Professional Web Applications Themes

3d revolve-mapped image appears low res - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

How can I get a mapped image to stay hi-res. ? when I place an eps or tiff or embeded image onto a revolved cylinder from the map function It appears, but looks low res. I can take the same image and envelope distort is and it stays hi res, but when I map it it looks 72dpi instead of 300. Can anyone recommend a good easy to use 3d program that has this function and would be easy to use since I don't know much about 3d. I just need a image wrapped around a cylinder and stay hi-res....

  1. #1

    Default 3d revolve-mapped image appears low res

    How can I get a mapped image to stay hi-res.
    ?

    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3d revolve-mapped image appears low res

    Try bringing it in at 600 dpi as a tiff ti worked fine here. if you are increasing the size of the image when you map it that will reduce the resolution.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    No, I am importing it at full size and I am not using scale to fit. There should be no scale factor. I tried the image at 600 dpi and it still looks 72 dpi. (the same image is fine when I am using the envelope or warp functions.
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    note: if I save the file as an eps and open it back up in photoshop (at 300dpi), It's quite jaggy. Big difference between the the envelope and 3d function.
    Is this an illustrator bug?
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Sorry to hear that but when I use 300 dpi or a 600 dpi it looks and prints fine.

    There is a 3D program which is inexpensive called Strata 3D but whether it maps eps or tiff I do not know.

    Hotdoor also has a 3D plug in.

    But this works fine for me how are you capturing the file?

    Well at anyrate see how it works for me this is 300 ppi.

    Mapped Tiff <http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Picture1.jpg>
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Change your Doent Raster Effects Settings (Effects menu) to something greater than 72.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    GARY YOU ARE SO GREAT!!!!
    ALL HAIL THE ILLUSTRATOR GURU!!!!!!!!!!

    you just solved my problem!!!!!!
    This is going to save me SO much time!!!!

    even though I rasterized it manually, I still had to change this setting!!!!!!!!!!
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    GARY YOU ROCK!!!!!
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    ok, gary, here's another one, when I map one image on one surface touching another I get a white jaggy edge where the two touch (like matting or something). Is there a way to get rid of that? (the two images that touch both bleed the surface they are mapped to.
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I think the interface between the two images that you see is just a screen display thing. If you zoom in, it disappears or gets very small. Should print fine.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    When I save the image as an eps and then open it in photoshop, the white lines are in the file. Maybe I'm pushing the 3d thing too far.
    I have at least 8 surfaces mapped.
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Try checking preserve spot colors
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    tried it, It still didn't work.
    I think I'm asking too much for an effect. I may have to buy strata. (not wanting to) : )

    Also another problem I had, when I mapped the art to the frame, and then changed the revolve axis with some custom numbers, I had strange surfaces appear that also were not just screen problems. (even though the entire surface is mapped). when I opened the image in photoshop they were also there. pretty much what I see on the screen was also in the file.
    This effect seems to work great for something really simple but I think mapping 8 surfaces, It can't handle it.

    but still I can't tell you guys how much I appreaciate your help.
    : ) : )
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Any chance I can email some screen shots to anyone for a "look-see"?
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Are you mapping to flat surfaces? There seems to be a limit to how much Illustrator's 3D function can map onto complex curved surfaces. You may email to me, if you like - click my name.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    here's a link to some images:

    <http://home.earthlink.net/~richr4/mug.html>
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I think you've run up against the limits of what the 3D feature can do in this version of CS. I assume each one of the outward-curving rings on the container are separate mapping surfaces, drawn with corner points (not smooth ones). I would try rendering it in stages, with only one or two surfaces mapped at a time. Render the rest with copies, and assemble them later.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    yes, I think so.
    cool.
    kudos to gary.

    that is what I had to do, finish it in photoshop,
    but it turned out pretty good anyway.
    It was worth using the 3d filter.
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    I also noticed from your screen shots that some of the path point were not selected when you changed the angles of rotation also looked as if some where dot selected at all or altered.

    However it looked pretty excellent.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    yes, i tried it both ways. (same end result).
    diane_reichert@adobeforums.com Guest