Professional Web Applications Themes

3 week vacation: turn powerbook off or leave asleep? - Mac Applications & Software

I have a G4 PB hooked to a printer and dsl modem. Usually I never turn this set up off, just close the pb at the end of my evening leaving it asleep for a few hours. As we know from the stability of osx, it goes on for months. It is only when installing some software that requires rebooting that I have rebooted. OK, we know all of that. :-) However, I am leaving on a three week vacation. Is this too long to leave the setup on and the pb asleep? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default 3 week vacation: turn powerbook off or leave asleep?

    I have a G4 PB hooked to a printer and dsl modem. Usually I never turn
    this set up off, just close the pb at the end of my evening leaving it
    asleep for a few hours. As we know from the stability of osx, it goes
    on for months. It is only when installing some software that requires
    rebooting that I have rebooted. OK, we know all of that. :-)

    However, I am leaving on a three week vacation. Is this too long to
    leave the setup on and the pb asleep?

    Thanks.
    Alexs Guest

  2. #2

    If nothing needs it on, I'd turn it off. Give the hard drive, and chips
    a rest (also given PBs aren't cheap, I'd consider stashing it somewhere
    safe from bad guys.)

    Also, If a power outage last for a weekend the batteries drain and the
    unit will need to be scanned for possible corruption, best to turn it off.

    Larry

    Alexs wrote:

    HRC Child Care Resources - a non-profit agency of HRC Inc.
    Serving child care needs for over 20 years in Amador and Calaveras Counties
    Calaveras: (209)754-1075 - Amador: (209)223-1624 - http://www.hrcccr.org/
    Larry Guest

  3. #3

    In article <260820031130362960%spam>, Alexs <spam>
    wrote:

    My inclination would be to not only shut it down, but unplug it as
    well. Most importantly, you can't know if there will be any severe
    thunderstorms while you're gone, and if there are, you won't be there
    to unplug it. Also, sleep consumes power (even if only a small
    amount), and if you're not going to be there for three weeks, that's
    power wasted.

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  4. #4

    In article <260820031130362960%spam>, Alexs <spam> wrote:

    No, it's not too long. There is little difference, as far as the PB goes, in
    whether you turn it off or put it to sleep.

    However, an electrical surge caused by lightning could harm it, and even cause
    a fire, so if you're away from home for three weeks, you should unplug all your
    electrical appliances.

    Plus - it's a powerbook - bring it along! :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  5. #5

    Alexs <spam> writes:

    For three weeks? Why bother leaving it on all that time? Especially
    since background stuff won't run while asleep anyway.

    Even better - bring it with you on vacation :-)

    -- David
    David Guest

  6. #6

    Larry Anderson <org> wrote in message news:<teranews.com>... [/ref]

    I don't know about you but in the summer I could never have a machine
    on that long because of thunderstorms. Going away that long I would
    pull the plugs on everything including the phone wire from the DSL
    system. We usually get one good storm every 3 or 4 days so in the
    summer up time is not great.

    --jim
    Jim Guest

  7. #7

    In comp.sys.mac.system Alexs <spam> wrote:

    Why would you leave your PB on when you know you
    won't be using it for three weeks? I unplug
    my computer equipment when I am out of town.
    That way, I know a lightning strike won't hurt
    my stuff, which has happened to me before.
    The only reason I can see for not shutting down
    your PB is if you inted to access it remotely
    while you're away on vacation.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  8. #8

    Sandman <net> wrote:

    > No, it's not too long. There is little difference, as far as the PB goes, in
    > whether you turn it off or put it to sleep.
    >[/ref]
    You are PROBABLY right if using OS 9 but you are almost certainly wrong
    if OS X is the operating system. My vacation was 17 days long and my
    iBook's battery was flat when I returned. It was fully charged when I
    left.
    Strider Guest

  9. #9

    In article <1g0bc93.1few6ql15hntzmN%com>, Strider
    <com> wrote:

    > You are PROBABLY right if using OS 9 but you are almost certainly wrong
    > if OS X is the operating system. My vacation was 17 days long and my
    > iBook's battery was flat when I returned. It was fully charged when I
    > left.[/ref]

    Why on *Earth* would you leave your PowerBook on for 17 days, with
    nobody using it, and not leave it plugged in? Double the silliness,
    double the fun? That's akin to leaving a faucet dripping for 17 days
    with the sink plugged.

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  10. #10

    In article <260820031504063492%spam.me>, Thomas Reed
    <spam.me> wrote:

    I'd have to agree. I lost two TV's and a cable box to a lightning
    strike while I was away for a week on vacation. Unplug anything you
    care about, including stuff to cable lines. This was a very expensive
    lesson for me.

    --
    --Chip
    remove dots in prefix to fix email address

    Chip Guest