Professional Web Applications Themes

2002 site won't open for some people - Web Design

Ok, I've read alot of David's articles and tried to do everything feasible and tried to make this site as simple as possible. I created a website for a bunch of gardeners and quite a few of them say things like, "the pictures don't show up", or "I just got a page with gibberish", or it won't load. Now remember these are people that think computers are occupied by little people who type messages back to them so ideas like "update IE", and questions like "which browser are you using?" Or, "are you using a Mac or IBM clone" are ...

  1. #1

    Default 2002 site won't open for some people

    Ok, I've read alot of David's articles and tried to do
    everything feasible and tried to make this site as simple
    as possible. I created a website for a bunch of gardeners
    and quite a few of them say things like, "the pictures
    don't show up", or "I just got a page with gibberish", or
    it won't load. Now remember these are people that think
    computers are occupied by little people who type messages
    back to them so ideas like "update IE", and questions
    like "which browser are you using?" Or, "are you using a
    Mac or IBM clone" are answered by glazed looks in their
    eyes. Is this something to do with the fact it is on a
    virtual website (soncom.com)? The site is
    [url]http://www.naturesnestfarm.com[/url]. Does anyone have any
    software where they can check out the site and tell me any
    potential problems it may have? We are aware that on the
    last 3 pages the pictures are getting a little large, but
    it seems like the home page should at least be ok. Thanks!
    Bob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2002 site won't open for some people

    I just took a look at the site and I could find nothing that should cause
    any issues for the "majority". That being users running IE 5 or higher on
    Windows 98 or higher. The site is simple and clean and you are using 2002
    with the Service Packs. The code is about as clean as 2002 can get.
    Now the pages aren't supported on Mac's. So if you have users running Mac's
    you are just sol. But I personally doubt users like you describe are running
    Mac's. Most Mac's are the artistic, techy, trendy crowd.
    But the type of user you describe might very well be using Win 95 and IE 3
    or Netscape 4.
    NS 4 will choke on the 2002 pub page, so that would be the "gibberish".
    Also such users are likely on dial-ups barely making 26k down-loads, and you
    have lots of photos. I'd say its most likely "not" a case of images not
    them to load.
    If you need the images then there isn't really anything you can do there.
    Other than perhaps putting a notice on the page that in effect states to be
    patient.

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:

    "Bob" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I've read alot of David's articles and tried to do
    > everything feasible and tried to make this site as simple
    > as possible. I created a website for a bunch of gardeners
    > and quite a few of them say things like, "the pictures
    > don't show up", or "I just got a page with gibberish", or
    > it won't load. Now remember these are people that think
    > computers are occupied by little people who type messages
    > back to them so ideas like "update IE", and questions
    > like "which browser are you using?" Or, "are you using a
    > Mac or IBM clone" are answered by glazed looks in their
    > eyes. Is this something to do with the fact it is on a
    > virtual website (soncom.com)? The site is
    > [url]http://www.naturesnestfarm.com[/url]. Does anyone have any
    > software where they can check out the site and tell me any
    > potential problems it may have? We are aware that on the
    > last 3 pages the pictures are getting a little large, but
    > it seems like the home page should at least be ok. Thanks!

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest