have I made myself plain?

    Sounds like Bill will send you a working file. He's a spot ink pro, so I
    know you'll get good advice from him. Good old FH8 on OS9 will produce
    excellent separations. No problems there.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    Judy and Bill, you are both lifesavers - thanks very much!

    I've been using Freehand since back in the Aldus days and blends would
    certainly have been my method of choice had I realized what feather was
    actually doing... I never paid much attention to the raster effects
    because I was doing mostly print work for so long; I don't think I ever
    mentally connected that the feather option was a raster effect.
    Freehand's supposed to be a vector program, not this newfangledy hybrid
    thing, dagnabit! =-)

    It makes perverse sense, though, that I would end up causing myself this
    grief - I spent a lot of time explaining to the client why a raster
    master logo was a horrible idea.

    Thank you both again!

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > Whoops, previous post got away on me without a reply.
    >
    > RGB Raster Effects are for RGB raster images only, such as web images. For
    > spot color separations, you cannot, must not, may NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use
    > Raster Effects. Upon output to separations, FH converts the RGB raster image
    > to CMY (no black).
    >
    > IMHO, RGB Raster Effects are totally, completely unsuitable for print work
    > of any kind. If you design for print, DO NOT USE FHMX RASTER EFFECTS!
    >
    > Have I made myself plain?
    >
    > Sounds like Bill will send you a working file. He's a spot ink pro, so I
    > know you'll get good advice from him. Good old FH8 on OS9 will produce
    > excellent separations. No problems there.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    >[/ref]
    Tortured_Artist Guest