ID: 24477
Updated by: [email]sniperphp.net[/email]
Reported By: karl at karlaustin dot com
Bug Type: Zend Engine 2 problem
Operating System: RH7.3
PHP Version: 5CVS-2003-07-03 (dev)
New Comment:

Same as bug #24687 (add your comments there, if any)

Previous Comments:

[2003-07-29 04:45:56] jsemczyk at elv dot enic dot fr

I think it is the same problem as here :
[url]http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=24687[/url]

As zeev said, in the current zend2 you can't connect to a returned
value.

But it is really needed to unreference returned value, and you can do
it in most object oriented languages.

Here, we break a compatibilty with PEAR, Horde (and other projects I
guess). For now, I am waiting for a new version of PEAR, and then
Horde.

[2003-07-27 07:16:27] [email]stasphp.net[/email]

What is the meaning of returning result of new by reference?

[2003-07-09 04:12:56] jsemczyk at elv dot enic dot fr

I have the same error, it seems like it comes from a function that must
return a reference, but objects are already references.

this doesn't work, but worked before beta1, I tried PEAR before beta1
and it uses lots of this :

function &myFunc()
{
return new MyClass();
}

This works fine :

function myFunc()
{
return new MyClass();
}

I don't understand why it comes from return (new Class()); cause it
doesn't work.

[2003-07-03 07:09:44] karl at karlaustin dot com

Well from the text of that item it would suggest that doing:

return new object();

is fine, but:

return (new object());

is not fine, that's how it would seem to me as an end user.

PEAR is ridled with returns like the one I list (Although IMHO it
should have only one return and assign return values to a variable then
return at the end, but that's another story).

[2003-07-03 06:17:54] [email]derickphp.net[/email]

Cause:
[url]http://news.php.net/article.php?group=php.zend-engine.cvs&article=1432[/url]

I wonder if we really should break BC here...

[url]http://bugs.php.net/24477[/url]

--
Edit this bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=24477&edit=1[/url]