Professional Web Applications Themes

3d in flash - Macromedia Director 3D

people have been trying to do 3d in flash for years but this group acutally has it http://www.freespin3d.com/freespin3d/www/default.aspx...

  1. #1

    Default 3d in flash

    people have been trying to do 3d in flash for years but this group acutally has it

    http://www.freespin3d.com/freespin3d/www/default.aspx
    tyree_2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3d in flash

    I dont' think we need to worry, it's just barely like a crippled software
    render mode. It's not like Flash is using the 3D hardware or anything, but
    it is clever. Certainly good for spinning product demos.

    Cheers

    Richard Smith
    www.funpods.com

    "tyree_2" <com> wrote in message

    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    its still in its infancy, by no means a strong engine compared to any of the other web 3d engines. but it is the real thing
    tyree_2 Guest

  4. #4

    [q]... but it is the real thing.[/q]

    The "real thing" is about 8 years old and is called Director & Imaging Lingo.
    Flash tries to achieve, what Director and its then innovative and creative
    users could do in 2000. So no need to call this Flash 3D fuss the "real thing".
    ;)

    Cheers,
    Martin

    Macromartin Guest

  5. #5

    [q]the (shockwave) engine wasnt able to do both play an animated model and
    texture simultaneously.[/q]

    The engine was well capable of doing this, many years before Flash could.
    At best, the CPUs weren't as fast as today.
    Please don't spread such untruth, if you don't know the facts. Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Martin

    Macromartin Guest

  6. #6

    [q]Originally posted by: tyree_2
    people have been trying to do 3d in flash for years but this group actually
    has it
    [/q]

    They didn't do anything new there.
    Besides, 3d in flash s (poor image quality & performances).

    AlinaX Guest

  7. #7

    its the real thing as for as 3d in flash goes there is much more to it than that.
    tyree_2 Guest

  8. #8

    [q]Originally posted by: tyree_2
    its the real thing as for as 3d in flash goes there is much more to it than
    that.[/q]

    I highly doubt any current flash 3d will be able to play any of your
    animations at anywhere reasonable fps (if they even support animation, let
    alone bones driven animation).

    That said as long as Unity is mac only it wouldn't be all bad with hardware
    supported flash 3d, although I'd prefer a updated director 3d engine on par
    with Unity, hint, hint. :)

    multiduck Guest

  9. #9

    I had no intention of using it its not strong enough for me to use it right now, but I like what theyre doing. there are other web 3d programs Id use instead
    tyree_2 Guest

  10. #10

    Hey tyree_2,

    Thanks alot for sharing. This lot do realy have it.

    Multiduck - Casual gaming and, 3D casual gaming isn't about bone driven anim
    or real life simulation etc.. Its all about the gameplay, gameplay, gameplay.

    StratoBlaze Guest

  11. #11

    [q]Originally posted by: StratoBlaze
    3D casual gaming isn't about bone driven anim or real life simulation etc..
    Its all about the gameplay, gameplay, gameplay.[/q]

    There is no gameplay at 3 frames per second.
    :tounge;

    Nanomedia Guest

  12. #12

    [q]Originally posted by: StratoBlaze
    Multiduck - Casual gaming and, 3D casual gaming isn't about bone driven anim
    or real life simulation etc.. Its all about the gameplay, gameplay, gameplay.
    Text[/q]

    And where was I mentioning gaming? I must have missed the essay I posted on
    that. And as Nanomedia writes you can't create games (any type of games) at
    those extremely low fps, I have seen people say they need dual core to get 20
    fps from simple aplications, now I ask you how large a percentage of you target
    audience have you dropped by going software 3d?

    To have gameplay you need to be able to play the game. :grin;

    multiduck Guest

  13. #13

    We too were excited when we first heard about Papervision, but after a while we
    cooled down and realised that it is a nice [i]academic[i] exercise in 3D
    graphics - we struggled with it and gave up.
    It grinded the CPU on simple "spinning product demos", and it took us
    seven models until we could rotate an object without that major sorting problem.

    All I'm saying is that you can actually develop 3D casual games with
    these FreeSpin3D guys - ignore their marketing BS.
    Casual, like in Pogo, newgrounds, Club Peguin.

    academic

    StratoBlaze Guest

  14. #14

    [q]Originally posted by: StratoBlaze
    We too were excited when we first heard about Papervision, but after a while
    we cooled down and realised that it is a nice academic exercise in 3D graphics
    - we struggled with it and gave up.
    It grinded the CPU on simple "spinning product demos", and it took us
    seven models until we could rotate an object without that major sorting
    problem.[/q]

    As I said before, 3D in flash s!
    3D in flash is available for years. (including XML based 3D models importers).
    PaperVision is nothing more than a collection of AS2-AS3 routines able to
    emulate a 3D engine in flash.
    The guys from FreeSpin3D (I bet you're one of them) did not come with anything
    new.
    In fact their 3D emulation is worst (awful framerate) than PaperVision.

    You should stop promoting all these things in a Director Shockwave (real
    3D
    ) forum.

    AlinaX Guest

  15. #15

    I agree with AlinaX.
    But for those interested in 3D in flash, here is something much better than Papervision3D or Sandy3D:
    http://blog.alternativaplatform.com/en/
    Check out those 3 demos.
    Romeo.Marian Guest

  16. #16

    OMG! Wow, is it already built into the flash player? How come I could view
    the 3D demos without extra downloads? Did they sneak it in a hidden release
    like FlashCommServer?

    It was y frame rate at times (the bunker demo), but I think that's
    because it was streaming content as I was playing it. When it stopped
    streaming the frame rate seemed really fast (not as good as Unity3D though).

    Has Director/ shockwave3D finally lost it's point?

    Thanks for posting.

    Richard
    www.funpods.com

    "Romeo.Marian" <com> wrote in message

    Richard Guest

  17. #17

    Is it still a clever 3D emulation using flash surfaces? Or does it use 3D
    hardware acceleration? I'm still a bit confused :)

    Richard

  18. #18

    [q]Originally posted by: Richard
    Is it still a clever 3D emulation using flash surfaces? Or does it use 3D
    hardware acceleration? I'm still a bit confused :)[/q]

    Flash means DirectDraw (not Direct3D), so no 3D hardware acceleration at all.
    Those guys made the best 3D engine in a flash environment.
    But as you can see, flash 3D is still limited to few hundreds polygons per
    scene.
    If you want more, you need a Core 2 Quad!
    ;)

    Romeo.Marian Guest

  19. #19

    > Is it still a clever 3D emulation using flash surfaces?

    Anton Volkov is a very clever guy Richard.
    But as I said 4 years ago ( http://necromanthus.com/KoolMoves/3DRender.html ),
    3D in flash has no future.
    33 polygons or 330 polygons (with or without detailed textures) is almost the
    same thing.
    :smile;
    Now the main question: "is the D12 the answer to the Web 3D demands?"

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  20. #20

    Aah, I'm glad it's not hardware accelerated. They've done an amazing job
    though! (that face demo looks superb)

    Hopefully I can carry on using Director for a while longer. The amount of
    version 11 plugin / installation problems people are having is scaring me at
    the moment though see (macromedia.players.shockwave). My latest game
    launches on shockwave.com on Tuesday.

    Thanks for the info.

    Richard

    "Romeo.Marian" <com> wrote in message