Professional Web Applications Themes

2 ways to generate PDFs from InDesign give different results - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

There are 2 ways to generate a PDF from ID2: Export as pdf or Print Postscript file and then Distill that file. When I use both ways (with the same settings) I get different sized doents. Distilling the postscript file always yields a much smaller file. Why? Dennis Dunbar...

  1. #1

    Default 2 ways to generate PDFs from InDesign give different results

    Dennis_Dunbar@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    What do you mean by different size - different file size (e.g., in MB) or different dimensions?
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Printing via Distiller forces, among other things, a flattening of the file. PostScript does not support flattening. Distilling a PostScript file to PDF actually makes a slightly dumbed-down version of the file, although it way look and print identical to an exported PDF.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    For the job we're concerned with I a smaller PDF is better because it RIPS on our Canons faster. I'm hoping there is a way to get the smaller pdf using the PDF Export command but so far my experiments have proven fruitless.

    Is there a way to get this to happen?
    Dennis_Dunbar@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    > Is there a way to get this to happen?

    Not really. I'm a bit surprised to see you're more concerned about file
    size than quality for RIPing the files.

    The files created via distilling and export are way too different once
    you hit Acrobat 5 compatibility to be able to compare them.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    For the job we're concerned with I a smaller PDF is better because it RIPS
    on our Canons faster.

    Are you dropping the PDFs directly on your printer or printing (creating
    Postscript) from the file. If the latter, then the actual size of the PDF
    may not correlate to the size of the Postscript file it generates, which is
    what your rip needs to digest.

    Larry

    Larry_Grohman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Just to clarify a bit the doents I am concerned with here are just used for records of what prints we have sent to the client, (we're an advertising agency). When we send a presentation out to the client we send copies of these "records" to them along with large glossy prints. The large glossy prints are to show the quality of the images, the records are just for reference so as long as the laser prints look OK they're fine.

    When we are sending out the presentation time is usually really short and thus we need a file that will RIP quickly. After the pdf is made we open it up in Acrobat and print to the Canons we have here in house. When I make the pdf using the PDF Export dialogue in InDesign the larger files take a long, long time to print. When I make the pdf by distilling the postscript file the smaller files print quickly. But distilling this way takes an extra step or 2 and I'd like to find a way to make the process easier so there is less time pressure.
    Dennis_Dunbar@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Unless I've missed something you haven't give details on the setting
    you're using to export or distill.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    But distilling this way takes an extra step or 2 and I'd like to find a way
    to make the process easier so there is less time pressure.

    There are several ways to do this in one step using distiller.
    You can select "Adobe PDF" as your printer which produces PDF with distiller
    in the background. Or you can set up Watched Folders. When you do this, you
    save your Postscript file to that folder, and Distiller will automatically
    produce your PDFs using the settings you predefined for the watched folder.

    But to your point about the ID files taking longer to RIP, you might want to
    revisit your settings, as the rip times should not be significantly
    different if all things are equal.

  10. #10

    From our experience at Adobe, the size of a PDF file is not necessarily a good indication of performance when RIPing the file. Furthermore, the "larger" PDF file may contain metadata and various other application data that is totally ignored in the RIP process.

    - Dov