Professional Web Applications Themes

256 MB x 2 for Wallstreet. options? - Mac Portable

I'm shopping for 2 x 256 chips for my Wallstreet II/266. I'm a bit bewildered by stuff like whether not all of these are 100% OS X compatible on my WallStreet II. I've seen chips twice as expensive as the rest claiming to be OS X compatible and "Apple certified for OS X". What does "Apple certified" mean in this context and why should I pay double for that? I'd expect all shipping chips to be OS X compatible, but maybe there can be some differences? What are they? After all I remember the debacle from this spring when Apple ...

  1. #1

    Default 256 MB x 2 for Wallstreet. options?

    I'm shopping for 2 x 256 chips for my Wallstreet II/266. I'm a bit
    bewildered by stuff like whether not all of these are 100% OS X
    compatible on my WallStreet II. I've seen chips twice as expensive as
    the rest claiming to be OS X compatible and "Apple certified for OS X".
    What does "Apple certified" mean in this context and why should I pay
    double for that? I'd expect all shipping chips to be OS X compatible,
    but maybe there can be some differences? What are they?

    After all I remember the debacle from this spring when Apple changed
    something in an update of whatever it was. But what makes a chip more
    compatible than another and how does it actually make the Powerbook more
    useful? Hardly the other chips crash several times a day with OS X. Or
    do they?

    Anyone bought these from Otherworld Computing and run on OS X?:
    <[url]http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_XLR8YourMac.cfm?ID=2992&Item=OWC100SO256[/url]
    168L>. OWT say these are OS X compatible. So why would I expect them not
    to be?

    Anyone bought these made by KTI and Transcend respectively from MemoryX
    and run it on OS X?
    < http://www.memoryx.net/apl144x256l.html>
    <http://www.memoryx.net/apl144p256.html>
    Can it be unwise mixing makers of chips like that?

    Also what is "HyperSpeed Memory":
    - p/n MLH6664U/256/KWL from
    <http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9&subcatid=910>

    I've never heard of these kind of chip differences before and what
    difference they could make.

    What do you guys make of it?
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 256 MB x 2 for Wallstreet. options?

    Le 24/07/03 09:08, dans [email]stephen-94AEA7.00083524072003news.telus.net[/email],
    «Stephen Grady» <stephengradydot.ca> a écrit:
    > After much frustration in trying to increase my RAM in my Wallstreet II,
    > I replaced both sticks together and ordered two sticks from the same
    > manufacturer: 2 x 256 KTA-PBG3S/256 from Kingston Technology. So far I
    > have no problems with the RAM in either 9.2.2, 10.1.5, 10.2 or 10.2.6
    >
    > In article <1fykpxr.1cm6t11iq7gowN%mikael.lastnamemac.com> ,
    > [email]mikael.lastnamemac.com[/email] (Mikael Bystroem) wrote:
    >
    >> I'm shopping for 2 x 256 chips for my Wallstreet II/266. I'm a bit
    >> bewildered by stuff like whether not all of these are 100% OS X
    >> compatible on my WallStreet II. I've seen chips twice as expensive as
    >> the rest claiming to be OS X compatible and "Apple certified for OS X".
    >> What does "Apple certified" mean in this context and why should I pay
    >> double for that? I'd expect all shipping chips to be OS X compatible,
    >> but maybe there can be some differences? What are they?
    >>
    >> After all I remember the debacle from this spring when Apple changed
    >> something in an update of whatever it was. But what makes a chip more
    >> compatible than another and how does it actually make the Powerbook more
    >> useful? Hardly the other chips crash several times a day with OS X. Or
    >> do they?
    >>
    >> Anyone bought these from Otherworld Computing and run on OS X?:
    >> <[url]http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_XLR8YourMac.cfm?ID=2992&Item=OWC100SO256[/url]
    >> 168L>. OWT say these are OS X compatible. So why would I expect them not
    >> to be?
    >>
    >> Anyone bought these made by KTI and Transcend respectively from MemoryX
    >> and run it on OS X?
    >> < http://www.memoryx.net/apl144x256l.html>
    >> <http://www.memoryx.net/apl144p256.html>
    >> Can it be unwise mixing makers of chips like that?
    >>
    >> Also what is "HyperSpeed Memory":
    >> - p/n MLH6664U/256/KWL from
    >> <http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9&subcatid=910>
    >>
    >> I've never heard of these kind of chip differences before and what
    >> difference they could make.
    >>
    >> What do you guys make of it?
    512 in mine works fine but I believe that the lower 256 low profile must be
    of high quality, not important as all these have life guarantee, keep the
    original in case like me you have to send it back for replacement

    Donald Smith Guest

  3. #3

    Donald Smith <dsmithqa-international.com> wrote:
    > 512 in mine works fine but I believe that the lower 256 low profile must be
    > of high quality, not important as all these have life guarantee, keep the
    > original in case like me you have to send it back for replacement
    What brand of chips did you purchase, Donald?
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  4. #4

    Le 25/07/03 02:52, dans 1fymt90.1kzz0i41o8sngcN%mikael.lastnamemac.com,
    «Mikael Bystroem» <mikael.lastnamemac.com> a écrit:
    > Donald Smith <dsmithqa-international.com> wrote:
    >
    >> 512 in mine works fine but I believe that the lower 256 low profile must be
    >> of high quality, not important as all these have life guarantee, keep the
    >> original in case like me you have to send it back for replacement
    >
    > What brand of chips did you purchase, Donald?
    for the lower one, low profile, Rocky Mountain Ram, because I read that this
    company is recommended by Apple

    for the high profile, can't remember, any company you see on RamWatch on
    [url]http://www.macresource.com/[/url]

    the low profile is the trick one must be best quality

    Donald Smith Guest

  5. #5

    Donald Smith <dsmithqa-international.com> wrote:
    > for the lower one, low profile, Rocky Mountain Ram, because I read that this
    > company is recommended by Apple
    Where did you see them recommended by Apple, you remember? I googled and
    found their website. No prices. Where can I purchase these?

    Are their any Mac sites that check the quality of different Ram modules,
    that you people know about.
    >[url]http://www.macresource.com[/url]
    I'll check it out.
    Mikael Bystroem Guest

  6. #6

    Le 27/07/03 02:00, dans 1fyqbia.ghb9h81onq4toN%mikael.lastnamemac.com,
    «Mikael Bystroem» <mikael.lastnamemac.com> a écrit:
    > Donald Smith <dsmithqa-international.com> wrote:
    >
    >> for the lower one, low profile, Rocky Mountain Ram, because I read that this
    >> company is recommended by Apple
    > Where did you see them recommended by Apple, you remember? I googled and
    > found their website. No prices. Where can I purchase these?
    >
    > Are their any Mac sites that check the quality of different Ram modules,
    > that you people know about.
    >
    >> [url]http://www.macresource.com[/url]
    >
    > I'll check it out.
    no, can't remember, goes back a few years, but I did find on an Apple site
    names of ram manufacturers that test and even make ram for Apple, I think
    RMram normally sells to stores and companies, but they will sell to
    individuals, maybe their ram is not better, but if you look at their site I
    think they explain their testing process... quite impressive

    Donald Smith Guest

  7. #7

    (Donald:)
    Mikael Bystroem <mikael.lastnamemac.com> wrote:
    >I googled and found their website. No prices. Where can I purchase
    > these?
    I later found that Rocky Mountain Ram can be ordered from
    <http://www.devdepot.com>. As the chips are custombuilt for your model,
    there seem to be some waiting involved. But I'm assuming this also
    assures full compatibility. Also, their shipping $17 to Europe was quite
    acceptable compared to others like Other World Computing for instance.
    Mikael Bystroem Guest