Professional Web Applications Themes

350D / Rebel Digital XT Preview - Photography

"Brian Baird" <right> wrote in message news:verizon.net...  I would presume, Phil Askey (dpreview.com) LetsGoDigital.co et al all had a sneak preview, somebody at LetsGoDigital broke a publication embargo with yesterday's "leak" I have been a web type since 1992, and I tried but couldn't find the hidden 350D/XT page, so the URL had to be leaked out. Phil was quiet, although I have never met the man he honoured the argreement. I can say this as the sites that honoured the agreement all launched detailed reports within a short time frame of the launch, ergo they knew!...

  1. #1

    Default Re: 350D / Rebel Digital XT Preview

    I would presume, Phil Askey (dpreview.com) LetsGoDigital.co et al all had a
    sneak preview, somebody at LetsGoDigital broke a publication embargo with
    yesterday's "leak" I have been a web type since 1992, and I tried but
    couldn't find the hidden 350D/XT page, so the URL had to be leaked out. Phil
    was quiet, although I have never met the man he honoured the argreement. I
    can say this as the sites that honoured the agreement all launched detailed
    reports within a short time frame of the launch, ergo they knew!

    Darrell Guest

  2. #2

    Default 350D / Rebel Digital XT Preview

    I knew Phil was sitting on something. He was quiet. TOO quiet.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021713canoneos350dpreview.asp
    Brian Guest

  3. #3

    Brian Baird <right> wrote in news:MPG.1c7ef9e2282b3fa898a5f7
    news.verizon.net:

    Nice!

    Now it seems that my choice to eventually buy a Pentax this spring
    is seriously challenged!!!!!

    Small is beautiful.

    /Roland
    Roland Guest

  4. #4

    Brian Baird wrote:

    A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    *deliver* something over 6Mpix.

    I think that the EOS-350D and Epson R1800 are the two most
    exciting novelties for the PMA.

    Thomas
    ThomasH Guest

  5. #5

    "ThomasH" <net> wrote in message

    > A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    > *deliver* something over 6Mpix.[/ref]

    Supposedly, Nikon is furiously working on follow-ons to the D70 and D100 to
    go up against the 20D and 350D, but they were not ready for PMA.

    Steven Guest

  6. #6

    "Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

    > > A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    > > *deliver* something over 6Mpix.[/ref]
    >
    > Supposedly, Nikon is furiously working on follow-ons to the D70 and D100 to
    > go up against the 20D and 350D, but they were not ready for PMA.[/ref]

    For a while it was looking like there will be no any
    novelties from Nikon for the PMA. I looked with some
    surprise at the missing Nikon name in Preview's list.
    Finally 3 days ago several consumer class cameras
    appeared.

    Besides, I see only D2Hs, a questionable decision to
    re-relase a 4Mpix camera, and no new lenses at all.

    Thomas
    ThomasH Guest

  7. #7

    > A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    > *deliver* something over 6Mpix.[/ref]

    Fuji's new S3 delivers 12 mp's, takes Nikon F-mount lenses, and sells for
    about 3 grand. If Nikon can't compete with that, then maybe they should
    consider buying Fuji out.........

    William Guest

  8. #8

    I think Fuji is large enough to buy Nikon.

    William Graham wrote:

    >>A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    >>*deliver* something over 6Mpix.
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >Fuji's new S3 delivers 12 mp's, takes Nikon F-mount lenses, and sells for
    >about 3 grand. If Nikon can't compete with that, then maybe they should
    >consider buying Fuji out.........
    >

    >[/ref]
    measekite Guest

  9. #9

    "Steven M. Scharf" <net> wrote in message

    >> A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    >> *deliver* something over 6Mpix.[/ref]
    >
    > Supposedly, Nikon is furiously working on follow-ons to the D70 and D100
    > go up against the 20D and 350D, but they were not ready for PMA.
    >
    >[/ref]
    I have a feeling that the spring shows may see an onslaught of Nikons, but,
    then, I thought the same thing about this PMA, too.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  10. #10

    "measekite" <com> wrote in message

    >>Fuji's new S3 delivers 12 mp's, takes Nikon F-mount lenses, and sells for
    >>about 3 grand. If Nikon can't compete with that, then maybe they should
    >>consider buying Fuji out.........
    >>
    >>[/ref][/ref]
    If they were, they'd still have to pry it away from Mitsubishi Heavy
    Industries...I'm not sure Fuji is big enough for that.

  11. #11

    measekite wrote:

    >> Fuji's new S3 delivers 12 mp's, takes Nikon F-mount lenses, and sells
    >> for about 3 grand. If Nikon can't compete with that, then maybe they
    >> should consider buying Fuji out.........
    >>

    >>[/ref][/ref]

    That's still only 6Mp camera and counted by fuji becomes 12Mp
    Rob Guest

  12. #12

    Nikon's response;

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=12329288

    ;)

    D200 Guest

  13. #13

    In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham <net> wrote:

    > > A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    > > *deliver* something over 6Mpix.[/ref]
    >
    > Fuji's new S3 delivers 12 mp's, takes Nikon F-mount lenses, and sells for
    > about 3 grand. If Nikon can't compete with that, then maybe they should
    > consider buying Fuji out.........
    >[/ref]

    S3 Pro is 6MP (6.4 million total photosites) not 12MP. Sure you can get
    a 12mp image from it and it will be better than interpolation would give
    you otherwise (its interpolation with additional data) but its not really
    the same thing as 12mp.

    --
    Sander

    +++ Out of cheese error +++
    Sander Guest

  14. #14

    Sander Vesik wrote:

    > > Fuji's new S3 delivers 12 mp's, takes Nikon F-mount lenses, and sells for
    > > about 3 grand. If Nikon can't compete with that, then maybe they should
    > > consider buying Fuji out.........
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > S3 Pro is 6MP (6.4 million total photosites) not 12MP. Sure you can get
    > a 12mp image from it and it will be better than interpolation would give
    > you otherwise (its interpolation with additional data) but its not really
    > the same thing as 12mp.
    >[/ref]

    I agree with this opinion as well, its a mess with this pixel
    counting: Regular Bayer, vs. Fuji's binary sensor system versus
    Foveon (Georgina Predioso, Georgi Predakis and Georgey Fovenowich
    Predovsky, where are you all? :-) )

    The contribution of Fuji is however significant. They stepped into
    a 14bit per sensor area, and I wonder when the others will follow.

    Thomas

    ThomasH Guest

  15. #15

    Yes the paint on the cardboard box wasn't dry yet.

    "Steven M. Scharf" <net> wrote in message

    >> A lot of promise here, and again pressure on Nikon to finally
    >> *deliver* something over 6Mpix.[/ref]
    >
    > Supposedly, Nikon is furiously working on follow-ons to the D70 and D100
    > go up against the 20D and 350D, but they were not ready for PMA.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Charle Guest

  16. #16

    In article <net>, net says...

    Probably not until they make 14-bit (or 16-bit) actually have some use.
    From what I've seen of the Fuji S3, those extra sensors are a whole lot
    of nothing.
    Brian Guest

  17. #17

    In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Rob <com> wrote:

    Thats very grossly unfair. Especially given that its not *all*
    hot air, and that they always graciously round down, unlike
    some other manufacturers.

    --
    Sander

    +++ Out of cheese error +++
    Sander Guest

  18. #18

    "Steven M. Scharf" <net> wrote in

    Nikon seems to be forever playing catch-up to Canon at the lower end of the
    DSLR market. I'll bet they're wishing for the Good Old Days where product
    life could be measured in years, not months.

    --
    Albert Nurick
    com

  19. #19

    > Albert Nurick <com> wrote:

    The 'ol days, where foundation technology (e.g. film)
    was stable for many years, may soon return. The recent
    product churn in DSLRs seems to be largely driven by
    advances in sensor pixel count/density & performance,
    and to a lesser extent, the cost of flash RAM.

    Once sensor Mpix and net performance exceeds the MTF of
    the sharpest glass you can mount on the body, the Mpix
    wars may be over. That war may already be over for pocket
    digicams, which seem to be in no hurry to hit 8Mp, much
    less go beyond it. And sure, flash cost and workflow
    requirements for such large images are a factor.

    Well, the EOS-300D went 1.5 years before replacement,
    and it isn't actually replaced, just repriced. That's
    a lot longer than I would have guessed it would take.

    If Nikon can hang in there for another couple of years,
    the rules of the game may change back to something they
    can play more effectively.

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:tld
    Bob Guest

  20. #20

    In article <individual.net>, Bob Niland says...

    There is some advantage in oversampling, as this allows you to do
    interesting processing with the pixels. You might have a camera with a
    30MP CCD and an output of only 12MP for instance, but with substantially
    improved quality.

    By the way, I suspect that pixel count growth will happily continue at
    least until 20MP, for a number of reasons, one being that manufacturers
    like people to continuosly upgrade their cameras (a bit like the
    computers, where a 133MHz unit allows you to do most things, but
    computers now are more than 10 times as fast).
    --

    Alfred Molon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast