Professional Web Applications Themes

$4000 computer goes POOF - Mac Applications & Software

In article <3f4a3a4bshknews01>, "S P L I F F" <-NOSPAM-spliffeh--hotmail-.-com-NOSPAM-> wrote:   Well I dropped my 19" monitor once, if that makes you feel better. happens. If you have a waggy-tailed dog, don't keep liquids near your computer. A friend of mine recently did exactly the same thing. He uses his laptop in bed and he spilled a glass of water on it. I doubt any of this makes you feel better. Well you don't have a fatal disease, at least....

  1. #1

    Default Re: $4000 computer goes POOF

    In article <3f4a3a4bshknews01>,
    "S P L I F F" <-NOSPAM-spliffeh--hotmail-.-com-NOSPAM-> wrote:

    Well I dropped my 19" monitor once, if that makes you feel better.
    happens. If you have a waggy-tailed dog, don't keep liquids near your
    computer. A friend of mine recently did exactly the same thing. He
    uses his laptop in bed and he spilled a glass of water on it. I doubt
    any of this makes you feel better. Well you don't have a fatal disease,
    at least.
    fishfry Guest

  2. #2

    In article <3f4a3a4bshknews01>,
    S P L I F F <-NOSPAM-spliffeh--hotmail-.-com-NOSPAM-> wrote:

    Case. Screen. Power adapter.

    Why do you think all those things are dead?

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  3. #3

    "S P L I F F" <-NOSPAM-spliffeh--hotmail-.-com-NOSPAM-> wrote:

    One night last week, kitty knocked a soft drink onto my iBook. I
    turned the thing over quickly to drain as much of the liquid out of
    the keyboard as I could.

    I was running on battery power and in just a few minutes, the "caps
    lock" and "num lock" lights glowed green and then the computer shut
    down.

    I was feeling the same pain you are, but when I plugged the AC in,
    everything was fine. But when I unplugged the AC adapter, in just a
    few minutes the iBook died again.

    It was a temporary thing -- everything is working just fine now and
    I'm not mad at the kitty anymore.

    Try giving your TiBook a full battery charge and getting the heat
    built up in it -- might dry out the circuitry and everything will work
    fine again, just like mine did.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! http://www.fletcher2003.com

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Matthew Russotto wrote:

    Because they shattered while he was beating the dog with the laptop? ;)

    KeS
    Kevin_Stevens@hotmail.com Guest

  5. #5

    In article <3f4a3a4bshknews01>,
    "S P L I F F" <-NOSPAM-spliffeh--hotmail-.-com-NOSPAM-> wrote:

    Don't tell the insurance company that the dog was involved. If YOU
    spilled the liquid, you should be able to get them to cover it. Or did
    you ALREADY tell 'em the dog did it?? I hope not...

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard Guest

  6. #6

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    ....unless it's got unreplacable data on it, in which case the thing to
    do is call Drive Savers or some company like that.

  7. #7

    a person at work had a very similar problem-

    $1000 replaces what ever internals need replaced (excepting the monitor)

    this is a 'standard' apple repair situation

    Fetch, Guest

  8. #8

    not possible -
    the controller on the drive maybe damaged, but the rive it self is
    sealed -it would take a significant amount of time and effort to get
    liquid *into* the drive

    Howard S Shubs wrote:

    > ...unless it's got unreplacable data on it, in which case the thing to
    > do is call Drive Savers or some company like that.
    >[/ref]

    Fetch, Guest

  9. #9

    >not possible -

    Hard drives, contrary to popular opinion, *are not* hermetically sealed. (Think
    about this for a minute--if they were, and the drive were manufactured at sea
    level, and you took it on a plane...)

    Hard drives have breather holes, with filters on the inside of hte drive. Many
    hard drives have labels which bear a warning "Do not cover breather hole" (or
    something similar).

    Don't believe me? See for yourself. Pop open a dead hard drive and look. The
    breather holes are easy to spot. :)

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  10. #10

    In article <aol.com>, Tacit
    <com> wrote:

    Nor have they been kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall's porch
    since noon today.

    --
    ³There are no mistakes in love.²
    - Patty Smyth

  11. #11

    In article <3f4a3a4bshknews01>,
    "S P L I F F" <-NOSPAM-spliffeh--hotmail-.-com-NOSPAM-> wrote:
    Anyone

    It depends on what is broken. It's hard to infer from your post if all
    those parts you mentioned are actually toasted or if you're just assuming
    they are.

    I haven't worked on the newer laptops, but I own a G3 Pismo and have done a
    ton of repair work on it using parts I bought on Ebay. The inside of a
    modern laptop is quite modular and all you need is some patience to take
    things apart and put them back together again, along with some instructions
    that you can find on the web. I have replaced, on this Pismo:

    -CD drive (replaced it with a CD burner/DVD player that fit into the old
    module)
    -the motherboard
    -the hard drive (after my son dropped the computer)

    .. . . and the screen will need to be replaced soon.

    On a clamshell iBook I replaced:

    -a CD drive
    -the keyboard (real easy, of course)

    so on and so forth. At one point my Pismo was entirely apart and in little
    pieces, sitting in a shoebox, while I waited for the replacement
    motherboard to arrive.

    now, my point to all this is that I bought all the replacement parts on
    Ebay for easily a third to a sixth less than what they would have cost if I
    bought them new or had the laptop officially repaired by Apple. and of
    course, you save labor costs as well. in other words, I have made $1000
    repairs for less than, say, $150. It's not hard if you have good
    instructions, the right tools, a bit of an ability to work with your hands,
    and the ability to deduce exactly what part is broken. like I said earlier,
    all this stuff is modular. if the motherboard goes--you buy a new
    motherboard, plug it in. if it's the power card--buy a new power card.
    there's no real electronics diagnosing involved.

    of course, the parts to your newer powerbook will be more expensive than
    comparable parts to my Pismo, which is an older machine. but if you are
    willing to fix the thing yourself, you can do it for much less than buying
    a new computer.

    in fact, I am seriously considering in the future always owning a slightly
    older computer comparable to this Pismo I now own. It's so damn inexpensive
    to repair when something breaks, and yet the thing is more than powerful
    enough to do everything I want to do on it. It's really the way to go if
    you want to save a buck.
    sam Guest

  12. #12

    Well for those who are curious... here's the result:

    $250 to fix the whole thing!!!! Woot!!!!

    When the tea was spilled I moved at lightning speed to flip the laptop over
    and remove the power supply. Basically it just needed a few days to dry off,
    a light cleaning, and a new keyboard.... Thank god...

    Thanks for all that posted and emailed me suggestions.

    "S P L I F F" <-NOSPAM-spliffeh--hotmail-.-com-NOSPAM-> wrote in message
    cup
    After
    will
    salvagable?

    S Guest

  13. #13

    Glad to see it's not all for lost.

    The important part there is the cleaning, even if you have fluids dry
    off on the MB and everything works, any trace of stuff from the fluid
    might help corrode the MB over time. A cleaning with a electronic
    circuit board cleaning solvent will keep it from developing problems
    related to the spill later on.

    Larry

    S P L I F F wrote:
    > cup
    > After
    > will
    > salvagable? [/ref]

    HRC Child Care Resources - a non-profit agency of HRC Inc.
    Serving child care needs for over 20 years in Amador and Calaveras Counties
    Calaveras: (209)754-1075 - Amador: (209)223-1624 - http://www.hrcccr.org/
    Larry Guest