Professional Web Applications Themes

#39888 [NEW]: PHP 4.4.4 does not compile with Oracle OCI8 instant client - PHP Bugs

From: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com Operating system: AIX 5.3 ML05 PHP version: 4.4.4 PHP Bug Type: OCI8 related Bug description: PHP 4.4.4 does not compile with Oracle OCI8 instant client Description: ------------ Configure reqests the shared OCI library libclntsh.so. The Oracle instant client for AIX (10.1 as well as 10.2) is shipped with libclntsh.a which is supposed to be a shared library(according to Oracle support). I opened a SR at Oracle because I expect them to ship libclntsh.so. Oracle asked to report a bug at PHP also. They say PHP should link libclntsh.a on AIX. Oracle Reference: ...

  1. #1

    Default #39888 [NEW]: PHP 4.4.4 does not compile with Oracle OCI8 instant client

    From: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Operating system: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP version: 4.4.4
    PHP Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Bug description: PHP 4.4.4 does not compile with Oracle OCI8 instant client

    ------------
    Configure reqests the shared OCI library libclntsh.so. The Oracle instant
    client for AIX (10.1 as well as 10.2) is shipped with libclntsh.a which is
    supposed to be a shared library(according to Oracle support).

    I opened a SR at Oracle because I expect them to ship libclntsh.so.

    Oracle asked to report a bug at PHP also. They say PHP should link
    libclntsh.a on AIX.

    Oracle Reference: SR number 6037776.993

    Reproduce code:
    ---------------
    configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --disable-cli
    --without-mysql --with-oci8-instant-client=/usr/local/instantclient10_1

    Expected result:
    ----------------
    Configure running successfully

    Actual result:
    --------------
    checking for Oracle (OCI8) support using ORACLE_HOME installation... no
    checking for Oracle (OCI8) support using Oracle Instant Client... yes
    checking Oracle Instant Client directory... /usr/local/instantclient10_1
    checking Oracle Instant Client SDK header directory...
    /usr/local/instantclient1
    0_1/sdk/include
    checking Oracle Instant Client version... configure: error: Oracle Instant
    Clien
    t library version not supported

    --
    Edit bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=39888&edit=1[/url]
    --
    Try a CVS snapshot (PHP 4.4): [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=trysnapshot44[/url]
    Try a CVS snapshot (PHP 5.2): [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=trysnapshot52[/url]
    Try a CVS snapshot (PHP 6.0): [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=trysnapshot60[/url]
    Fixed in CVS: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=fixedcvs[/url]
    Fixed in release: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=alreadyfixed[/url]
    Need backtrace: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=needtrace[/url]
    Need Reproduce Script: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=needscript[/url]
    Try newer version: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=oldversion[/url]
    Not developer issue: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=support[/url]
    Expected behavior: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=notwrong[/url]
    Not enough info: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=notenoughinfo[/url]
    Submitted twice: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=submittedtwice[/url]
    register_globals: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=globals[/url]
    PHP 3 support discontinued: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=php3[/url]
    Daylight Savings: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=dst[/url]
    IIS Stability: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=isapi[/url]
    Install GNU Sed: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=gnused[/url]
    Floating point limitations: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=float[/url]
    No Zend Extensions: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=nozend[/url]
    MySQL Configuration Error: [url]http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=39888&r=mysqlcfg[/url]
    Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com Guest

  2. #2

    ID: 39888
    Updated by: [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    Use OCI8 from PECL.

    Previous Comments:

    [2006-12-19 15:12:53] Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com

    ------------

    Edit this bug report at [url]http://bugs.php.net/?id=39888&edit=1[/url]

    tony2001@php.net Guest

  3. #3

    ID: 39888
    User updated by: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    Soory, I posted a wrong Orcale SR number. The correct one is
    6032016.994

    Previous Comments:

    [2006-12-19 15:15:12] [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]

    Use OCI8 from PECL.

  4. #4

    ID: 39888
    Updated by: [email]sixd@php.net[/email]
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    Background information: Originally all AIX shared libraries had .a
    extensions. Recently AIX supports both .a and .so extensions to mean
    shared.

    Previous Comments:

    [2006-12-19 15:35:13] Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com

    sixd@php.net Guest

  5. #5

    ID: 39888
    User updated by: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    Will try OCI8 from PECL. Due to holidays I will probably not find the
    time until Jan. 15.

    Previous Comments:

    [2006-12-19 18:14:52] [email]sixd@php.net[/email]

  6. #6

    ID: 39888
    User updated by: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    I replaced the oci8 extension that was shipped with PHP 4.4.4 by the
    latest version from PECL, ran buildconf --force and called configure
    with parameter --with-oci8=instantclient,/usr/local/instantclient10_1.
    The result was the same as with the originally shipped oci8:

    checking for Oracle (OCI8) support... yes
    checking Oracle Instant Client directory...
    /usr/local/instantclient10_1
    checking Oracle Instant Client SDK header directory...
    /usr/local/instantclient1
    0_1/sdk/include
    checking Oracle Instant Client version... configure: error: Oracle
    Instant Clien
    t library version not supported

    Configure failes because it does not find
    /usr/local/instantclient10_1/libclntsh.so.10.1

    Previous Comments:

    [2006-12-21 08:55:20] Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com

  7. #7

    ID: 39888
    Updated by: [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:
    >Configure failes because it does not find
    >/usr/local/instantclient10_1/libclntsh.so.10.1
    ln -s /usr/local/instantclient10_1/libclntsh.so
    /usr/local/instantclient10_1/libclntsh.so.10.1

    Previous Comments:

    [2007-01-11 10:10:39] Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com

    [url]http://bugs.php.net/39888[/url]

  8. #8

    ID: 39888
    User updated by: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    There is no /usr/local/instantclient10_1/libclntsh.so, only a
    /usr/local/instantclient10_1/libclntsh.a. Orcale does not ship
    libclntsh.so with instant client for AIX.

    Previous Comments:

    [2007-01-11 10:20:48] [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]

  9. #9

    ID: 39888
    Updated by: [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    Then create both .so and .so.10.1 as symlinks to .a.

    Previous Comments:

    [2007-01-11 10:31:56] Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com

  10. #10

    ID: 39888
    User updated by: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    I tried that already last December. Here is an extract of my posting to
    Orcale SR 6032016.994:

    I linked libclntsh.a as libclntsh.so and
    libclntsh.so.10.1 and compiled PHP 4.4.4. There were no errors at
    compile time.
    However, there was an error when Apache 2 tried to load the PHP
    module:

    httpd: Syntax error on line 53 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
    Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so into server:

    rtld: 0712-001 Symbol OCIInitialize was referenced from module

    /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so
    (), but a runtime definition of the symbol was not found.

    nrtld: 0712-001 Symbol OCIEnvInit was referenced from module
    /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so(),
    but a runtime definition of the symbol was not found.

    rtld: 0712-001 Symbol OCIHandleAlloc was referenced from module
    /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so(),
    but a runtime definition of the symbol was not found.

    rtld: 0712-001 Symbol OCIErrorGet was referenced from module
    /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so(),
    but a runtime definition of the symbol was not found.

    rtld: 0712-001 Symbol OCIHandleFree was referenced from module
    /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so(),
    but a runtime definition of the symbol was not found.

    rtld: 0712-001 Symbol OCITransRollback was referenced from module
    /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so(),
    but a runtime definition of the symbol was not found.

    rtld: 0712-001 Symbol OCIDescriptorFree was referenced from module

    /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so(), but a runtime definition of
    the symbol
    was not found.

    0509-021 Additional errors occurred but are not reported.

    This is because libclntsh.a is in fact no shared library. It is a
    static
    library that can not be used as a shared library.

    Previous Comments:

    [2007-01-11 10:53:07] [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]

  11. #11

    ID: 39888
    Updated by: [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    Works just fine on AIX, Solaris and other weird OSes using the way I've
    described. Fix your linker or ask Oracle to provide dynamic libraries
    instead.

    Previous Comments:

    [2007-01-11 11:08:53] Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com

  12. #12

    ID: 39888
    User updated by: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Reported By: Martin dot Schnoy at hydro dot com
    Bug Type: OCI8 related
    Operating System: AIX 5.3 ML05
    PHP Version: 4.4.4
    New Comment:

    Oracle accepted this issue as bug #5722859 and will distribute the .so
    in further releases.

    Previous Comments:

    [2007-01-11 11:15:58] [email]tony2001@php.net[/email]