ID: 26063
Updated by: [email]iliaaphp.net[/email]
Reported By: mario at erphesfurt dot de
Bug Type: Arrays related
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux, glibc2.3
PHP Version: 5CVS-2003-10-31 (dev)
New Comment:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, but this is not
a bug. Please double-check the doentation available at
[url]http://www.php.net/manual/[/url] and the instructions on how to report
a bug at [url]http://bugs.php.net/how-to-report.php[/url]

As with all other functions in PHP, when invalid parameters are passed
E_WARNING is generated. E_ERROR is intended for unrecoverable errors,
such as p errors.

Previous Comments:

[2003-10-31 15:29:23] mario at erphesfurt dot de

------------
see also:
[url]http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25494[/url]

Hi,

The array_merge() fix introduced into beta2 broke my scripts, 'cause
they
relied upon array_merge() to return something even if some of the
passed
parameters were undef.

I used to merge values into my arrays that way, even if it was unclear
wether there was previously data in it:

$my_array = array_merge(
$my_array,
array(
"fill_up" => "if_unset",
"this" => "too",
)
);

Which now doesn't work any longer. - this requires some code bloat to
work around now (introducing a user-level array_merge).

I don't believe the current
ext/standard/array.c:php_array_merge_wrapper
addresses the problem described in #25494, it now just fails and sends
eventual paramaters of PHP:ewiki_merge() to hell, making it
incompatible
to previous versions (PHP4,beta1).

Why wasn't just a warning message sufficient?!

If you guys really like to change the way that PHP function was used,
then
you could replace E_WARNING with E_ERROR inside the array.c on line
2222 -
this would be less bogus than a _warning_ message that silently kills
data.

mario

Edit this bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=26063&edit=1[/url]