From: php_query at mrdoms dot plus dot com
Operating system: All
PHP version: 4.3.2
PHP Bug Type: *General Issues
Bug description: Session corrupts .jar file transmission

------------
I have a problem trying to redirect a request for a Java .jar through PHP.
I am using PHP 4.3.2 on my Apache test server on Windows, and PHP 4.3.3 on
my real Debian webserver. The problem is the same for both setups.

If I access the .jar directly (no PHP) & use a packet sniffer, I get
returned:

<HTTP headers, Content-Type: text/html >
CRLF CRLF // End of header?
190 CRLF // unknown value
<.jar file>

If I use a simple script with just a readfile, I get returned:

<HTTP headers, Content-Type: text/html >
CRLF CRLF // End of header?
<.jar file>

This request fails to load in any Java VM, which claims the jar is
corrupt. The '190' has mysteriously disappeared.

My real PHP script includes a session to make sure the user is accessing
the jar from our web page only (script appended). This gives:

<HTTP headers, Content-Type: text/html >
CRLF CRLF // End of header?
2000 CRLF // value now changed!
<.jar file>

This request will work fine with: IE6 & Microsoft VM 1.1, and IE6,
Netscape, Mozilla with Sun VM 1.4+. It does not load correctly if I use
Opera (any VM), or Java 1.3 (any browswer). Changing session cache
controls make no difference.

The main issues are -
What is the '190'?
Why does the plain readfile() not send it?
Why does the session turn it into '2000' which breaks some browswers?

Thank you for your time,

Dom

Reproduce code:
---------------
<?php
// This fails always
header("Content-Type: text/html; cht=ISO-8859-1");
readfile("tj.jar");
?>

<?php
// This works always
header("Content-Type: text/html; cht=ISO-8859-1");
header("\n\n190\n");
readfile("../_JAVARES/car/jammer.jar");
?>

<?php
// This sometimes fails depending on browser/VM
session_start();

--
Edit bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=26203&edit=1[/url]
--