Professional Web Applications Themes

3D Studio Max or Maya? - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi, I would like to learn 3D animation but don't know which software to buy. Does anyone have any advice on whether 3D Studio Max or Maya is better? I would be mainly using it for visualization but would like to get into 3D game design. Thanks, FrankS...

  1. #1

    Default 3D Studio Max or Maya?

    Hi,

    I would like to learn 3D animation but don't know which software to buy. Does
    anyone have any advice on whether 3D Studio Max or Maya is better? I would be
    mainly using it for visualization but would like to get into 3D game design.

    Thanks,
    FrankS

    Frank_S Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3D Studio Max or Maya?

    me, personally, i would get max. Just becuase i'm a long time user. Also, with
    it, get the certifeied " FinalRender ". This Render, will take you to a huge
    step towards 3d animations and all. In a lot more cases, discreet max has more
    3rd party. What i mean is that max have more support and the leader in that
    category who are willing to make new plugins/. but this is just my opionoin.
    I've touch maya here and there, but i just kept on coming back to max,
    everything seems to be more advance and easy at the same time. It's awsome man.
    Get max instead.

    For making games. Like me, i'm learning to use director to create
    games. export from max. you can also from maya too.

    [url]http://discreet.com[/url]

    -gmax

    bsx06 Guest

  3. #3

    No MAX no Maya. Good ART Games are made by Softimage users.

    I prefer Softimage 3D or Softimage XSI like the big ones.

    check [url]http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v3/games/[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.softimage.jp/xsi_img_glry_index.htm[/url]

    some games made with softimage XSI or 3D are

    Valve: Half-Life 2
    Activision: Soldier of fortune 1 & 2
    Activision: Dark Reign 2
    Activision: Battlezone 1 & 2
    Capcom: Resident Evil/Biohazard 0, 1, 2, 3 & nemesis
    Capcom: Star Gladiator
    Capcom: Devil May Cry 2
    Capcom: Onimusha 1 & 2
    Curly Monsters: Quantum redshift
    Curly Monsters: n-Gen racing
    Cyan: Riven
    Electronic Arts: Fifa 2003
    Electronic Arts: NBA Live 2003
    Electronic Arts: NBA Street Vol. 2
    Fasa: Mechwarrior 3
    From Software: Armored Core 3
    Infogrames: Alone in the dark
    Infogrames: Grand prix challenge
    Konami: Anubis
    Konami: Silent Hill 1, 2 & 3
    Konami: Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2
    Namco: Dead to Rights
    Namco: Pacman World 2
    Namco: Soul Calibur
    Namco: Tekken 1, 2, 3 & 4
    Namco: Tekken Tag Tournament
    Namco: Mappy Park
    Nintendo: Pikmin
    Nintendo: Super Mario64
    Nintendo: Smash Brothers
    Nintendo: Zelda64
    Nintendo: Luigi's Mansion
    Pandemic: Star Wars:The Clone Wars
    Psygnosis: Colony wars
    Psygnosis: Codename: Tenka
    Psygnosis: Wipeout
    Psygnosis: Wipeout XL/2097
    Psygnosis: Wipeout 3
    Raven Software: Soldier of Fortune
    Sega: Shinobi
    Sega: F-Zero
    Sega: The House of the Dead 3
    Sega: Rez
    Sega: Super Monkey Ball
    Sega: Virtua Fighter 1, 2 & 3
    Sega: VF4
    Sega: Shenmue
    Sega: Jet Set Radio
    Sega: Panzer Dragon 1 & 2
    Sega: Space Channel 5 1 & 2
    Sega: NFL 2K3
    Square-Enix: Final Fantasy 7,8,9,10,11&12
    Square-Enix: Bouncer
    Tecmo: Dead or Alive Extreme Beach VolleyBall

    Just kidding, just choose the software that fits you best.

    regards.

    raf

    "Frank_S" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to learn 3D animation but don't know which software to buy.
    Does
    > anyone have any advice on whether 3D Studio Max or Maya is better? I would
    be
    > mainly using it for visualization but would like to get into 3D game
    design.

    > Thanks,
    > FrankS

    Rafael Martín Guest

  4. #4

    I have to admit that SoftImage XSI is a great piece of work.
    But 3DS MAX 6 has the best W3D exporter ,so ... find the answer yourself.
    cheers
    necromanthus Guest

  5. #5

    Have you ever actually tried using Softimage? I'm aware that some of the
    best movies and games are created with Softimage, but it has a very steep
    learning curve compared to Max. I know, I'm a 3DS Max user and I took a
    Softimage class.

    Valve says that the release of Half-Life 2 is due to hacking and all that...
    but I'm wondering if it's really because their artists are having such a
    tough time learning Softimage. :)

    Steve

    zippy Guest

  6. #6

    I agree.

    I took classes on Maya and was pretty enthused the more I got used to it, but
    I exported a w3D for Director and could barely find it. When I did and imported
    it into Director, I wasn't impressed with the quality.

    Max on the other hand, I created 4 simple blocks, exported the file right to
    my desktop, imported it into Director and it looked great.

    lilnyc Guest

  7. #7

    I have used softimage since 13 years also Max and some other 3d software I
    no doubt prefer softimage xsi.

    raf

    Rafael Martín Guest

  8. #8

    We have created our own exporter from softimage to w3d.
    No problems no limits in bones deformation and animation any type.
    Comeing soon in [url]www.sintesys.net/exporter[/url]

    raf

    "necromanthus" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > I have to admit that SoftImage XSI is a great piece of work.
    > But 3DS MAX 6 has the best W3D exporter ,so ... find the
    answer yourself.
    > cheers

    Rafael Martín Guest

  9. #9

    Frank,

    Have you considered Discreet's Plasma? For simple 3D in Director it's
    fantastic, very easy to use with detailed color illustrated tutorials and it's
    only $650.

    I followed a Macromedia tutorial where the author uses 3DS Max and I used
    Plasma - same results.

    lilnyc Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks everyone for you input.

    I've decided to go with 3D Studio Max. It seems to be best suited for my needs.

    I've been mostly a MAC user with some experience on PCs ( using Director).
    Since 3D Studio Max only runs on a PC, can anyone give me advice on what
    features I should be looking for when purchasing a computer for 3D animation?
    How much can I expect to spend? And what's a good resource for buying a
    computer?

    Thanks for you help.

    FrankS

    Frank_S Guest

  11. #11

    [q]Originally posted by: Frank_SI've decided to go with 3D Studio
    Max. It seems to be best suited for my needs.
    FrankS[/q]

    The best choice ( you won't be dissapointed )
    p.s.
    my best wishes for MAYA, SOFTIMAGE and POSER users.

    necromanthus Guest

  12. #12

    Some things are a must when using 3D modeling applications like Max. First
    you're going to need a relatively fast processor and graphics card. Your
    processor should be no less than 1.5 GHz and your graphics card should have
    at least 64MB RAM (ATI and NVDIA both make great cards). Also, don't
    consider anything less than 512M of system RAM. And make sure it has a nice
    big monitor.

    Steve

    "Frank_S" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks everyone for you input.
    >
    > I've decided to go with 3D Studio Max. It seems to be best suited for my
    needs.

    > I've been mostly a MAC user with some experience on PCs ( using
    Director).
    > Since 3D Studio Max only runs on a PC, can anyone give me advice on what
    > features I should be looking for when purchasing a computer for 3D
    animation?
    > How much can I expect to spend? And what's a good resource for buying a
    > computer?
    >
    > Thanks for you help.
    >
    > FrankS

    zippy Guest

  13. #13

    don't forget about the easy-to-learn Cinema4D ! It has also a w3D Exporter.

    You can learn this programm very fast and come to good results.

    Known Problems:

    - Z-axis in wrong direction
    - Normals in wrong direction
    - No aceptable solution to render shadows onto the models :(

    Good about it:

    -Texture size
    -Animation of bones and Positions/rotations
    -available for mac/pc

    this was just to make the overview complete!

    greetings!

    hondo3000 Guest

  14. #14

    3D Studio Max or Maya?