Professional Web Applications Themes

3D Terrain and Cameras - Macromedia Director 3D

Hello, I'm currently trying to build a flight simulator for a first person view with an instrument panel. I've seen the article on Director Online and am trying to use the same concept to construct my simulator. I'm very new to 3D in Director and I was hoping somebody can teach me about cameras. My idea is to import a terrain generated using Bryce (which i'm only a beginner user) and using a joystick, manouvre a plane from a first person view (using a camera). My questions are : How do you insert a camera like that into a "world" ...

  1. #1

    Default 3D Terrain and Cameras

    Hello,

    I'm currently trying to build a flight simulator for a first person view with an instrument panel. I've seen the article on Director Online and am trying to use the same concept to construct my simulator. I'm very new to 3D in Director and I was hoping somebody can teach me about cameras. My idea is to import a terrain generated using Bryce (which i'm only a beginner user) and using a joystick, manouvre a plane from a first person view (using a camera). My questions are :

    How do you insert a camera like that into a "world" whereby you have to load everything (the sprites) from scratch ? E.g. normally, you could just drag and drop the 3D features in director on a 3D object but with a "world" that needs loading of all the 3D objects, how do you put that camera where you want ? I need the camera to rotate according to the 3 axes of movements of the plane : roll, pitch and yaw.

    I've read that it's easier to do this within Bryce but I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

    With respect to the movements with a joystick, I plan to use an Xtra to read the joystick inputs and then taking the positions of the joystick, work out the relative movement on a mouse or a keyboard and then translate it into the script.

    The result I would like to achieve is that the joystick would move the first person view around a 3D terrain like a flight simulator ..... and hopefully i can do a bit more with the cameras later on to give other views ...but that's optional .....

    I'm a relative beginner in director and I hope somebody can help me with this.

    thanks a lot

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3D Terrain and Cameras

    Hello,

    1- Place the cameras you need in your 3D app. It's easier to position cameras relative to models when you use a 3D package. If you need the cameras to follow the plane without latency, then attach them to it. In Director, switch from camera to camera using the sprite.camera instruction.

    2- Should you want latency in your camera management: write a parent script handling the camera (pCamera) and use the interpolateTo instruction on stepFrame in order to have the camera follow the plane in a smooth way.

    3- You can use camera insets using the sprite.addCamera() instruction to have a view on e.g an incoming, a missile the player launched, an enemy's missile or the ground target the player should destroy.

    Check what the Japanese did at :
    [url]www.loop-net.co.jp/lingo/demos/flight/[/url]

    For camera change and camera instest, look at the Chrome Lib:
    [url]http://membres.lycos.fr/karlsigiscar/shockwave3d/index.html[/url]

    Cheers,
    Karl.

    Newt99 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Also, use overlays (bitmaps attached to a camera) in order to create the radar, the HUD and any other in-game interface element. You can rotate overlays by code and they can be transparent (blend property).