Professional Web Applications Themes

300D now, or used 10D later? - Photography

I'm contemplating either getting the EOS 300D +lens now, or wait a couple of months for a used 10D and 17-35 sigma or something. What would your predictions on the price of a used 10D and 17-35 lens in a couple of months be? When do you think the 300D's price will drop? By how much? Seems so cheap for an SLR that it can't drop by much! -- com.au is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!...

  1. #1

    Default 300D now, or used 10D later?

    --
    com.au is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!
    eug Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 300D now, or used 10D later?

    The prices of digital SLR's seems to stay artificially high, as so
    many people want them, the sellers can get what they want... Let's
    look at the 10D now, at $2700 for the body (current walk in price at a
    Pro dealer near me) compared to six months ago at $3999 - I know
    people who would happily pay $2500 for mine, just to save a couple of
    hundred bucks on the purchase...

    The other thing that may help hold the price of the 300D to higher
    levels is there shouldn't be a lot of people wanting to resell them
    for a while - if the target market is the 'consumer' slr owner, why
    are they going to replace it with the 400D when and if it comes out?
    If the lenses are truly the investment that you make, why replace the
    body anytime soon?

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    On 23 Sep 2003 02:45:08 GMT, eug k <com.au>

    Stuart Guest

  3. #3

    I think you have to count it how keen are you in photography.
    If you are a not making a living out of your gears, 300D + fast lens is as
    good as 10D + fast lens for you.
    or even your Dimage7.
    [I remember talking to a guy that uses his Fuji S602z to make a picture that
    publishing bought for $$.
    Tho he has 1D and 10D in his bag :P ]

    It is just something that's nice to have or must have if for hobbyist like
    me :)

    Btw I don't see any 10D replacement on the horizon, so my wild guess they
    will still be around the same price
    til Q1 2004, as their rival : Nikon is not planning to release anything for
    consumer in this 3 months.
    [D2h pushes down D1h price, but new priced D1h is hard to find as well. Only
    D1x is still hanging around :(]

    =bob=

    "eug k" <com.au> wrote in message
    of
    predictions

    [BnH] Guest

  4. #4

    [BnH] <b18ATiinetDOTnetDOTaus> wrote:

    the dimage7's shutter lag and slow focusing and high noise really annoys me
    sometimes. Those are the side-effects of using a film SLR too much.. :)

    argh.. a photo, address, and usual route to work would be greatly appreciated. :)

    same here i guess. It's more of a hobby than to bring in money. But I'm sold on
    solidly-built equipment (metal vs plastic!). Then again, although the fixed'ish
    exposure and AF modes are a downside, I could probably live with it. Right now,
    a 10D + 17-35 will cost a ridiculously huge amount of money compared to the 300D
    and its EF-S.

    So I'm flipping between waiting for the 10D's used price to drop, the 300D's new
    price to drop (which seems unlikely after reading Stuart's reasoning), or getting
    a 10D and using my 28-105mm. Don't know if I can live with a 44mm equiv lens
    though.. my video camera's got a 44mm equiv and it's very annoying.

    Which still doesnt solve my lens problem.. a used 10D + used 17-35mm will still
    cost a lot. Looks like it's the 300D for me, unless I can really live with 44mm!
    Maybe I should try putting a stopper at 44mm on my current lens and see if it
    works for me..

    Maybe it's time to invest in Lotto. ;)

  5. #5

    Stuart Elflett <stuart(don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote:

    sooo.. when do you think you'll be selling your 10D? :)

    that's true.. consumers don't usually change bodies. And Canon's had
    quite a few generations of dslrs already, so the teething problems
    should be fixed by now. Maybe there really is no point waiting........ :)

  6. #6

    eug k wrote:

    maybe you should have kept your nikon lens kit and bought a d100 or fuji
    s2? (i'm assuming you had a nikon lens kit, as weren't you selling an F5
    a few weeks back?)

    Cheers,
    Phil

    Phil Guest

  7. #7

    Phil <net> wrote:

    > maybe you should have kept your nikon lens kit and bought a d100 or fuji
    > s2? (i'm assuming you had a nikon lens kit, as weren't you selling an F5
    > a few weeks back?)[/ref]

    I was selling it for a friend - I can't justify buying an F5. Solidly built,
    but is waay overkill for my needs. Like a 1Ds. I'd rather keep my car anyway. :)

  8. #8

    While I won't be parting with the 10D, and even if I upgrade in the
    future, I think it'll become a spare body, but I do have a four month
    old 28-105mm USMII if you want one - it was only used for 2 1/2
    months, when I replaced it with a 28-135 IS USM - you could consider
    it a new lens, condition wise - it was bought new initially...

    I didn't have any complaints about the image quality on the 28-105,
    btw - just the IS is attractive for handheld images...

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    On 23 Sep 2003 03:54:07 GMT, eug k <com.au>
    wrote:

    >the dimage7's shutter lag and slow focusing and high noise really annoys me
    >sometimes. Those are the side-effects of using a film SLR too much.. :)
    >

    >argh.. a photo, address, and usual route to work would be greatly appreciated. :)
    >

    >same here i guess. It's more of a hobby than to bring in money. But I'm sold on
    >solidly-built equipment (metal vs plastic!). Then again, although the fixed'ish
    >exposure and AF modes are a downside, I could probably live with it. Right now,
    >a 10D + 17-35 will cost a ridiculously huge amount of money compared to the 300D
    >and its EF-S.
    >
    >So I'm flipping between waiting for the 10D's used price to drop, the 300D's new
    >price to drop (which seems unlikely after reading Stuart's reasoning), or getting
    >a 10D and using my 28-105mm. Don't know if I can live with a 44mm equiv lens
    >though.. my video camera's got a 44mm equiv and it's very annoying.
    >
    >Which still doesnt solve my lens problem.. a used 10D + used 17-35mm will still
    >cost a lot. Looks like it's the 300D for me, unless I can really live with 44mm!
    >Maybe I should try putting a stopper at 44mm on my current lens and see if it
    >works for me..
    >

    >Maybe it's time to invest in Lotto. ;)
    >

    >> of
    >> predictions
    >>
    >>[/ref][/ref]

    Stuart Guest

  9. #9

    Stuart Elflett <stuart(don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote:

    hmm.. thanks for the offer, but I'd be looking for something much wider
    if I were to get a digital SLR.

    Anyone knows if any of the stores in Brisbane would have stock before the
    3rd of Oct? I've got an event on where it'd be pretty handy.

    >>the dimage7's shutter lag and slow focusing and high noise really annoys me
    >>sometimes. Those are the side-effects of using a film SLR too much.. :)[/ref][/ref]

    [.....]

  10. #10

    eug k wrote:

    My flatmate bought a 10D - and found some mob over in the UK who make a
    converter for olympus lenses - now he uses all his MF zuiko glass on it.
    So depending on what you want - there are solutions out there.

    rb Guest

  11. #11

    rb wrote:

    Please tell us more about this converter! A URL, perhaps?

    Peter Marquis-Kyle

    Peter Guest

  12. #12

    Have seen the same for Minolta -> EF and FD -> EF... both of which
    apparently work quite well...

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:13:29 +1000, rb <com> wrote:

    >My flatmate bought a 10D - and found some mob over in the UK who make a
    >converter for olympus lenses - now he uses all his MF zuiko glass on it.
    >So depending on what you want - there are solutions out there.[/ref]

    Stuart Guest

  13. #13

    Stuart Elflett wrote:

    (about lens mount converters)

    Only for close-ups, I think.

    I don't know about Minolta, but FD (manual focus) camera bodies are
    thinner (lens flange to film plane) than EOS. This means that an FD
    lens will not focus to infinity on an EOS body, except...

    Canon made a small number of very expensive converters that allowed
    some long tele FD lenses to be used on EOS bodies -- these had lens
    elements inside and multiplied the focal length slightly. I think this
    was a special sweetener to get professionals to buy the EOS1. So, if
    you
    happen to have an FD 400mm/f2.8 L lens and can find (and pay for)
    one of these rare converters, it will go well with your 10D.

    Peter Marquis-Kyle

    Peter Guest

  14. #14

    Peter Marquis-Kyle wrote:

    > Please tell us more about this converter! A URL, perhaps?
    >
    > Peter Marquis-Kyle
    >
    >[/ref]
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005v7q

    rb Guest