Professional Web Applications Themes

2 different color ibooks after Apple stopped clamshell?? - Mac Portable

Was at CompUSA today and a customer had her old ibook in the Mac section getting something fixed or something. It caught my eye because it had this nice looking, shiny, almost silver color on the inside (palm rest area and border around screen), the outside was white. No, it definitely wasn't a powerbook. Asked her about it and she said it was an older version ibook. This color and finish obviously looks 10 times better, somewhat similar to the powerbook almost. Sitting next to the present ibook, it made the new one look cheap and ugly. Why would Apple ...

  1. #1

    Default 2 different color ibooks after Apple stopped clamshell??

    Was at CompUSA today and a customer had her old ibook in the Mac section
    getting something fixed or something. It caught my eye because it had
    this nice looking, shiny, almost silver color on the inside (palm rest
    area and border around screen), the outside was white. No, it definitely
    wasn't a powerbook. Asked her about it and she said it was an older
    version ibook. This color and finish obviously looks 10 times better,
    somewhat similar to the powerbook almost. Sitting next to the present
    ibook, it made the new one look cheap and ugly. Why would Apple change
    what obviously looks much better? Cheaper plastic now? Afraid it would
    cut down on powerbook sales too much? Does anyone know what year they
    changed to the dull cheaper looking white? I want to but one. The
    strange thing is, all the pictures Apple uses in ibook ads now, still
    has the old shiny silverish color even though they switched to the dull
    white! Is it possible that this better finish is still used on some now
    and some are dull white??
    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    Jim wrote:
    > it had this nice looking, shiny, almost silver color on the inside
    > (palm rest area and border around screen), the outside was white. No,
    > it definitely wasn't a powerbook. Asked her about it and she said it
    > was an older version ibook. This color and finish obviously looks 10
    > times better, somewhat similar to the powerbook almost. Sitting next
    > to the present ibook, it made the new one look cheap and ugly.
    Contrast that to my own opinion:

    "it had this tawdry-looking fake metallic color on the inside. The
    purity of the white interior of my new ibook makes the old one look
    like a Fisher-Price knockoff. The metallic coating also had an
    irritating, rough feel."

    Not sure where the "obviously" comes from after all, Jim.

    -Greg

    --
    from the sonic domain of the net TLD, with username gw2.

    "...a typical American production, with guns and special effects."
    -Tariq Aziz
    Braxton Burrsaddle Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you very much for all the info, the website was especially helpful.
    Jim

    Wojciech Orlinski wrote:

    > In <3F026406.D01E077Dprodigy.net> Jim wrote:
    >
    > > was an older version ibook. This color and finish obviously looks 10
    > > times better, somewhat similar to the powerbook almost. Sitting next
    > > to the present ibook, it made the new one look cheap and ugly. Why
    > > would Apple change what obviously looks much better? Cheaper plastic
    > > now? Afraid it would cut down on powerbook sales too much? Does anyone
    > > know what year they changed to the dull cheaper looking white?
    >
    > In November 2002 the iBook line consisted of the low-end "opaque" model
    > with 700 MHz and high-end "crystal" machines with 800 MHz. In April 2003
    > the whole iBook line got some speed bump and opaque look.
    >
    > > I want
    > > to buy one. The strange thing is, all the pictures Apple uses in ibook
    > > ads now, still has the old shiny silverish color even though they
    > > switched to the dull white! Is it possible that this better finish is
    > > still used on some now and some are dull white??
    >
    > No, but some models phased out in April 2003 may still remain in sales
    > somewhere. You will find all the info you need here:
    >
    > [url]http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/03/05/27/[/url]
    >
    > --
    > Serwis Usenet w portalu Gazeta.pl -> [url]http://www.gazeta.pl/usenet/[/url]
    Jim Guest