Professional Web Applications Themes

380EX Flashgun - Photography

Hi guys, finally my server carries this group :) Anyway as mentioned in r.p.d. a friend has asked me to take some photos of his wedding. I have told him that I don't have the experience,but he insists. Anyway I am thinking of buying a Sigma 20mm 1.8 lens to cope with the low light at the location - a heavily shaded waterfall. So I was wondering if a Canon 380EX would be powerful enough for fill flash from around 20' back. I use a Canon 300D/DR Also ant good links for tips on wedding photography would be great. Thanks ...

  1. #1

    Default 380EX Flashgun

    Hi guys, finally my server carries this group :)

    Anyway as mentioned in r.p.d. a friend has asked me to take some photos of
    his wedding. I have told him that I don't have the experience,but he
    insists.
    Anyway I am thinking of buying a Sigma 20mm 1.8 lens to cope with the low
    light at the location - a heavily shaded waterfall.
    So I was wondering if a Canon 380EX would be powerful enough for fill flash
    from around 20' back.

    I use a Canon 300D/DR

    Also ant good links for tips on wedding photography would be great.

    Thanks and HNY :)

    --
    rda
    [url]www.rdaphoto.co.uk[/url] comments welcome (on the photos, the site is crap)

    rda Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 380EX Flashgun

    Here's a tip:
    Have your friend hire someone who knows what they are doing.

    "rda" <nottellinsecret.net> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, finally my server carries this group :)
    >
    > Anyway as mentioned in r.p.d. a friend has asked me to take some photos
    > of
    > his wedding. I have told him that I don't have the experience,but he
    > insists.
    > Anyway I am thinking of buying a Sigma 20mm 1.8 lens to cope with the low
    > light at the location - a heavily shaded waterfall.
    > So I was wondering if a Canon 380EX would be powerful enough for fill
    > flash
    > from around 20' back.
    >
    > I use a Canon 300D/DR
    >
    > Also ant good links for tips on wedding photography would be great.
    >
    > Thanks and HNY :)
    >
    > --
    > rda
    > [url]www.rdaphoto.co.uk[/url] comments welcome (on the photos, the site is crap)

    Home Guest

  3. #3

    "Home" <alevineaustin.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Here's a tip:
    > Have your friend hire someone who knows what they are doing.
    Thanks for your help, have a particularly bad Christmas/new year did we ?

  4. #4

    rda wrote:
    > "Home" <alevineaustin.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Here's a tip:
    >> Have your friend hire someone who knows what they are doing.
    >
    > Thanks for your help, have a particularly bad Christmas/new year did
    > we ?
    What "Home" says makes a lot of sense. There have been reports of people
    suing over unsatisfactory wedding pictures - even when taken by friends on
    a "best effort" basis. Avoid it.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    rda Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    In article <rt2dnc8myd0MTUrcRVnyiwfireflyuk.net>, [email]nottellinsecret.net[/email]
    says...

    > "Home" <alevineaustin.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Here's a tip:
    > > Have your friend hire someone who knows what they are doing.
    >
    > Thanks for your help, have a particularly bad Christmas/new year did we ?

    I think he is being honest.

    If you are the sole photographer at your friends wedding and the pictures
    dont come out well, he may not be a friend any longer.

    Brides have been known to be really picky about their wedding pictures, and
    they have also been known to have GREAT influence over thier husbands
    feelings.

    It doesn't matter that you warned him.

    Wedding pictures are something you REALLY need a pro for.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    David J Taylor Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    rda Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    David J Taylor Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    rda Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    In article <33q5f4F3vf3j7U1individual.net>, David J Taylor
    <david-taylorinvalid.com> wrote:
    > Think very carefully before you accept. Give the couple time to get a
    > professional photographer in if needed.
    Good advise. Over the years I have had several "friends" ask that I do
    the photos at their wedding. I always told them no, get a professional
    wedding photographer. The reason behind why they ask is that they know
    you are a good photographer and want to save money by not paying a
    professional. They will flatter you etc. but what it is about is not
    spending money on a pro wedding photographer. They may say they won't
    hold it agianst you if they don't like your pictures but none should
    believe that.

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  12. #12

    rda wrote:
    []
    > I am hoping to aviod flash if possible, I have just ordered a Sigma
    > 20mm 1.8 lens.
    Be careful not to get too close - the perspective that results may not be
    flattering!
    > The falls are indeed in Scotland, and just so happen to be in a very
    > shaded area. I will try and get my wife to "pose" on the viewing area
    > to take some test shots.
    Will the couple be waring traditional black and white? Perhaps get your
    wife to wear something similar. Although I don't use RAW myself, the
    extra headroom which may result could be an advantage. What camera?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor Guest

  13. #13

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylorinvalid.com> wrote in message
    > rda wrote:
    > []
    > > I am hoping to aviod flash if possible, I have just ordered a Sigma
    > > 20mm 1.8 lens.
    >
    > Be careful not to get too close - the perspective that results may not be
    > flattering!
    >
    > > The falls are indeed in Scotland, and just so happen to be in a very
    > > shaded area. I will try and get my wife to "pose" on the viewing area
    > > to take some test shots.
    >
    > Will the couple be waring traditional black and white? Perhaps get your
    > wife to wear something similar. Although I don't use RAW myself, the
    > extra headroom which may result could be an advantage. What camera?
    I dont think they will be wearing traditional outfits, it is a second
    marriage for both of them.
    My weapon of choice (read pricerange) is a 300D/D Rebel.
    I also have the 18-55, Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX (Great lens, tack sharp) and Canon
    75-300.

    I thougt the 20mm 1.8 would be good for the group shot in front of the falls
    as I thought the 18-55 3.5-4 would struggle.

    Thanks

  14. #14

    Larry wrote:
    > In article <rt2dnc8myd0MTUrcRVnyiwfireflyuk.net>,
    > [email]nottellinsecret.net[/email] says...
    >>
    >> "Home" <alevineaustin.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> Here's a tip:
    >>> Have your friend hire someone who knows what they are doing.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, have a particularly bad Christmas/new year did
    >> we ?
    >>

    > I think he is being honest.
    >
    > If you are the sole photographer at your friends wedding and the
    > pictures dont come out well, he may not be a friend any longer.
    >
    > Brides have been known to be really picky about their wedding
    > pictures, and they have also been known to have GREAT influence over
    > thier husbands feelings.
    >
    > It doesn't matter that you warned him.
    >
    > Wedding pictures are something you REALLY need a pro for.
    It's true; however I'm getting the impression that's not actually what
    the couple is asking for. If over the next few months the draftee senses
    it *is*, he should refuse the "job". He's going to lose some of the
    friendship in either case, and will be held responsible for either bad
    photography or failure to comply with the couple's request. He gets to
    decide which pain he is willing to endure.

    The couple does not want an outside photographer at the wedding? They
    *do* want deprive their picture-taker friend of the same chance to enjoy
    the wedding the other five guests will have? Seems to me someone has
    been demoted already.

    Were I he, I'd object, and offer to find a compatible photographer,
    suggesting they should trust my judgement, and offering to share the
    cost as a wedding gift.

    No, really; what kind of "friend" puts you in this position. Yup, the
    relationship has changed already. Who knows where it will be by the date
    of the ceremony?

    Good Luck.

    --
    Frank ess

    BTW, my holiday season was perfect. Again.

    Frank ess Guest

  15. #15

    rda <nottellinsecret.net> wrote:

    [Wedding photos]
    > The falls are indeed in Scotland, and just so happen to be in a very shaded
    > area. I will try and get my wife to "pose" on the viewing area to take some
    > test shots.
    Since your friend insist on you taking photos and there being
    no other photographer around at all, how about shanghaiing
    your friend and his bride for a "full dress"[1] rehearsal some
    weeks before the wedding? It'll be no fun for your friends,
    but you'll be able to:
    - work many kinks out
    - know in advance which lenses you'll need where
    - find some good spots for backdrops and how to set up any
    lighting for them (if needed)
    - show your friends some average-to-ugly photos that you
    manage --- on paper, if possible --- and tell them that
    that is the best you can manage, if everything works out
    (weather, camera, batteries, you, ...)
    That way you have at least a chance beforehand to warn them
    off of your quality and shock them beforehand.
    - Additionally they will have something extra to do to to get
    these photos. If they are not in the least interested in
    getting these photos, well, that's their problem.

    -Wolfgang

    PS: make clear beforehand that you'll not show them any bad
    photos from the wedding, and that may mean _no_ photos.
    (imagine your camera being violently ill on shooting.
    No usable photos. What then?
    I'd say: better no photos than bad ones.)

    [1] i.e. these two in whatever they want to appear at the wedding,
    or as close to it as possible, on a day with 'typical'
    weather for the spot.
    Wolfgang Weisselberg Guest