Professional Web Applications Themes

5.0.5 arp cach problem? - SCO

Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this: 5.0.5 with RS505a and oss497c. Machine is on 10 network, a vpn router was installed at 10.0.0.254 with 192.168 net on the other side. Route of course set route add 192.168 10.0.0.254 Access works fine all day; next morning the 192.168 machines can't access server. Machines on 10 network work fine. netstat -rn shows route unchanged, arp -an shows same mac for 10.0.0.254 as it did the day before, but can't ping 10.0.0.254. They had tried tcp stop; tcp start, deleteing and readding the route, and had resorted to rebooting the machine ...

  1. #1

    Default 5.0.5 arp cach problem?

    Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this:

    5.0.5 with RS505a and oss497c.

    Machine is on 10 network, a vpn router was installed at 10.0.0.254 with 192.168 net on the
    other side.

    Route of course set
    route add 192.168 10.0.0.254

    Access works fine all day; next morning the 192.168 machines can't access server.
    Machines on 10 network work fine.

    netstat -rn shows route unchanged, arp -an shows same mac for 10.0.0.254 as it
    did the day before, but can't ping 10.0.0.254.

    They had tried tcp stop; tcp start, deleteing and readding the route, and had resorted to
    rebooting the machine to fix it.

    Just for the heck of it, even though nothing appeared to be wrong, I did an "arp -F"
    followed by a "ping -c 5 10.0.0.254". This worked, and the 192.168 machines could
    access the network.

    Well, that's a fix, but it isn't an explanation. While the customer may be happy
    enough with just the fix, I'm not..

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Inexpensive phone/email support

  2. #2

    Default Re: 5.0.5 arp cach problem?

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote:
    >Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this:
    My finger missed the "e" of cache in the subject (and if I hear one more
    moron newsperson talking about weapon "kashays" in Iraq, I may take up
    arms against the news media. Cache is "kash", "cachet" is "kashay" and
    is a COMPLETELY different word. Aaarg! Doesn't anyone learn anything in
    school anymore?)

    Anyway, I did some scouting and wonder if that rarpd supplement, although
    not seemingly related to this problem, might indicate some arp code problems in
    5.0.5 ?

  3. #3

    In article <bdujfp$i46$1pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >tonyaplawrence.com wrote:
    >>Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this:
    >My finger missed the "e" of cache in the subject (and if I
    >hear one more moron newsperson talking about weapon "kashays"
    >in Iraq, I may take up arms against the news media. Cache is
    >"kash", "cachet" is "kashay" and is a COMPLETELY different word.
    >Aaarg! Doesn't anyone learn anything in school anymore?)
    It appears not. That got to me too. But I also remember when
    a two door car was a 'coo-pay' and taking over a foreign government
    was a 'coo' [both spelled car spelled coupe and the take over
    coup].

    Now if you hear of a foreign dictator in a fast 'coop'
    you don't know if he left in a fast car or overthrew the government
    quickly.

    To be a 'news face' all you have to do is look good and be able to
    make inane chit-chat with the other person sitting next to you.

    Two great examples locally were when reporting about a fire at
    a service station "the fireman are battling the fire by pouring
    thousands of gallons of gasoline on it" - or "the reject WalMart's
    zoning change request to build a 100,000 acre super-store".

    As to your arp problem, while not a fix, I can think of two options
    to keep things running until you can find the problem.
    perhaps clearing the cache.

    1) set the address permanently with the -s option
    or
    2) run a cron job that flushes the cache periodically.

    On a big Cisco I mainted years ago I had to manually go in and
    clear cache when machines were changed because the default time in
    their big beasts was 4-hours while in the smaller ones it is
    measure in seconds.

    I found that out when a customer moved his servers to new hardware
    using the same IPs and then called and said things were broken and
    he put the old HW back on line. I told him he should have called
    but to try again and after clearing things before I could say "try
    it now" he said "it's working".

    I've seen problems like this on some networks with PC's wanting to
    hang on to cache forever.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion Guest

  4. #4

    Bill Vermillion <bvwjv.comremove> wrote:
    >1) set the address permanently with the -s option
    I don't think that would matter because the proper address is displayed by arp -an when it doesn't work.
    >or
    >2) run a cron job that flushes the cache periodically.
    That's what we're doing now.
    >On a big Cisco I mainted years ago I had to manually go in and
    >clear cache when machines were changed because the default time in
    >their big beasts was 4-hours while in the smaller ones it is
    >measure in seconds.
    >I found that out when a customer moved his servers to new hardware
    >using the same IPs and then called and said things were broken and
    >he put the old HW back on line. I told him he should have called
    >but to try again and after clearing things before I could say "try
    >it now" he said "it's working".
    >I've seen problems like this on some networks with PC's wanting to
    >hang on to cache forever.
    But if the mac hasn't changed, why should it matter?