Professional Web Applications Themes

3D Games FORUM - Macromedia Director 3D

I'm only 11 though I know how to make a charactor move around a screen with a gun and able to shoot enemies! Though this forum is to discuss the hard parts in a game like collison,boundaries,enemies,health engines, and more! Learn alot here by making these things. If you know anything please post here! :cool;...

  1. #1

    Default 3D Games FORUM

    I'm only 11 though I know how to make a charactor move around a screen with a
    gun and able to shoot enemies! Though this forum is to discuss the hard parts
    in a game like collison,boundaries,enemies,health engines, and more! Learn alot
    here by making these things. If you know anything please post here! :cool;

    Totherescue Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3D Games FORUM

    I am surprised. I was able to move a character only until 13 :)

    If you mind post questions individually, obviosly before usiang the search menu. Search for collision for example.
    ensamblador Guest

  3. #3

    Ok I can do simple things like evenmmake a cursor but boundaries I've seen lots
    of tutorials for but what s is they have a couple billion scripts and I
    only want 1 SIMPLE BOUNDARE SCRIPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Totherescue Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Totherescue,

    Welcome to the world of Director. Hope you stay with it for many years to come.

    I'm impressed to hear you're 11 and already doing some complex things with the
    program. I have tutorials at:
    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/
    and a set or resources/links at:
    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/resources/
    The above URL links to all the best Director sites on the web and other useful
    info.

    If you have specific questions on how to do things, you can post here or in other
    forums. I have links to the all the various forums in my resources page.

    I wish you all the best with your Director journey.

    regards
    Dean

    Director Lecturer / Consultant
    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

    Dean Guest

  6. #6

    Hello rescue,

    Here's a simple approach to 2D collision. When a sprite moves inside a second
    sprite's boundary [the rectangle that surrounds the sprite] you can test that
    as a collision. (There are other ways to test this - but let's start with a
    simple one.) When you do this you simply create a behavior script (make sure
    behavior is the script type in the property inspector - it will have the little
    daisy gear in the thumbnail view) and then in that behavior script type
    something like this...

    property pTarget

    on beginSprite(me)
    pTarget = ---- now here you can type the channel number of the target sprite
    end

    on exitFrame (me)
    if sprite(me.spriteNum).loc.inside(sprite(pTarget).re ct) then
    beep()
    end if
    end

    of course in practice you'll want to try to identify target sprites
    dynamically - one common way is to make targets 1 position away from the thing
    you expect will hit them. Or if you know for example that you want to check 1
    projectile against a series of possible targets - you could repeat through a
    range of targets. You could also turn it around. This script is designed to go
    on the projectile, but you could just change the reference to me.spriteNum
    (that is a way to say the channel number of the sprite this script is attached
    to) to refer instead to the target. Then each target could get a copy of the
    script attached to them.

    Since you are just starting to learn, I'd recommend reading Gary Rozenzwieg's
    book. See if you can find an old copy of Tab Julius' "lingo" (probably the best
    lingo text ever written and still applicable (though much of the code is
    probably depricated) and if you want something more recent you could read
    Dean's book. There are a ton of good ones out there to get you going.

    The only other reccomendation I have for you is this. Before you go to far...
    learn about some basic programming concepts.
    variable assignment, sequence, events and list structures. This will really,
    really help make everything clearer.

    -- hope your journey goes well,

    --al

    alPartridge Guest

  7. #7

    Hi everyone,
    I have a 3D software called 3D canvas PRO! But how do you export a file in Shockwave 3D if anyone knows?
    Totherescue Guest

  8. #8

    Oops :embarrassment; Just realized you were asking about collision in 3D. Well
    that's much simpler isn't it.

    Okay: there are several ways to do it. Here's a simple one. The collision of
    one body against another in 3D space is often easily detectable based on the
    very simple question of distance between the position of one object and the
    position of a second object. That's how Podz works for example.

    The script simply polls the distance between objects. The key is only asking
    for the stuff you need (strip out models and things you don't care about - so
    you don't waste time finding collisions between buildings for example.) So in
    the distance model you are determining if a 3D model is within n distance of
    some other model.

    on exitFrame (me) -- in practice you'll want to have a main script that gets
    called and has multiple states
    repeat with targetModelNum = 2 to 100
    if
    member("3DWorld").model(1).transform.position.dist anceTo(member("3DWorld").model
    \ [targetModelNum].transform.position < 1.0 then -- mind the line break here
    beep()
    end if
    end

    I wrote a tutorial four doug on projectile firing that uses the built in
    director collision method.

    http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1076

    You could also use Havok, or if you want to learn to do collision by the math,
    Paul discusses mesh triangle to point based collision math in his book
    Director's Third Dimension.

    hth,

    --al

    alPartridge Guest

  9. #9

    alPartridge wrote:

    And I have some 3D tutorials (right colum)
    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/#3d
    Cover using Havok, collison detection using collision modifier and collison using
    modelsUnderRay.

  10. #10

    Question may have been about 3D but that 2D answer is good stuff to know.

  11. #11

    Totherescue wrote:

    Hi Rescue,

    I haven't used 3D Canvas Pro, but looking it up at:
    http://www.amabilis.com/products.htm
    it does list Shockwave 3D (w3d) as a format it exports to.

    So, from the File pulldown menu, there's probably an Export option. When you chose that, a dialog box should
    appear with a list of the various formats. Browse to find Shockwave 3D (w3d)

  12. #12

    I am having a navigating probem! The problem is when the character moves around
    the area when he is turning lets say left he cannot go up and left at the same
    time. But I also do not know how the mouse can do a look turn. How do you do
    that stuff. I already can make a cursor and a charact that can navigate with
    killable enemies but the navigation engine would be harder for a player! Even
    If i made the turning of the character fast, well it just would not seem right
    for a game like that unless I added unkillable teamates type of game I guess it
    would be suitable and OK but I still want a advanced style cause I already know
    flash and how to hack it but with Director I prefer my own stuff anyways! I
    really need to know a good navigation style.

    Totherescue Guest

  13. #13

    To do a proper 'mouselook' with director, you need to use an xtra which will
    allow you to reset the mouse's position. The technique goes like this:

    * When the game starts, set the mouse pos to the centre of the screen
    --- then, each frame: ---
    * Read the distance of the mouse to the centre of the screen
    * Use the horizontal and vertical distance to rotate your viewpoint
    * Reset the mouse position back to the centre, ready for a new measurement
    next frame

    The reason you have to keep resetting the mouse position is that, if you
    don't, the cursor will reach the edge of the screen and stop, preventing you
    from turning further.

    There's a free non-shockwave-safe xtra that can do it, here:
    http://www.scirius.com/eng/index.html
    (see the 'setMouse' xtra)

    There's a shockwave-safe one here, but not free:
    http://www.andradearts.com/
    (see 'enhancer' xtra, or 'move cursor' xtra)

    I have a few navigation (and collision) demos here:

    Very simple - arrow keys to rotate & move the box:

    http://robotduck.com/content/articles/director/3d/basics/controllableBox/index.h
    tm

    Same controls, but controlling a first-person cam, and includes collision with
    walls:

    http://robotduck.com/content/articles/director/collision/modelsUnderRay/wallColl
    ision_V-Ray-FPS.htm

    FPS mouse control without an xtra - not the same as 'real' mouselook though,
    click and hold on the viewport to walk, drag left right to rotate, up/down =
    forward & back:

    http://robotduck.com/content/articles/director/collision/modelsUnderRay/wallColl
    ision_V-Ray-FPS_mouseMove.htm

    hope these help!

    - Ben

    duckets Guest

  14. #14

    A bit of code here, from Dir3d-L:

    http://nuttybar.drama.uga.edu/pipermail/dir3d-l/2003-October/004410.html

    - Ben
    duckets Guest

  15. #15

    Alright everyone I figured out how to turn and move at the same time myself
    using the software but I still need to know something. I know how to use the
    mouse to look turn now! (already did a long time ago though) But a problem. I
    need something to bring the mouse in the middle of the screen every 1.5
    seconds! If anyone knows how to do this please tell me. I mean, I did figure
    out most of the stuff myself as a matter of fact.

    Totherescue Guest