ID: 25494
Updated by: [email]sniperphp.net[/email]
Reported By: enygma at phpdeveloper dot org
Bug Type: Arrays related
Operating System: Any
PHP Version: 4.3.2
New Comment:

The function behaves the same in PHP 4, in PHP 5 it remains to be seen
what the bosses tell it should be. (inconsistent or consistent, that's
the question)

Previous Comments:

[2003-09-11 13:57:55] [email]jayphp.net[/email]

This bug has been fixed in CVS.

In case this was a PHP problem, snapshots of the sources are packaged
every three hours; this change will be in the next snapshot. You can
grab the snapshot at [url]http://snaps.php.net/[/url].

In case this was a doentation problem, the fix will show up soon at
[url]http://www.php.net/manual/[/url].

In case this was a PHP.net website problem, the change will show
up on the PHP.net site and on the mirror sites in short time.

Thank you for the report, and for helping us make PHP better.

array_merge() throws E_NOTICEs now in 4.3.x and will throw
a warning and fail in 5 for non-array arguments.

[2003-09-11 12:11:09] [email]andreyphp.net[/email]

Jay, it's an undoented feature. If it is not doented and obscure
it's developer's risk to use it. So, I think this is a bug and a check
for the input parameter should be performed. A warning throwed in the
same way as array_intersect() does will be the consistent way.
Opening again :)

[2003-09-11 11:50:39] enygma at phpdeveloper dot org

it still seems silly to me that a string passed into an array function
was taken without so much as a warning. even more strange that it was
suddenly treated as an array and merged into the other valid array.

maybe a warning would be enough to deter this in the future?

[2003-09-11 11:42:26] [email]jayphp.net[/email]

If you use var_dump() in place of print_r(), you'd see
that it's not a mysterious value, it's 'false'. The
boolean value is being converted to an array index in
array_merge(). (Any value would produce similar results --
$array1=4; would produce an array value of
$last_array[0]==4.)

array_intersect() does a type check before it does
anything, which is why the warning comes up.

While it seems inconsistent, I can't see this being
changed because it would affect BC (albeit BC on a
somewhat obscure, undoented feature). Somebody correct
me here if I'm wrong. So I'm bogusing it for now.

[2003-09-11 11:42:19] [email]andreyphp.net[/email]

1. Please use var_dump() instead of print_r()
2. The value in the merged array is (bool) false

[url]http://bugs.php.net/25494[/url]

--
Edit this bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=25494&edit=1[/url]