Professional Web Applications Themes

2 errors: "The parameter is incorrect" and "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress." - ASP

Hello, I am writing an ASP app which is giving me some very frustrating errors. They appear intermittently, no real pattern to them, and often go away if you reload, or back up a few pages and start over again. The first error is logged as a 400 error and says only, "The parameter is incorrect." It (mostly, but not always) happens upon submitting a form, and a reload is generally successful in bringing the page up just fine. I have previously made the problem go away by changing the form from method=post to method=get, but now I have a ...

  1. #1

    Default 2 errors: "The parameter is incorrect" and "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress."

    Hello,

    I am writing an ASP app which is giving me some very frustrating
    errors. They appear intermittently, no real pattern to them, and often
    go away if you reload, or back up a few pages and start over again.

    The first error is logged as a 400 error and says only, "The parameter
    is incorrect." It (mostly, but not always) happens upon submitting a
    form, and a reload is generally successful in bringing the page up
    just fine. I have previously made the problem go away by changing the
    form from method=post to method=get, but now I have a form which must
    be post.

    The second error is logged as a 500 error and says only, "Overlapped
    I/O operation is in progress."

    I'll paste some in-progress code below. It's *very* rough. Basically,
    the idea is that on a previous page, an array is set in session scope
    which contains an arbitrary number of elements. The user then is shown
    one page for each element in the array with a form for him to edit the
    contents of the array. The code I'm pasting is the element edit page,
    which at this point only submits to itself and does no processing of
    the submission at all---but it's throwing errors anyway.

    This IS the only page on which I see the I/O error. This is NOT the
    only page on which I see the parameter incorrect error. Any general
    tips on how to trap/debug these errors would be greatly, greatly
    appreciated---my project is at a standstill until I can figure
    something out. Thank you.

    <%LANGUAGE="VBScript"%>
    <%response.expires=-1%>
    <% If Session("intCurrentElement") < Session("intElementsCount")
    Then%>
    <h2><%=Session("arrElementValues")(Session("intCur rentElement"),1)%></h2>
    <form name="EditElement" method="post" action="EditElementValue.asp">
    <textarea cols="60" rows="20"
    name="Element<%=Session("arrElementValues")(Sessio n("intCurrentElement"),0)%>">
    <%=Session("arrElementValues")(Session("intCurrent Element"),2)%>
    </textarea>
    <input type="Submit">
    </form>
    <% Else Response.Write("end")End If%>
    <%Session("intCurrentElement") = Session("intCurrentElement") + 1%>
    Michelle Kinsey-Clinton Guest

  2. #2

    Check your event log for any signs of problems with your hard disk or your
    RAID controller, should you have one. Run a scandisk and other such things.

    Ray at home

    --
    Will trade ASP help for SQL Server help

    "Michelle Kinsey-Clinton" <michellesapphireblue.com> wrote in message
    news:108f3c2e.0308101605.4963747fposting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am writing an ASP app which is giving me some very frustrating
    > errors. They appear intermittently, no real pattern to them, and often
    > go away if you reload, or back up a few pages and start over again.
    >
    > The first error is logged as a 400 error and says only, "The parameter
    > is incorrect." It (mostly, but not always) happens upon submitting a
    > form, and a reload is generally successful in

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    Nothing in the event log to correspond to these errors.

    But would hard disk or similar problems manifest themselves in errors
    displayed in the web browser?

  4. #4

    "Michelle Kinsey-Clinton" <michellesapphireblue.com> wrote in message
    news:108f3c2e.0308111003.518543e3posting.google.c om...
    > Nothing in the event log to correspond to these errors.
    >
    > But would hard disk or similar problems manifest themselves in errors
    > displayed in the web browser?
    I'm not sure about that, and it's not really the easiest thing to test
    unless I go gouge a hard drive with a driver. I don't want to do that
    though. You aren't running this site off a CD ROM or anything, right? Are
    you running this site on XP Pro SP1 with the files on a W2K server that is
    also a DC? That can cause lots of I/O errors. Beyond that, I'm not sure
    what to tell you. But if you're getting I/O errors and all the files are on
    local hard drives, it seems that it would be a hardware related issue.

    Ray at work

  5. #5

    > The second error is logged as a 500 error and says only, "Overlapped
    > I/O operation is in progress."
    This has nothing to do with disk errors, this is a valid error message
    coming from SQL Server.

    Unfortunately, the code you included is not going to be helpful in solving
    the problem, because the error comes from SQL Server, not session code...

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  6. #6

    Here is the result of a Google search: [url]http://tinyurl.com/joou[/url]

    And here are the results of a Knowledge Base search:
    [url]http://tinyurl.com/jop4[/url]

    Enjoy,
    Bob Barrows
    Michelle Kinsey-Clinton wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am writing an ASP app which is giving me some very frustrating
    > errors. They appear intermittently, no real pattern to them, and often
    > go away if you reload, or back up a few pages and start over again.
    >
    > The first error is logged as a 400 error and says only, "The parameter
    > is incorrect." It (mostly, but not always) happens upon submitting a
    > form, and a reload is generally successful in bringing the page up
    > just fine. I have previously made the problem go away by changing the
    > form from method=post to method=get, but now I have a form which must
    > be post.
    >
    > The second error is logged as a 500 error and says only, "Overlapped
    > I/O operation is in progress."
    >
    > I'll paste some in-progress code below. It's *very* rough. Basically,
    > the idea is that on a previous page, an array is set in session scope
    > which contains an arbitrary number of elements. The user then is shown
    > one page for each element in the array with a form for him to edit the
    > contents of the array. The code I'm pasting is the element edit page,
    > which at this point only submits to itself and does no processing of
    > the submission at all---but it's throwing errors anyway.
    >
    > This IS the only page on which I see the I/O error. This is NOT the
    > only page on which I see the parameter incorrect error. Any general
    > tips on how to trap/debug these errors would be greatly, greatly
    > appreciated---my project is at a standstill until I can figure
    > something out. Thank you.

    > <%LANGUAGE="VBScript"%>
    > <%response.expires=-1%>
    > <% If Session("intCurrentElement") < Session("intElementsCount")
    > Then%>
    > <h2><%=Session("arrElementValues")(Session("intCur rentElement"),1)%></h2>
    > <form name="EditElement" method="post" action="EditElementValue.asp">
    > <textarea cols="60" rows="20"

    name="Element<%=Session("arrElementValues")(Sessio n("intCurrentElement"),0)%
    >">
    > <%=Session("arrElementValues")(Session("intCurrent Element"),2)%>
    > </textarea>
    > <input type="Submit">
    > </form>
    > <% Else Response.Write("end")End If%>
    > <%Session("intCurrentElement") = Session("intCurrentElement") + 1%>

    Bob Barrows Guest