Professional Web Applications Themes

2 Part Question: Font Effects and Printers - Macromedia Freehand

I am having a problem loosing the font effects in Freehand (ex: inline effect) when exporting, converting to paths or sending to professional printer. I am doing event programs with multiple pages and like to use them often. The only way I have found it to work is exporting it as a 300 dpi jpg, but it does not turn out as crisp and takes much more time. Should I just give in and use InDesign instead? Any suggestions? Also, I have been forced to use a new professional printer recently, and they are having problems with my fonts in ...

  1. #1

    Default 2 Part Question: Font Effects and Printers

    I am having a problem loosing the font effects in Freehand (ex: inline effect)
    when exporting, converting to paths or sending to professional printer. I am
    doing event programs with multiple pages and like to use them often. The only
    way I have found it to work is exporting it as a 300 dpi jpg, but it does not
    turn out as crisp and takes much more time. Should I just give in and use
    InDesign instead? Any suggestions?

    Also, I have been forced to use a new professional printer recently, and they
    are having problems with my fonts in my doents running together (loosing
    spaces). Also, my placed grayscale images are coming back with sepia
    overtones. They are having a hard time explaining why this is happening and I
    am wondering if this may be a fault on my end. Any ideas/thoughts would be
    welcome!

    Jennifer_Robinson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2 Part Question: Font Effects and Printers

    Umm ... seems this is at least a 3-part question. :-)

    Part 1 -- text effects:
    FH Text effects are Postscript commands. They only work with Postscript
    output, such as EPS export or printing directly from FH to a Postscript
    printer. Is the 'professional printer' printing directly from FreeHand?

    This is from the FHMX Help files under the peculiar, repetitive heading:
    "Contents> Using Type> Applying text effects > Applying text effect"

    "Applying text effects can make redrawing slower as you work with doents.
    You can set options to avoid this problem when editing. In addition, text
    effects may be lost when printing to non-PostScript printers, converting to
    paths, or exporting to some file formats."

    Part 2 -- font spacing:
    The font spacing issue might be a result of a corrupt font or mismatched
    fonts. Is the 'professional printer' working with the exact same version of
    the font on the same platform as you? Does this happen with all fonts or
    just one font? Does it happen only if you have text effects applied to the
    text?

    Convert text to paths, if possible, to prevent font problems.

    Part 3 -- Grayscale images going sepia:
    Are the images Grayscale TIFFs, or just gray-colored RFGB JPEG images or
    gray-colored RGB TIFFs?

    If you are adding RGB Raster Effect to or overlapping a Grayscale TIFF, then
    FHMX will re-rasterize the image as RGB and then convert to CMY (that's
    right -- no K --meaning no Black). This might explain the sepia overtones.

    RGB Raster Effects are useful for creating RGB web images. For CMYK
    printing, they cause nothing but headaches, IMHO.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    I haven't tried exporting the text effect portions as eps files then
    reimporting them into the main doent. I have been exporting as jpg,
    converting to a transparent grayscale tiff then importing, but it would sure
    save the step if the eps works. I will have to try that.

    As far as the font spacing, it happens on several different fonts, but not
    all. My printer uses FH10, so I export down, but I package all the fonts when
    I send my doents. See, the problem is I do not have the capability of
    printing all of my doents full scale. When I take them to be approved, they
    (my superiors) don't always find everything that they want changed. I usually
    leave most of the text in text blocks as oppose to paths so when they make
    changes on the printers proof, I don't have to send them a whole new doent.

    Also, that explains the sepia I think. I will be sticking with the grayscale
    tiffs on this also.

    The more you know.... heh. Thanks for all your help!

    Jennifer_Robinson Guest

  4. #4

    Jennifer_Robinson wrote:

    That would be of no use if you aren't printing to a Postscript printer,
    as I suspect is the case. EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files will only
    print properly on Postscript devices. Is your printer Postscript? What
    about the 'professional printer's printer? If they aren't using
    Postscript devices/RIPs, they have no business calling themselves
    professional and you need to dump them quickly.

    That would explain the colour shift. The use of transparent greyscale
    TIFFs is a Raster Effect, and as Judy said, using these will result in
    unpredictable CMYK output, so it's best avoided.

    This could also be a result of non-Postscript printing. I remember
    seeing some whacky spacing when using Postscript Type 1 fonts and
    printing to my Epson 1270 at home from Freehand 8. What format fonts the
    problem ones? TrueType, Postscript or OpenType?

    In summary:
    If you're using non-Postscript printers, avoid text effects.
    Avoid Raster Effects altogether (this includes importing transparent or
    alpha-masked images).
    Don't use a 'professional printer' that doesn't use Postscript output
    devices.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Guest