Professional Web Applications Themes

3rd party Rendezvous-compatible wireless routers? - Mac Networking

I've just confirmed that, although my SMC 7004AWBR router passes AppleTalk just fine between the wireless and wired sides, it definitely does NOT pass Rendezvous. This is non-intuitive, since Rendezvous is advertised as being TCP/IP friendly. Whatever. So, are there any non-Apple wireless broadband routers out there that DO support Rendezvous? -- Art Gorski * Mac Integration Staff * Rice University * Houston, Texas Remember to remove NOSPAM from address when replying via email...

  1. #1

    Default 3rd party Rendezvous-compatible wireless routers?

    --
    Art Gorski * Mac Integration Staff * Rice University * Houston, Texas
    Remember to remove NOSPAM from address when replying via email
    Art Gorski Guest

  2. #2

    In article <agorskiNOSPAM-8CD595.09123207102003joe.rice.edu>,
    Art Gorski <agorskiNOSPAMrice.edu> wrote:
    > So, are there any non-Apple wireless broadband routers out there that DO
    > support Rendezvous?
    My Linksys BEFW11S4 works just fine using Rendezvous between a wired
    iMac and an unwired PB.
    David Turley Guest

  3. #3

    In article <agorskiNOSPAM-8CD595.09123207102003joe.rice.edu>,
    Art Gorski <agorskiNOSPAMrice.edu> wrote:
    > I've just confirmed that, although my SMC 7004AWBR router passes
    > AppleTalk just fine between the wireless and wired sides, it definitely
    > does NOT pass Rendezvous. This is non-intuitive, since Rendezvous is
    > advertised as being TCP/IP friendly. Whatever.
    Rendezvous is TCP/IP communication, however it is specifically designed
    to work only on the "local" network. Meaning that it's not supposed to
    be routed, ever. It should work fine between Macs on the same side of
    the router but should not cross the router to connect Macs on opposite
    sides.

    If this device of yours were configured as a wired/wireless bridge
    rather than as a router, then Rendezvous packets would most likely pass
    through it.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  4. #4

    Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> writes in article <tph-1B9804.10085807102003localhost> dated Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:08:58 -0600:
    >In article <agorskiNOSPAM-8CD595.09123207102003joe.rice.edu>,
    > Art Gorski <agorskiNOSPAMrice.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> I've just confirmed that, although my SMC 7004AWBR router passes
    >> AppleTalk just fine between the wireless and wired sides, it definitely
    >> does NOT pass Rendezvous. This is non-intuitive, since Rendezvous is
    >> advertised as being TCP/IP friendly. Whatever.
    >
    >Rendezvous is TCP/IP communication, however it is specifically designed
    >to work only on the "local" network. Meaning that it's not supposed to
    >be routed, ever. It should work fine between Macs on the same side of
    >the router but should not cross the router to connect Macs on opposite
    >sides.
    >
    >If this device of yours were configured as a wired/wireless bridge
    >rather than as a router, then Rendezvous packets would most likely pass
    >through it.
    Some NAT routers have fairly dumb DHCP servers which will tell all their
    clients that all traffic has to be routed, even though the clients are
    connected through the built-in switch.

    Art, are you using DHCP? Can you tell what netmask your clients are
    getting? You might want to try manually assigning IP addresses and netmasks
    of 255.255.255.0.

    -- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
    The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
    Spud Demon Guest

  5. #5

    In article <blv0be$k2e$3newslocal.mitre.org>,
    [email]lewisPROBE.mitre.org[/email] (Spud Demon) wrote:
    >Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> writes in article
    ><tph-1B9804.10085807102003localhost> dated Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:08:58 -0600:
    >>
    >>Rendezvous is TCP/IP communication, however it is specifically designed
    >>to work only on the "local" network. Meaning that it's not supposed to
    >>be routed, ever. It should work fine between Macs on the same side of
    >>the router but should not cross the router to connect Macs on opposite
    >>sides.
    The wireless and wired sides of the router are all in a single subnet.
    Why would this be considered 'routing'?
    >Some NAT routers have fairly dumb DHCP servers which will tell all their
    >clients that all traffic has to be routed, even though the clients are
    >connected through the built-in switch.
    >
    >Art, are you using DHCP? Can you tell what netmask your clients are
    >getting? You might want to try manually assigning IP addresses and netmasks
    >of 255.255.255.0.
    I don't use DHCP, and have manually assigned non-routable 192.168.xx.yy
    addresses to all my Macs and my printer. The mask is as you suggest.
    Everything BUT Rendezvous works great.

  6. #6

    In article <rice.edu>,
    Art Gorski <edu> wrote:

    My experience is different. I, too, have an SMC 7004AWBR and it passes
    Rendezvous quite nicely.

    bill
    William Guest

  7. #7

    William Reagle <com> wrote:

    > My experience is different. I, too, have an SMC 7004AWBR and it passes
    > Rendezvous quite nicely.[/ref]

    I don't know the SMC specifically, but could this be a difference between
    "routing" and "bridging" modes? As I understand it, Rendezvous isn't
    supposed to be routed.
    Alan Guest

  8. #8

    Alan Anderson wrote:

    >>My experience is different. I, too, have an SMC 7004AWBR and it passes
    >>Rendezvous quite nicely.[/ref]
    >

    > I don't know the SMC specifically, but could this be a difference between
    > "routing" and "bridging" modes? As I understand it, Rendezvous isn't
    > supposed to be routed.[/ref]

    Comment to OP (can't find thread):

    D-Link's wireless router definitely passes Rendezvous. I use it with iTunes.

    Steven Guest