Professional Web Applications Themes

3d world tutorial??? - Macromedia Director 3D

hi does anybody know of a good tutorial about using multi-user and 3d environments? I have found the terra rising source but I want to make a simple space game so I don't need the physics and to be honest I get lost in the Havok code The thing that is stumping me right now is the second player everything connects to the server and the in game chat works so I think I'm close to sorting it but I could do with resting my eyes before they get any worse lol And I want to get to the graphics ...

  1. #1

    Default 3d world tutorial???

    hi

    does anybody know of a good tutorial about using multi-user and 3d
    environments?

    I have found the terra rising source but I want to make a simple space game
    so I don't need the physics and to be honest I get lost in the Havok code

    The thing that is stumping me right now is the second player
    everything connects to the server and the in game chat works so I think I'm
    close to sorting it but I could do with resting my eyes before they get any
    worse lol And I want to get to the graphics bit

    All my books appear to avoid the whole subject, so if there is a book I
    should get please let me know

    Matt

    Matt George Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3d world tutorial???

    if you only have under 16 players you can use a peer to peer connection and
    build your own server to connect the players.

    the "book" you should have is:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/multiuser.html[/url]

    to explain the hole thing it would take some time.

    try to find out how to send messages directly to specific handlers. this will
    be the key to a good concept that can be scaled up anytime by just adding a new
    handler.

    basically it works like this:
    you set up messagehandlers before you connect to netserver.

    --gMuXtra.setNetMessageHandler( #getdata, script("getdata", 2), "getdata")

    to send a message to this handler:

    --gMuXtra.sendnetmessage("player1", "getdata", datalist)

    this will execute the script "getdata" in castlib2

    this should look something like this:
    on getdata me
    newmessage = pMuXtra.GetNetMessage()
    if newMessage.errorCode = 0 then
    put newmessage
    end if

    end

    this is very basic but will do all things you need. and take a closer look at
    the error code stuff.
    maybe you can say more precisely what kind of interactions you want to have
    between your players.

    at the moment i have no tutorial that would explain how to set up a good
    3d-multiuser game, but maybe i can give you here and there a advice.

    hondo3000 Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the info

    I want to have four or five spaceships flying around in space and have them
    chatting away with each other.
    I don't get an error I just can't make the spaceships see each other. I'll
    do some more work on it and let you know when I get errors, I'm sure it
    won't be long