ID: 39242
Updated by: [email]tony2001php.net[/email]
Reported By: z_rules55 at hotmail dot com
Bug Type: Class/Object related
Operating System: WinXP
PHP Version: 5.1.6
New Comment:

Yes, this is expected behaviour.

Previous Comments:

[2006-10-23 20:30:01] z_rules55 at hotmail dot com

------------
I would have thought that I could declare a static array in a class
with an index in the declaration, but I can't. I must instead use
array() to specify the desired index and value. Nowhere in the docs,
that I could find, does it say that you can't specify an index in a
static array declaration.

I saw in another bug that PHP does not allow the use of variable data
at compile time, and I guess since static variables are dealt with at
compile time, you can't be assigning data to a variable index. But even
if the index is define()ed beforehand, it still doesn't work.

Reproduce code:
---------------
<?php
define('INDEX', 'index');
class myclass {
// Does not with either the string 'index' or
// the constant INDEX.
public static $variable['index'] = 'some value';
//public static $variable = array('index' => 'some value'); This does
work.
}
echo myclass::$variable['index'];
?>

Expected result:
some value

Actual result:
P error: p error, unexpected '[', expecting ',' or ';' in ...
on line 6

Edit this bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=39242&edit=1[/url]