Professional Web Applications Themes

3d and Javascript #"!? - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi all, Does anyone know if there's any update schedule for director? Because I really think that the javascript syntax for 3d has been rushed in that new version of director. I'm meeting a number of difficulties when it comes to load 3d model into a scene. It seems that the preload() method doesn't work as it outputs the following error message (preload isn't a function) when I try to use it. By consequence I tried to use it without the brackets and in that case I don't get any error messages but the 3d member doesn't load as its ...

  1. #1

    Default 3d and Javascript #"!?

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know if there's any update schedule for director?

    Because I really think that the javascript syntax for 3d has been rushed in
    that new version of director.

    I'm meeting a number of difficulties when it comes to load 3d model into a
    scene. It seems that the preload() method doesn't work as it outputs the
    following error message (preload isn't a function) when I try to use it. By
    consequence I tried to use it without the brackets and in that case I don't
    get any error messages but the 3d member doesn't load as its state never
    gets to be equal to 4. Does anyone have a work around this?

    Last week I also asked a question about particle systems because I am also
    meeting problems when it comes to define the emitter region. I managed to
    define all the other properties of the particle system but I get the
    following error message "script error : property not found" when it comes to
    the emitter region. this is the code I used:
    _global.w.newModelResource("PSRes",symbol("particl e")).getPropRef("emitter")
    ..region = vector(-25, -25, 50)

    Am I doing something wrong?

    It seems to me that Macromedia didn't make a great effort to properly
    develop the Javascript syntax for the 3d side of director. As it looks very
    buggy!! On the top of that the doentation isn't really great either as
    it's very hard to find what you are after and it's full of holes on the
    Javascript syntax. This makes me come back to my first question, will
    director soon beneficiate of an update?

    Would this careless attention to details have anything to do with the
    failure of the collaboration between Intel and Macromedia?

    Can anyone answer any of my questions? I would grealty appreciate it

    thanks in advance

    quinrou Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3d and Javascript #"!?

    I've just ordered director 2004 MX and was planning on using the JavaScript
    (as its what I know) to learn the 3d features, are the bugs you are hitting
    show stoppers or can u work around them? Suddenly starting to feel that I'm
    going to have to learn lingo after all.

    Cheers,

    John.

    "quinrou" <quinrouhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there's any update schedule for director?
    >
    > Because I really think that the javascript syntax for 3d has been rushed
    in
    > that new version of director.
    >
    > I'm meeting a number of difficulties when it comes to load 3d model into a
    > scene. It seems that the preload() method doesn't work as it outputs the
    > following error message (preload isn't a function) when I try to use it.
    By
    > consequence I tried to use it without the brackets and in that case I
    don't
    > get any error messages but the 3d member doesn't load as its state never
    > gets to be equal to 4. Does anyone have a work around this?
    >

    > Last week I also asked a question about particle systems because I am also
    > meeting problems when it comes to define the emitter region. I managed to
    > define all the other properties of the particle system but I get the
    > following error message "script error : property not found" when it comes
    > the emitter region. this is the code I used:

    _global.w.newModelResource("PSRes",symbol("particl e")).getPropRef("emitter")
    > .region = vector(-25, -25, 50)
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong?
    >

    > It seems to me that Macromedia didn't make a great effort to properly
    > develop the Javascript syntax for the 3d side of director. As it looks
    very
    > buggy!! On the top of that the doentation isn't really great either as
    > it's very hard to find what you are after and it's full of holes on the
    > Javascript syntax. This makes me come back to my first question, will
    > director soon beneficiate of an update?
    >

    > Would this careless attention to details have anything to do with the
    > failure of the collaboration between Intel and Macromedia?
    >

    > Can anyone answer any of my questions? I would grealty appreciate it
    >
    > thanks in advance

    John B Guest

  3. #3

    Hi John,

    No unfortunatly i didn't find any work around those bugs... If your book
    shows to over come my problems I would really apreciate if you post here how
    to do so.

    thx

    quinrou Guest

  4. #4

    Try this (where var w is previously defined as a SW3D cast member):

    // save this, you'll need it to set all particle properties
    ps = _global.w.newModelResource("PSRes",symbol("particl e"));
    // [vector(-25, -25, 50)] won't work in JS
    ps.getPropRef("emitter").region = list(vector(-25, -25, 50));
    // just to verify
    put (ps.getPropRef("emitter").region);

    The emitter region is defined as a list of vectors, with 1, 2, or 4 members,
    so that the particles can originate from a point, line, or quadrilateral,
    respectively.

    BTW, for the quad-type emitter region, the points need to be defined in this
    order (if you were facing the quad):
    1 2
    3 4

    Good luck, I don't think there are too many people doing SW3D entirely in JS
    at the moment, so as you've found, doentation is very spotty. Maybe you
    should consider writing a book when you're done :-)

    nick kang Guest

  5. #5

    ye...!!! you are the man - i didn't think about replacing [] by list() ...
    instead i was trying to use {} which in actionscript relates to an object
    and I thought that lists in logo were objects in javascript... I didn't
    think that MM actualy adapted the lingo list to the javascript syntax...
    d'ho!

    you suggested that i write a book about the use of javcascript with sw3d -
    hehehe... I don't think that I got the knowledge to do so and also it would
    be full of spelling mistakes as i am french ;)

    anyway thanks for the hint that's gonna help me out a lot as i was thinking
    about rewriting my stuff in lingo.

  6. #6

    I found that there are some things in javascript that will simply not work. To
    get arround this I write the code that doesnt work in a lingo function that I
    can call with my javascript.

    It is super pathetic that I have to do this though. : (

    kavelle Guest