Professional Web Applications Themes

3.01 Printing Error - Pages of junk text - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have been randomly experiencing problems printing certain files to our in-house Xerox DocuColor 12 from Indesign CS 3.01. Some files are fine, and print out great, printing spreads and duplexing, but other times I print and end up with about 25-50 pages of random text filling the pages. This only happens from Indesign, and only on my PC (Windows 2000), my co-workers haven't had any problems printing to the same device from their Macs. I never experienced this until I upgraded to CS. I thought the 3.01 patch may fix it, but it did not. Occasionally I can copy ...

  1. #1

    Default 3.01 Printing Error - Pages of junk text

    I have been randomly experiencing problems printing certain files to our in-house Xerox DocuColor 12 from Indesign CS 3.01. Some files are fine, and print out great, printing spreads and duplexing, but other times I print and end up with about 25-50 pages of random text filling the pages. This only happens from Indesign, and only on my PC (Windows 2000), my co-workers haven't had any problems printing to the same device from their Macs. I never experienced this until I upgraded to CS. I thought the 3.01 patch may fix it, but it did not. Occasionally I can copy and paste my work into a new Indesign file and it will be fine, but usually I have to export it as a pdf to get it to print.
    Jamie_McClain@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3.01 Printing Error - Pages of junk text

    Sounds like a PostScript Error to me. Does one of the pages that prints say "stack error offending command" or something of that nature?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    In the Print dialog box on the Graphics panel, you may have Binary selected instead of ASCII. Some printers (especially in Windows) cannot handle Binary data.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    To Gabriel - No error message appears, it just prints tons of crap.

    To Steve - ASCII is selected.

    I was able to print the file to our black and white HP LaserJet 4 Plus. I am thinking the error is with the Fiery Server to the DocuColor 12.

    Also, I was able to successfully print an old file I dug up from month or 2 ago, created in InDesign CS. So I'm baffled. Maybe I need to go to Xerox and complain...

    Thanks for your help.
    Jamie_McClain@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Maybe I need to go to Xerox and complain

    Complain? Don't you mean ask them what you are doing wrong or what is wrong with your workstation settings? I've experienced problems like yours in the past. I suspect there is something set up incorrectly. I know there is nothing wrong with your Xerox hardware since you've already confirmed that other users in your workplace are printing to the same device trouble free. This has to be a PostScript error or some misconfiguration in your workstation. If you have a Fiery Command Workstaion connected to your Fiery Server, I don't mean that one. I'm talking about the settings in your remote (the one you are sending from) workstation. Try changing the font or printing one page at a time to trouble shoot these issues. Start with Page 1 then Page 1 and 2, Pages 1-3 and so on til the problem is reproduced. This is one way of doing troubleshooting. OTOH, you said you can make a PDF and this usually means you can print to a PS device just fine.

    I do suggest calling Xerox Technical Support or have a Technician come in and take a look at the problem but I hardly think your situation warrants a complaint specifically toward Xerox until you find out exactly what's going on.

    There are two mottos we had when I worked at that place where we used to use those DocuColor 40 and X12 machines. Maybe you should practice them too. :D

    Check before you wreck and Ask before you blast. hehehehe ;)
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest