Professional Web Applications Themes

2 PCs, 1 Linux install/drive? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Any and All, I have 2 PCs in different offices. I 'move' between them every week, and want to take my data, etc with me. Both PCs have a removable drive setup. Both have a 'frame' into one of the available external bays. I have a 30GB hard drive into a 'tray' that I will carry between the 2 PCs. I want to install Linux on the removable drive, something like this: 1> Linux Installed for Home1PC with boot diskette 2> Linux Installed for Home2PC with boot diskette 3> My data, programs, etc, available to both installations How can I ...

  1. #1

    Default 2 PCs, 1 Linux install/drive?

    Any and All,

    I have 2 PCs in different offices. I 'move' between them every week, and
    want to take my data, etc with me.

    Both PCs have a removable drive setup. Both have a 'frame' into one of the
    available external bays. I have a 30GB hard drive into a 'tray' that I will
    carry between the 2 PCs.

    I want to install Linux on the removable drive, something like this:

    1> Linux Installed for Home1PC with boot diskette
    2> Linux Installed for Home2PC with boot diskette
    3> My data, programs, etc, available to both installations

    How can I do this?

    The two PCs are different, in at least these particulars:

    a) one has Athlon, other Pentium3, both 1MHz
    b) one has 540MB, other 384MB
    c) Home1PC's SwapDrive is Drive D: (hdb?) (two hard drives)
    Home2PC's SwapDrive is Drive F: (has 5 hard drives)
    d) Both have WinXP OS, NTFS
    e) one has wired ethernet, other wireless ethernet

    I installed Linux on various PCs available to me from 1995 to 2000.
    I started with Red Hat 4.2, then 5, the Suse 6.3, 7.0, & 7.3
    I did these installs on at 4 different PCs in that time

    I DO NOT want dual boot on any of these PCs

    So, how do I proceed?

    Thanks, Bob Hyatt

    Bob Hyatt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2 PCs, 1 Linux install/drive?

    Bob Hyatt scribbled:
    > Any and All,
    >
    > I have 2 PCs in different offices. I 'move' between them every week, and
    > want to take my data, etc with me.
    >
    > Both PCs have a removable drive setup. Both have a 'frame' into one of the
    > available external bays. I have a 30GB hard drive into a 'tray' that I
    > will carry between the 2 PCs.
    You could run the Knoppix distribution from CDR and avoid installing
    GNU/Linux on either machine but still have access to yur data on the
    removable HD though a simple mount command. There are other distributions
    which offer LiveCD functionality as well.

    <deletia>

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

    horne Guest

  3. #3

    Horne,

    I downloaded Knoppix and it did boot fine on one of the two machines.

    The other machine, the monitor went blank and the normally green status led
    on the monitor went red. I had never seen red before, so I noticed it
    immediately and turned the monitor off, then the pc.

    It looks like I will need a bit more help or hints on how to resolve that
    issue.

    Regards, Bob Hyatt

    news:EK67b.422903$4UE.373691news01.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com...

  4. #4

    Horne,

    I downloaded Knoppix and it did boot on both pcs, however on one of them the
    monitor went black and the status led, which normally is green, was red. I
    had never seen the red (did not know it could do this!), so I turned off the
    monitor and then shut down the pc.

    I would appreciate a hint on how to deal with this.

    Bob