Professional Web Applications Themes

2002 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket'/tmp/mysql.sock'(46) - Dreamweaver AppDev

:confused; Thanks to gareth, I got rid os the unspecified error... but now I have this. What's it mean? 2002 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'(46)...

  1. #1

    Default 2002 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket'/tmp/mysql.sock'(46)

    :confused;

    Thanks to gareth, I got rid os the unspecified error... but now I have this. What's it mean?

    2002 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'(46)
    Gooder Guest

  2. #2

    Gooder wrote:
    but now I have this. What's it mean?

    It means that your MySQL server isn't running. Since it's error 2002
    that you've got, it means you must be running on Mac OS X. Did you
    install the startupItem when you installed MySQL. It should start the
    program every time you restart your computer.

    --
    David Powers
    Author, "Foundation PHP 5 for Flash" (friends of ED)

  3. #3

    I have the WinMySQLAdmin that shows it running. It's like a traffic light and
    the green light is on. Course I only have MySQL 4.0.24, is that the problem?
    I tried upgrading to a newer version, but when I did my system went haywire. I
    can't even remember how I fixed it except that I went back to an earlier point
    in time on 'puter.

    I'm making the connection...supposedly... but getting the same "no tables
    found" as others

    Gooder Guest

  4. #4

    Gooder wrote:

    It sounds as though you've made a mess of things. Presumably if you're
    using WinMySQLAdmin, you're on Windows, although I've only ever come
    across the socket problem on Mac OS X or Linux.

    One thing you can try is this (assuming you're on Windows):

    Open a Windows Command Prompt window
    Type the following commands:

    cd c:\mysql\bin
    mysqladmin -p -u root -h 127.0.0.1 shutdown

    Enter your MySQL root password when prompted.

    That should close down MySQL. You can then try restarting it.

    If that doesn't work, you should completely uninstall MySQL and start
    all over again.

  5. #5

    I've uninstalled MySQL and resintalled it...per your suggestion David, so I'm
    posting this question in both the MySQL forums and here....

    When I try to run the instance configuration wizard, I get through it to point
    where it should be starting the service and then I get the following message
    "Cannot create Windows service for MySQL. Error: 0"

    I've gone to the follwing website

    http://www.ysisandsolutions.com/code/mybasic.htm#installation

    but it looks like it's saying I should have gone there first before installing
    MySQL 4.1. Should I uninstall again and follow the information on this site?
    Or can someone ehlpe me get it connected more easily than this?

    Gooder Guest

  6. #6

    Gooder wrote:

    The difficulty with trying to help someone like you is that I don't have
    the full history of your problems, as you seem to have posted them in
    different threads.

    That means that your previous installation created a Windows service for
    MySQL, and has not been removed. The ideal way would be to get rid of
    it, but if you have already uninstalled the previous version, it's
    unlikely that you can do so. The simple answer is to run the MySQL
    Configuration wizard again, and select a different name for the MySQL
    service. I can't remember all the options in the drop-down menu, but
    there's something like MySQL41. It doesn't matter what you call it, as
    long as it's not MySQL. You should then be able to get up and running.

  7. #7

    Done it... it connects/creates a windows service....but now I have new
    message. Fix one, get another, I guess.

    Here's what I have now....

    Error No. 2013
    Lost connection to MySQL server during query

    If a personal firewall is running on your machine, please make sure you have
    opened TCP pot 3306 for connections. Otherwise no client application can
    connect to the server. After you have opened the port, please press retry to
    apply the security settings.

    Then it says something about if your are re-installing after an uninstall
    please select skip...

    I went to the firewall settings, followed what the help files said to do, and
    still no go. I even uninstalled and reinstalled MySQL again. Still no go.

    I selected skip and now get....

    The security settings could not be applied.
    Error Number 2013
    Lost connection to MySQL server during query

    Now <sigh> what do I do. Sorry keep going with this mess. I have a good
    contract coming on if I can get this configured.

    Thanks, David!

    Nancy

    Gooder Guest

  8. #8

    Gooder wrote:

    Sorry, can't really be of much help. MySQL is normally a breeze to
    install. I'm pretty sure the reason it says "The security settings could
    not be applied" is because you have successfully set up a root password
    for MySQL previously. When uninstalling, MySQL does *not* remove any
    existing data tables. You have to remove them manually from C:\program
    files\mysql\mysql server 4.1\data.

    I've never come across error 2013, but you will see a lot of results if
    you google for "mysql error 2013". Most seem to refer to the firewall
    problem. I did find one that related to WinXP on a network. That was
    solved by adding the following line to my.ini, and restarting the MySQL
    service:

    skip-name-resolve

    It needs to go on a line of its own in the section that begins [mysqld].
    I don't know if that will do the trick.