Professional Web Applications Themes

2 questions - external modem and printing forms - SCO

hello, I have 2 questions for the list. What is the correct way to add an external modem? I have 2 US robotics external sportster 28800 via serial cable. (each on a serial port, COM1 AND 2) I tried following the docs on the sco site, but when I run cu -ltty2A dir, I just get a prompt...it's stuck, doesn't do anything, can't type anything. I added the modem manually as a sporster external 28800. running mkdev serial shows the 2 ports correctly. They also show up with same info running hwconfig | grep serial. The other issue is printing ...

  1. #1

    Default 2 questions - external modem and printing forms

    hello,
    I have 2 questions for the list. What is the correct way to add an
    external modem? I have 2 US robotics external sportster 28800 via
    serial cable. (each on a serial port, COM1 AND 2) I tried following
    the docs on the sco site, but when I run cu -ltty2A dir, I just get a
    prompt...it's stuck, doesn't do anything, can't type anything.
    I added the modem manually as a sporster external 28800. running mkdev
    serial shows the 2 ports correctly. They also show up with same info
    running hwconfig | grep serial.

    The other issue is printing forms. I copied a database from another
    machine to a test one. The database works fine, but printing forms is a
    problem. The text is a bit too low and to the left. How can I raise
    the text 1 line and make it shift over 2 characters or so to start
    printing? Also, what file on the original box has this info? This was
    working good on the original box....I didn't do anything to that
    harddrive. But I have no idea where the config settings for the forms
    would be at. I was told it was in the database...but I don't think so
    because it's not working!

    Thanks,

    Oskar

    pheonix1t Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2 questions - external modem and printing forms

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:14:57 GMT, pheonix1t
    <eionet> wrote:

    What flavor/version of SCO? (uname -X)

    What prompt are you seeing?

    Are you sure your modem is set to echo the characters you type? For
    example, do you see OK if you type 'at' (no quotes) and press enter?
    Turn on the echoing of typed characters with ate1.

    What kind (make/model) of printers?

    I'm guessing(tm) that it IS in the database. You probably need to
    play around with left/right/top/bottom margins on the printer itself.

    Check the printer configuration on the working box, and compare that
    to the printer config on the test system. What interfaces (model) are
    they using? What forms, if any, are configured? (scoadmin printer
    -or- mkdev lp to see that information)

    Scott McMillan

    Scott Guest

  3. #3

    Scott McMillan wrote:

    > What flavor/version of SCO? (uname -X)[/ref]
    # uname -X

    System = SCO_SV
    Node = scosysv
    Release = 3.2v5.0.5
    KernelID = 98/07/02
    Machine = PentII(D)
    BusType = ISA
    Serial = 2FL055688
    Users = 15-user
    OEM# = 0
    Origin# = 1
    NumCPU = 1

    #

    see above

    when I typed 'at' and hit enter, I get this
    # at
    ^Cat: not found
    # ate1
    ate1: not found
    # atel
    atel: not found
    # ate1
    ate1: not found

    > What kind (make/model) of printers?[/ref]
    HP4M

    I think I found the configs for the printers in here
    /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers

    Now I just have to compare them with the original
    none in the new one....I'll get back to you with what's in the original.
    damn it! no one doented this stuff!
    I'm writing all this stuff in a disaster recovery manual....this site
    has been lucky this machine never died on them! If it did, recovery
    would've been a nightmare!

    (scoadmin printer

    > Scott McMillan
    >[/ref]

    thank you Scott!

    pheonix1t Guest

  4. #4

    pheonix1t <eionet> wrote:
    >when I typed 'at' and hit enter, I get this
    ># at
    >^Cat: not found
    ># ate1
    >ate1: not found
    ># atel
    >atel: not found
    ># ate1
    >ate1: not found[/ref]

    After you'ved cu'ed to the modem.. :-)

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:29:02 GMT, pheonix1t
    <eionet> wrote:

    >> What flavor/version of SCO? (uname -X)[/ref]
    ># uname -X
    >
    >System = SCO_SV
    >Node = scosysv
    >Release = 3.2v5.0.5
    >KernelID = 98/07/02
    >Machine = PentII(D)
    >BusType = ISA
    >Serial = 2FL055688
    >Users = 15-user
    >OEM# = 0
    >Origin# = 1
    >NumCPU = 1
    >
    >#

    >see above[/ref]

    "I just get a prompt..." doesn't tell me _what_ you're seeing. Do
    you see "Connected" after you issue your cu command?

    >when I typed 'at' and hit enter, I get this
    ># at
    >^Cat: not found
    ># ate1
    >ate1: not found
    ># atel
    >atel: not found
    ># ate1
    >ate1: not found
    >[/ref]

    Did you type the at commands after you cu'ed to the modem?? If so,
    then you are not getting connected, and there should have been some
    sort of error message(s). Post those.

    >> What kind (make/model) of printers?[/ref]
    >HP4M[/ref]

    OK, are you moving the same printer back and forth between the 2
    systems? If not, double-check that the setup on the printers is
    identical.

    >I think I found the configs for the printers in here
    >/var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers
    >
    >Now I just have to compare them with the original[/ref]

    It's more likely that you want to compare the contents of the
    /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/<printername> files. When you say
    'forms', do you mean you are mounting forms via 'mkdev lp'? You may
    need to check the contents of /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/forms as well.

    >none in the new one....I'll get back to you with what's in the original.
    >damn it! no one doented this stuff!
    >I'm writing all this stuff in a disaster recovery manual....this site
    >has been lucky this machine never died on them! If it did, recovery
    >would've been a nightmare!
    >

    > (scoadmin printer
    >>

    >> Scott McMillan
    >>[/ref]