Professional Web Applications Themes

20D Battery Grip and AA's - Photography

Just got my new 20D with battery grip. But I have quickly discovered that I can only get one shot out of a fresh set of alkalines installed in battery grip and then upon the next shutter release...I get a blank display and dead battery indicator flashing. I called Canon Canada...and their phone rep told me that the tech behind said I need to use high milliamp output batteries. Obviously referring to rechargeable NiMH. But why do they claim it will run for about 80 shots on regular alkalines??? I find this VERY disappointing for one big reason I got ...

  1. #1

    Default 20D Battery Grip and AA's

    Just got my new 20D with battery grip. But I have quickly discovered that I
    can only get one shot out of a fresh set of alkalines installed in battery
    grip and then upon the next shutter release...I get a blank display and dead
    battery indicator flashing. I called Canon Canada...and their phone rep told
    me that the tech behind said I need to use high milliamp output batteries.
    Obviously referring to rechargeable NiMH. But why do they claim it will run
    for about 80 shots on regular alkalines??? I find this VERY disappointing
    for one big reason I got the grip is to have that "limp home" ability with
    widely available alkalines!
    Anyone else having this problem?

    Scott Evans Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 20D Battery Grip and AA's

    Doesn't sound right to me.
    I got 50 or so shots from a set of 2 year old (new) batteries from mine.
    Maybe your lens is a high drain affair?

    "Scott Evans" <mbsevanshotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just got my new 20D with battery grip. But I have quickly discovered that
    > can only get one shot out of a fresh set of alkalines installed in battery
    > grip and then upon the next shutter release...I get a blank display and
    dead
    > battery indicator flashing. I called Canon Canada...and their phone rep
    told
    > me that the tech behind said I need to use high milliamp output batteries.
    > Obviously referring to rechargeable NiMH. But why do they claim it will
    run
    > for about 80 shots on regular alkalines??? I find this VERY disappointing
    > for one big reason I got the grip is to have that "limp home" ability with
    > widely available alkalines!
    > Anyone else having this problem?

    Ryadia Guest

  3. #3

    Well I tried a 2 year old set of Duracell ProCells and a newer set of
    Memorex alkalines all with same results.
    Now...I did peform the firmware update to 1.1.0 with AA installed, but my
    assumption there was all will be fine as long as camera has uninterrupted
    power during the upgrade. So I do NOT think that is anything to do with the
    issue. As far as the lens...I have the 17-85 IS but even with auto focus and
    stabilization turned off...still same result. VERY frustrating! Anyone else?

  4. #4

    It is a problem common to many if not all BG-E2s Canon is dealing with
    it soon.

    ZONED! Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

    Where does this come from? Is this your opinion or based upon information
    read elsewhere? Your own experience? Huh?

    "ZONED!" <zonedhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1103220993.469812.247140c13g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > It is a problem common to many if not all BG-E2s Canon is dealing with
    > it soon.

    Scott Evans Guest

  7. #7

    Don't use Alkaline batteries !

    Get AA Lithium.

    Dave

    "Scott Evans" <mbsevanshotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Just got my new 20D with battery grip. But I have quickly discovered that I
    | can only get one shot out of a fresh set of alkalines installed in battery
    | grip and then upon the next shutter release...I get a blank display and dead
    | battery indicator flashing. I called Canon Canada...and their phone rep told
    | me that the tech behind said I need to use high milliamp output batteries.
    | Obviously referring to rechargeable NiMH. But why do they claim it will run
    | for about 80 shots on regular alkalines??? I find this VERY disappointing
    | for one big reason I got the grip is to have that "limp home" ability with
    | widely available alkalines!
    | Anyone else having this problem?

    David H. Lipman Guest

  8. #8

    The first part (It is a problem common to many if not all BG-E2s ) Is a
    fact based on personal experience (multiple bodies and grips), not to
    mention posts in DPreview
    [url]http://search.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=20d+grip&forum=1019[/url]
    .. The second part (Canon is dealing with it soon ) is what a Canon rep.
    told me in a face to face meeting on Saturday 12/11 at a major camera
    store nearby. I cannot attest to the validity of his statement.

    ZONED! Guest

  9. #9

    Read Canon batter grip doents.
    Lithiums are not meant to work in this grip.
    I swear to God.

  10. #10

    I'm from Missouri

    Show me.

    Dave

    | Read Canon batter grip doents.
    | Lithiums are not meant to work in this grip.
    | I swear to God.
    |
    | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    | > Don't use Alkaline batteries !
    | >
    | > Get AA Lithium.
    | >
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Scott Evans" <mbsevanshotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | Just got my new 20D with battery grip. But I have quickly discovered
    | that I
    | > | can only get one shot out of a fresh set of alkalines installed in
    | battery
    | > | grip and then upon the next shutter release...I get a blank display and
    | dead
    | > | battery indicator flashing. I called Canon Canada...and their phone rep
    | told
    | > | me that the tech behind said I need to use high milliamp output
    | batteries.
    | > | Obviously referring to rechargeable NiMH. But why do they claim it will
    | run
    | > | for about 80 shots on regular alkalines??? I find this VERY
    | disappointing
    | > | for one big reason I got the grip is to have that "limp home" ability
    | with
    | > | widely available alkalines!
    | > | Anyone else having this problem?
    | > |
    | > |

    David H. Lipman Guest

  11. #11

    "ZONED!" <zonedhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1103259608.744821.248790z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > The first part (It is a problem common to many if not all BG-E2s ) Is a
    > fact based on personal experience (multiple bodies and grips), not to
    > mention posts in DPreview
    > [url]http://search.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=20d+grip&forum=1019[/url]
    > . The second part (Canon is dealing with it soon ) is what a Canon rep.
    > told me in a face to face meeting on Saturday 12/11 at a major camera
    > store nearby. I cannot attest to the validity of his statement.

    So I have some news here.

    I use a Sigma 24~70 f2.8 on my 20D. It sits on a tripod most of the day
    shooting santa pics this time of the year. Last night I followed the link
    above and did some investigation on my own. The Sigma lens is what I would
    call a "High drain" device. I used an oscilloscope to measure the battery
    output with a variety of (Canon and Sigma) lenses in use.

    The Canon lens which draws the least power is the plastic affair which comes
    with the "kit". The lens drawing the most power is Sigma 100~300 f4 lens.
    The 24~70 is next highest drain. When the batteries are at 30% or less, the
    drain from running the focus motor and charging the internal flash at the
    same time, kills the camera. Sometimes with error 99 which is basically a
    fault it can't find and others just dead!

    Doug

    Ryadia Guest

  12. #12

    > I'm from Missouri
    >
    > Show me.
    >
    > Dave

    Copied from the data sheet:
    "If using throw away AA size batteries, Alkaline batteries are recommended.
    <snip>
    Lithium batteries cannot be used since they do not operate in this camera.
    For rechargable batteries, use fully charged Nickel-hydride batteries that
    are the same brand."

    Doug

    Ryadia Guest

  13. #13

    Scott Evans wrote:
    > Read Canon batter grip doents.
    > Lithiums are not meant to work in this grip.
    > I swear to God.
    Minolta too. No Lithium batts in the VC-9 grip.

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]

  14. #14

    The following sounds like a bunch of BS. --
    "Lithium batteries cannot be used since they do not operate in this camera"

    A "AA" battery is a AA battery. The above sentence says NOTHING since the
    BP-511/511A/512/514 are Lithium batteries with AA batteries being an alternate power source.

    I would not believe *any* camera manufacturer unless they stated specific reasons a Lithium
    battery can not be used. I use Lithium AA's in all sorts of devices. The only device that
    shows a difference is a AA flashlight where the bulb has a shorter life. The flashlight
    bulb has a shorter life for a simple reason, Lithium holds its voltage longer (which is just
    slightly higher than Alkaline) without a voltage decay as a function of time while standard
    and Lithium AA will have a voltage decay's a function of time. Since the life of a bulb is
    dependant on the temperature of the filament and the filament burns hot longer, the bulb's
    resultant life is shorter. This is not the same as any electronic device which uses active
    electronic components not passive components.

    Since the BP-511/511A/512/514 ARE in fact rechargeable Lithium batteries it is most likely a
    Japanese to English language conversion mistake . In all the Canon web based doents I
    found, the following is noted "* With Battery Grip BG-E2, size-AA batteries can be used."
    This includes the PDF Manual for the 20D.

    Unless a device SPECIFICALLY states use of Lithium batteries will void a given warranty, I
    would not believe the manufacturer.

    Dave

    "Ryadia" <ryadiahotmail.com> wrote in message news:32h4ksF3m6ilfU1individual.net...
    | Copied from the data sheet:
    | "If using throw away AA size batteries, Alkaline batteries are recommended.
    | <snip>
    | Lithium batteries cannot be used since they do not operate in this camera.
    | For rechargable batteries, use fully charged Nickel-hydride batteries that
    | are the same brand."|
    | Doug

    David H. Lipman Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:55:15 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >The following sounds like a bunch of BS. --
    >"Lithium batteries cannot be used since they do not operate in this camera"
    >
    >A "AA" battery is a AA battery. The above sentence says NOTHING since the
    >BP-511/511A/512/514 are Lithium batteries with AA batteries being an alternate power source.
    >
    >I would not believe *any* camera manufacturer unless they stated specific reasons a Lithium
    >battery can not be used. I use Lithium AA's in all sorts of devices. The only device that
    >shows a difference is a AA flashlight where the bulb has a shorter life. The flashlight
    >bulb has a shorter life for a simple reason, Lithium holds its voltage longer (which is just
    >slightly higher than Alkaline)
    What part of "Lithium's voltage is just slightly higher than Alkaline"
    isn't a credible reason for the caution to not use Lithium batteries?

    If the manufacturer says "don't use Lithium batteries" and the OP is
    having power related problems when using Lithium batteries, then the
    first step is to stop using Lithium batteries and see if the problem
    remains, or goes away.

    jc

    JC Dill Guest

  16. #16

    There are a huge number of different posts listed in the link I
    provided, some sound like the same problem that I have while others
    address numerous different problems. I can only attest to my own
    experiences. The problem that I have (with the BG-E2 grip) occurs with
    no flash, manual focus (both intended to limit drain) and brand new
    AAs. The camera shuts down completely, no error, no LCD activity save
    for an empty battery sign which flashes indicating a dead battery. This
    occurs more than 50% of the time before the shutter is triggered once.
    All is reset after switching off, ejecting the cartridge for a few
    seconds, reloading it and powering up. And around and around it goes.

    ZONED! Guest

  17. #17

    "ZONED!" <zonedhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1103356071.939863.216760z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > There are a huge number of different posts listed in the link I
    > provided, some sound like the same problem that I have while others
    > address numerous different problems. I can only attest to my own
    > experiences. The problem that I have (with the BG-E2 grip) occurs with
    > no flash, manual focus (both intended to limit drain) and brand new
    > AAs. The camera shuts down completely, no error, no LCD activity save
    > for an empty battery sign which flashes indicating a dead battery. This
    > occurs more than 50% of the time before the shutter is triggered once.
    > All is reset after switching off, ejecting the cartridge for a few
    > seconds, reloading it and powering up. And around and around it goes.

    I suppose you could take solace in the knowledge that the 10D grip never had
    AA battery holder!
    You can use the grip with just one battery. When that discharges, replace it
    with the fresh one. I had thought originally the grip would provide deep
    power but it doesn't. All you get is the portrait functionaltiy and the
    ability to use hand strap.

    I shot another 300 frames today, this time with the grip but only one
    battery in it. I'm as confussed now as I've ever been. No idea what you or
    my cameras problem is!! Sigh.

    Doug

    Ryadia Guest

  18. #18

    The OP is not using Lithium batteries. The Canon stock rechargeable batteries are Lithium
    and a .1v higher voltage is insignificant. If it was significant why would Canon uses
    Lithium in the BP-511/511A/512/514.

    A Camera, *any* Camera will work with Lithium AA batteries for the same reason all the CD
    Players, Radios, Toothbrushes, etc, have worked happily with Lithium and for a longer period
    than Alkaline batteries do.

    Dave

    "JC Dill" <jcdill04sonic.net> wrote in message

    | What part of "Lithium's voltage is just slightly higher than Alkaline"
    | isn't a credible reason for the caution to not use Lithium batteries?
    |
    | If the manufacturer says "don't use Lithium batteries" and the OP is
    | having power related problems when using Lithium batteries, then the
    | first step is to stop using Lithium batteries and see if the problem
    | remains, or goes away.
    |
    | jc

    David H. Lipman Guest

  19. #19

    > The OP is not using Lithium batteries. The Canon stock rechargeable
    batteries are Lithium
    > and a .1v higher voltage is insignificant. If it was significant why
    would Canon uses
    > Lithium in the BP-511/511A/512/514.
    >
    > A Camera, *any* Camera will work with Lithium AA batteries for the same
    reason all the CD
    > Players, Radios, Toothbrushes, etc, have worked happily with Lithium and
    for a longer period
    > than Alkaline batteries do.
    >
    > Dave

    Hey David...
    It's OK to get passionate about a belief but we're talking here about a
    statement from Canon that says explicitely not to use Lithium batteries. If
    you argue with Canon, I can understand it but shooting the messenger because
    you don't like what they say is very Romanish, don't you think?

    Doug

    Ryadia Guest

  20. #20

    Maybe Doug, but, I can't find any real doentary information barring the use of AA Lithium
    batteries.

    If I had that unit, I would be using AA Lithium Batteries and I bet there would be no
    problems in doing so.

    Dave

    "Ryadia" <ryadiahotmail.com> wrote in message news:32ji4cF3niirjU1individual.net...
    | Hey David...
    | It's OK to get passionate about a belief but we're talking here about a
    | statement from Canon that says explicitely not to use Lithium batteries. If
    | you argue with Canon, I can understand it but shooting the messenger because
    | you don't like what they say is very Romanish, don't you think?
    |
    | Doug

    David H. Lipman Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast