Professional Web Applications Themes

3D Multiplayer complexity?? (help!) - Macromedia Director 3D

A recent client just came to us with a proposed project. A 3D maze-style game for one player... sounds simple enough!.. but wait, there's more! The 3D maze player navigates through the labyrinth picking up items that are generated from a web database... ok, little more complex.. but I think I can handle that. Plus the maze can also be generated from a database... now the kicker! They want up to 100 different users to be able to log-in and view the action and see exactly what player1 can see. They need to be able to log-in at anytime. Is ...

  1. #1

    Default 3D Multiplayer complexity?? (help!)

    A recent client just came to us with a proposed project. A 3D maze-style game for one player... sounds simple enough!..

    but wait, there's more!

    The 3D maze player navigates through the labyrinth picking up items that are generated from a web database... ok, little more complex.. but I think I can handle that. Plus the maze can also be generated from a database...

    now the kicker!

    They want up to 100 different users to be able to log-in and view the action and see exactly what player1 can see. They need to be able to log-in at anytime.

    Is this even possible??

    I need to talk with this client ASAP, so ANY guidance would be greatly appreciated!

    SuperDMon (Charles)

    SuperDMon webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3D Multiplayer complexity?? (help!)

    "SuperDMon" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > They want up to 100 different users to be able to log-in and view the action and see exactly what player1 can see. They need to be able to log-in at anytime.
    >
    > Is this even possible??
    Yup, absolutely. Of course you have some lag depending on the user´s
    connection speed and the server. I´d recommend you taking a look to goMU
    if you don´t have experience programming with Multiuser Server. Ask
    about this on macromedia.director.multiuser if you have any doubt.

    [url]http://gomu.rebus.gr/goMU.htm[/url]

    Cheers,
    --
    Agustín María Rodríguez | [email]agustinOnWine.com.ar[/email] | [url]www.OnWine.com.ar[/url]

    Agustín María Rodríguez Guest

  3. #3

    If I may add, a good example to check would probably be:
    [url]http://gomu.rebus.gr/Examples/Chat/goMU-AvatarChatBase.dir[/url]
    (launch at least two instances to check it)
    > > Is this even possible??
    >
    > Yup, absolutely. Of course you have some lag depending on the user´s
    > connection speed and the server.
    Another thing it depends on is how much action you mean by "action". But the
    lag is... optional ;-)

    As you may notice from the example above, the motion is rather y. That's
    because there is no interpolation between the positions - the sprites
    positions are being updated when a new message is received / minimum time
    between updates set to 40ms in this example.
    If your app requires smooth motion, some prediction and positions
    interpolation will be required - you can search at google for 'dead
    reckoning for more details on this.
    You can also have a look at
    [url]http://gomu.rebus.gr/Examples/Various/batMoveTest14.htm[/url]
    The first black bat shows the actual position. The rest are emulating the
    position on the remote machine:
    red bat: no prediction - accurate, always one step behind, y
    blue bat: predicted position, no interpolation - inaccurate, more y
    lower black bat: interpolated position - possibly accurate, smooth.

    If you include such a technique, the remote machines will most probably not
    be viewing the *exact* same thing - either way they wouldn't (red bat), but
    it will allow you to have a quite smooth result with less load on the
    server, since you are based on samples to reconstruct the motion instead of
    increasing the speed of the messages to 'fill the gaps'. Which is nothing
    more than a widely used compression (better yet decompression) method
    applied in mu programming.

    So, the basic questions are:
    - What bandwidth can you reserve for this?
    - How smooth does your character have to move? And how does it move? On
    horizontal and vertical lines (restricted motion in the maze) or freely
    (constrained by the walls)? Note that the second approach is much harder,
    since it will most probably require pathfinding, while with the first you
    can work with keypoints.

    Btw, I find the 100 simultaneous viewers thing to be quite an interesting
    challenge, so... Hmm... Well, check the above and we'll talk again.

    -alchemist

    "Agustín María Rodríguez" <agustinonwine.com.ar> wrote in message
    > "SuperDMon" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > > They want up to 100 different users to be able to log-in and view the
    action and see exactly what player1 can see. They need to be able to log-in
    at anytime.

    > > Is this even possible??
    >
    > Yup, absolutely. Of course you have some lag depending on the user´s
    > connection speed and the server. I´d recommend you taking a look to goMU
    > if you don´t have experience programming with Multiuser Server. Ask
    > about this on macromedia.director.multiuser if you have any doubt.
    >
    > [url]http://gomu.rebus.gr/goMU.htm[/url]
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Agustín María Rodríguez | [email]agustinOnWine.com.ar[/email] | [url]www.OnWine.com.ar[/url]

    alchemist Guest

  4. #4

    I haven't worked in that area myself, but it is possible. It is much easier than a full multiplayer game as the only shared data is the controllers camera transform which should be sent the the 100 viewers. You will need to interpolate the 100 viewers cam position due to latency so the movement will be smooth, even though the actual update of the transform will be y.

    You could implement it via an occasionally polled database, or use Macromedia Multi User Server or FlashMX FlashCommServer. Try asking this question in those newsgroups too.

    Hope that's a start at least

    Richard

    Rix webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest