Professional Web Applications Themes

4oD Channel Four problem - Macromedia Flash Player

I can`t use the Channel Four TV on demand service 4oD. They tell me to uninstall Flash 9 then re-install it. This I have done. I am then instructed to find the cmd.exe file doing a search. It doesn`t show. They say:the problem arises when the previous version of Flash, and more specifically the flash9.ocx file, has ?Read Only? permissions set to it. This then denies the installer access to the file to upgrade it. If I dig deep into my system I can find the flash9.ocx file -- in fact there are now three versions in the folder with ...

  1. #1

    Default 4oD Channel Four problem

    I can`t use the Channel Four TV on demand service 4oD. They tell me to
    uninstall Flash 9 then re-install it. This I have done.
    I am then instructed to find the cmd.exe file doing a search. It doesn`t show.

    They say:the problem arises when the previous version of Flash, and more
    specifically the flash9.ocx file, has ?Read Only? permissions set to it. This
    then denies the installer access to the file to upgrade it.

    If I dig deep into my system I can find the flash9.ocx file -- in fact there
    are now three versions in the folder with an e, d and f extension. One is
    `read-only`.

    They also say:
    Windows Vista
    1. Download and Run the file from the link below:

    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player.ex
    e then follow the instructions, including any User Account Control prompts
    which appear
    2. Download and Run the file from the link below:

    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_f
    lash_player_active_x.msi
    then follow the instructions, including any User Account Control prompts which
    appear
    3. Open your Start Menu.
    4. Under ?Start Search?, type cmd.
    5. cmd.exe should appear in the results box.
    6. Right-click on cmd.exe and select ?Run as Administrator?.
    7. Follow any User Account Control prompts which appear.
    8. In the cmd window, type in:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash9e.ocx
    9. Press Enter
    You will then receive a configuration message.
    (If you get an error code 0x80070005 then you need to ensure that you used
    ?Run as Administrator? to launch the cmd window).
    Double click on the 4oD icon on your desktop and attempt to View a free
    programme through 4oD. If your are able to view content, then the 1904 error
    message can safely be ignored.

    None of this works for me.

    Very frustrated and the Channel Four helpers appear to have given up on me as
    I can`t find the cmd.exe file.
    Please advise...
    Many thanks, Art Miller

    artmiller21 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 4oD Channel Four problem

    cmd.exe means "Command Prompt". This program can be found in your Windows
    start menu, usually under Programs> Accessories.

    These instructions are very different than what we would tell you... if it
    were me I'd try the instructions in this Adobe technote:

    "Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the
    Flash Player installation"
    http://www.adobe.com/go/fb1634cb

    If you're still stuck after that open a support web case at
    http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

    BWolfe Guest

  3. #3

    **Thanks for trying to help.
    It didn`t work. See below:

    Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft
    Download Center.
    Install SubInACL.
    Download the reset_minimal.zip file.

    **I clicked `run` -- should I have clicked `save` ?

    Extract the reset_minimal.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
    Kits\Tools\.
    *Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_minimal.cmd files are
    in the same location here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

    **I got this far, but the following instruction had me puzzled. Where do I
    find reset_minimal.cmd ?

    Double-click reset_minimal.cmd.
    This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.
    Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.
    When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".
    Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.

    **Uninstalled and re-installed Flash Player, but still getting the 1904 error
    message when installing 4oD.

    **Your further advise much appreciated. Art

    artmiller21 Guest

  4. #4

    **Apologies. Have re-read the instructions. See below:

    Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft
    Download Center.
    Install SubInACL.
    Download the reset_minimal.zip file.
    Extract the reset_minimal.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
    Kits\Tools\.

    **OK. I tried to do this, but I got an error message `Can`t create output file
    C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\. `

    **So now I`m stuck at this point.

    Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_minimal.cmd files are
    in the same location here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.
    Double-click reset_minimal.cmd.
    This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.
    Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.
    When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".
    Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.

    **Again. Your help much appreciated. Art

    artmiller21 Guest

  5. #5

    As I didn`t get a reply I went back to the Channel 4 instructions.
    In the command prompt window (open with administrator rights) I typed in the
    required line regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash9e.ocx but got
    an error message telling me the flash9e.ocx file could not be found.

    When I looked in the Flash folder the file was not there.

    Not sure where to go from here. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Flash Player
    before doing any of the above. Thanks again, Art

    artmiller21 Guest