ID: 32101
Comment by: dhopkins at DonHopkins dot com
Reported By: ceefour at gauldong dot net
Bug Type: Scripting Engine problem
Operating System: *
PHP Version: 5CVS-2005-02-15
New Comment:

This just demonstrates yet again that the PHP team deserves their
infamous reputation for sweeping bugs and security holes under the
rug.

You guys really go out of your way to pretend to misunderstand the bug
reports.

I am still getting this same problem, for example when the code throws
an exception inside a destructor. The error message says "IN UNKNOWN ON
LINE 0". That is the problem. The error message should GIVE THE NAME OF
THE FILE AND THE LINE NUMBER. The bug is not that the message is
"confusing" or that the programmer WANTS to throw an exception inside a
destructor or exception handler. The bug is that the error message is
totally useless for figuring out WHERE THE ERROR HAPPENED.

I am faced with this stupid uninformative error message happening in a
huge body of (of course) badly written PHP code (is there anything BUT
badly written PHP code?). And I have no way to diagnose what buggy line
out of tens of thousands of lines of PHP code is causing this. I don't
know if it's because it's throwing an exception in a destructor, or in
another exception handler. It might be doing either or both. But I have
no way of telling because the idiotic error message does not tell me
what line of code the problem is on. Don't tell me that's the way it's
supposed to behave.

Previous Comments:

[2005-07-30 23:57:48] james at academicsuperstore dot com

I am experiencing the same problem using 5.0.4.

[2005-05-21 01:00:04] php-bugs at lists dot php dot net

No feedback was provided for this bug for over a week, so it is
being suspended automatically. If you are able to provide the
information that was originally requested, please do so and change
the status of the bug back to "Open".

[2005-05-13 13:33:49] [email]sniperphp.net[/email]

Please try using this CVS snapshot:

[url]http://snaps.php.net/php5-latest.tar.gz[/url]

For Windows:

[url]http://snaps.php.net/win32/php5-win32-latest.zip[/url]

[2005-02-25 11:20:24] ceefour at gauldong dot net

This modified code may be better illustrate the problem:

<?php
function error_handler() {
trigger_error("inside error", E_USER_ERROR);
}
set_error_handler('error_handler');
trigger_error("outside error", E_USER_ERROR);

function exception_handler($exception) {
throw new Exception('inside exception');
}
set_exception_handler('exception_handler');
throw new Exception('outside exception');
?>

[2005-02-25 11:01:19] [email]tony2001php.net[/email]

<?php
function exception_handler($exception) {
trigger_error("user error");
throw new Exception('exception1');
}
set_exception_handler('exception_handler');
throw new Exception('exception2');
?>

[url]http://bugs.php.net/32101[/url]

--