Professional Web Applications Themes

3D models streaming - Macromedia Director 3D

I have a very important doubt about 3D in Director. 1- Imagine I want to build a huge 3D world (like in Second Life). It may have a size of maybe 30 MB. I would like to stream the 3D world. For example, first I download one part and I can walk inside this part, but while I go forward, I would like to download the next models, so first I only need 1 MB, but after I download the rest dynamically and I can walk around of the world (no in separate member or world). May I do this? ...

  1. #1

    Default 3D models streaming

    I have a very important doubt about 3D in Director.

    1- Imagine I want to build a huge 3D world (like in Second Life). It may have
    a size of maybe 30 MB. I would like to stream the 3D world. For example, first
    I download one part and I can walk inside this part, but while I go forward, I
    would like to download the next models, so first I only need 1 MB, but after I
    download the rest dynamically and I can walk around of the world (no in
    separate member or world). May I do this?

    2- As a way of reducing the size ( MB ) of the world. Imagine I have a model
    about a "car". If I want any number of cars (dynamically), it would be great to
    duplicate with Lingo that cars. May I do this? How?

    I would really appreciate any help about this.

    Thanks a lot.

    cubelan2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3D models streaming

    yes and yes

    1 - the fundamental file is the .w3d format, in which you have your 3d models
    ( presuming that you are going to create your models in a 3d modeling
    software); not all 3d modeling softwares can export to the .w3d format;
    examples of some that can: Lightwave, Maya, 3dsMax, Cinema4d; so you would have
    some models in one.w3d and other models in two.w3d and in Director (shockwave)
    when your character has walk so far you would begin to download two.w3d;
    PROBLEM once two.w3d is downloaded there is a fair amount of
    processor-intensive work required to get the model from two.w3d into
    the_world.w3d ( although you may download many .w3ds, you can have only one
    world, so you have to 'copy/paste' newly delivered models into some primary
    ..w3d; you do this with Lingo using the clone... methods);

    2 - do you know how in Flash you have a movieclip in the library and then you
    create instances of it on the stage? you likewise do this for your 3d models,
    where a movieclip is agous to modelresource, and an instance is ogous
    to a model; once you have a modelresource you can make as many models from it
    as you wish, like in any class-based/OOP programming;

    dsdsdsdsd

    dsdsdsdsd Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks a lot.
    A great answer, exactly what I wanted to know.
    Now, it is left to study how to do all this, but at least I know that I'm in
    the good way and that what I want to do can be done.

    Thank you again.

    cubelan2 Guest

  4. #4

    Here are some more infos about the streaming behavior of shockwave3d.
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/articles/dir_3d_faq.html
    (You have to scroll down a little bit...)

    The idea of walking around and load things when you get closer to them is only
    in theory a good idea. Watching the loading process from inside a 3D world is
    not very interesting. It is very annoying to stick in the scene for moments
    without beeing able to move when things are loaded into vram. The other thing
    is, you will need a lot of CPU to do all the collision detection and
    interactivity, but loading and processing data will need CPU too, so the whole
    thing will become unperformant while loading.

    It will be a better experience for the endusers, when you preload everything
    before they enter the world.

    hondo3000 Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you again.
    I'm trying to do that, but it doesn't work. I imagine I'm doing something
    wrong, but it seems very simple, so I don't undertand.
    I copy the code (a portion) I use, but the new model doesn't appear.

    Regards.

    global m,mynewmodel
    on beginsprite me
    m=member(1)
    m.resetworld()
    mynewmodelresource=member(4).modelResource("anothe rmodel")
    mymodel=m.newModel("my_model",mynewmodelresource)
    mymodel.shader.texture = member(4).model("anothermodel").shader.texture
    end

    cubelan2 Guest