Professional Web Applications Themes

5.0.7 Fresh Installion with Merge 5 - SCO

Hi Folks, As usual, I'm trying to determine what we need for an up to date fresh installation of 5.0.7, it's not too easy. My latest SWIM updates included the following (along with other media) License SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 Enterprise System Upgrade from OpenServer 5.0.6 License Merge 5.3 OpenServer 5.0.6+ Server, 5 User Diskette SCO Openserver 5.0.7 Licensing Supplement Part Number OSR-SLS-507a (It appears to be oss656a) I'm able to Fresh install 5.0.7 without any problems using the new upgrade license for 5.0.7 and am wondering in what order the following should be installed. - oss656a - Brand(ADM) Update - ...

  1. #1

    Default 5.0.7 Fresh Installion with Merge 5

[...]

    - oss656b - Licensing Update
    - Merge
    - Development System
    - SMP
    - MP1 - Maintenance Pack 1
    - UP1 - Update Pack 1
    - oss615a - Merge 5 Kernal Update

    Also, will our "SCO Openserver Development System" license
    still work woth 5.0.7?

    Many Thanks!

    Marc Champagne

    Marc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 5.0.7 Fresh Installion with Merge 5

    Marc Champagne <DOT.com> wrote in message news:<35.177.135>...

    oss656a/b are superceded by MP1 and should not therefore be
    installed.

    oss615a is not for OpenServer 5.0.7 (it is for earlier
    releases of OpenServer like 504/505).

    I would install in the following order:

    1) SMP (defer licensing)
    2) MP1
    3) UP1
    4) License SMP
    5) Merge
    6) Dev Kit

    The OpenServer 5.0.6 Development System License is supported
    on 5.0.7.

    John
    John Guest

  3. #3

    John Boland wrote:

    > oss656a/b are superceded by MP1 and should not therefore be
    > installed.
    >
    > oss615a is not for OpenServer 5.0.7 (it is for earlier
    > releases of OpenServer like 504/505).
    >
    > I would install in the following order:
    >
    > 1) SMP (defer licensing)
    > 2) MP1
    > 3) UP1
    > 4) License SMP
    > 5) Merge
    > 6) Dev Kit
    >
    > The OpenServer 5.0.6 Development System License is supported
    > on 5.0.7.[/ref]

    OSR507MP1 contains development system updates, so it is best installed
    _after_ the development system. However, I do not think it will matter
    in this specific case, because the DS updates are only going to apply to
    the 507 DS. I'm pretty sure that if Marc installs either in the above
    order, or in the more correct order:

    SMP
    Development System
    MP1
    UP1

    -- He'll end up with an unpatched OSR506 DS. If he used the OSR507 DS,
    MP1 would update it further.

    What is to be accomplished by deferring the SMP license? I can guess:
    OSR507MP1 fixes some SMP bugs which can cause boot failures on some
    machines. If that's the case, deferring the license won't help most
    machines, but will be significant on some. It also isn't necessary if
    you aren't going to reboot between installs. But sometimes reboots are
    involuntary (you might trip over the power cord...) so perhaps this is a
    wise precaution.

    OSR507MP1 and UP1 do not contain Merge updates, so Merge could be
    installed various points along the way.

    Bela Guest

  4. #4

    com (John Boland) wrote in

    > oss656a/b are superceded by MP1 and should not therefore be
    > installed.
    >
    > oss615a is not for OpenServer 5.0.7 (it is for earlier
    > releases of OpenServer like 504/505).[/ref]

    I must of looked for the wrong thing then or found the wrong
    thing :).

    There is a updated Merge that I should use instead of the one
    supplied on CD for installing onto 5.0.7., do you know what
    it may be?

    Thanks John!

    Good!

    Thanks again!

    Marc Champagne
    Marc Guest

  5. #5

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote in

    >> oss656a/b are superceded by MP1 and should not therefore
    >> be installed.
    >>
    >> oss615a is not for OpenServer 5.0.7 (it is for earlier
    >> releases of OpenServer like 504/505).
    >>
    >> I would install in the following order:
    >>
    >> 1) SMP (defer licensing)
    >> 2) MP1
    >> 3) UP1
    >> 4) License SMP
    >> 5) Merge
    >> 6) Dev Kit
    >>
    >> The OpenServer 5.0.6 Development System License is
    >> supported on 5.0.7.[/ref][/ref]

    My intention was for OSR507 DS, I'm assuming my DS License
    works with it (I'm sure my DS license is more a 502)

    Is SMP really necessary?, There will never be a
    multi-processor system over here!

    Thanks

    Marc Champagne
    Marc Guest

  6. #6

    > > [/ref]
    >

    > My intention was for OSR507 DS, I'm assuming my DS License
    > works with it (I'm sure my DS license is more a 502)

    > Is SMP really necessary?, There will never be a
    > multi-processor system over here![/ref]

    But you may eventually use a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading,
    which SMP+UP1 can utilize even without an SMP license.

    > Thanks
    >
    > Marc Champagne[/ref]

    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    > > oss656a/b are superceded by MP1 and should not therefore be
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > oss615a is not for OpenServer 5.0.7 (it is for earlier
    > > releases of OpenServer like 504/505).[/ref]
    >
    > I must of looked for the wrong thing then or found the wrong
    > thing :).
    >
    > There is a updated Merge that I should use instead of the one
    > supplied on CD for installing onto 5.0.7., do you know what
    > it may be?[/ref]

    NeTraverse Merge 5.3.23 for OpenServer Release 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
    at http://wdb1.caldera.com/clbk_web/owa/dwn_customer

    > Thanks John!
    >

    > Good!
    >

    > Thanks again!
    >
    > Marc Champagne[/ref]

    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > What is to be accomplished by deferring the SMP license? I can guess:
    > OSR507MP1 fixes some SMP bugs which can cause boot failures on some
    > machines. If that's the case, deferring the license won't help most
    > machines, but will be significant on some. It also isn't necessary if
    > you aren't going to reboot between installs. But sometimes reboots are
    > involuntary (you might trip over the power cord...) so perhaps this is a
    > wise precaution.[/ref]

    Bela,

    You cannot use a 5.0.6 SMP license on a 507 system until MP1
    is installed. This bug was originally fixed in OSS656a/b and
    MP1 supercedes that SLS.

    John
    John Guest

  9. #9

    John Boland wrote:
     [/ref]

    > > What is to be accomplished by deferring the SMP license? I can guess:
    > > OSR507MP1 fixes some SMP bugs which can cause boot failures on some
    > > machines. If that's the case, deferring the license won't help most
    > > machines, but will be significant on some. It also isn't necessary if
    > > you aren't going to reboot between installs. But sometimes reboots are
    > > involuntary (you might trip over the power cord...) so perhaps this is a
    > > wise precaution.[/ref]
    >
    > Bela,
    >
    > You cannot use a 5.0.6 SMP license on a 507 system until MP1
    > is installed. This bug was originally fixed in OSS656a/b and
    > MP1 supercedes that SLS.[/ref]

    Thanks. It's not much fun writing install order doents. Everything
    is conditional. Here we're looking for something like:

    Canonical install order for OSR507 with OSR507UP1 Supplement CD
    available (today, 2003-09-24, the frisbees containing this are to
    start shipping soon, and an ISO image should be on the FTP site very
    soon -- whatever that means):

    1. ISL (using "Wd BTLD" if installing onto IDE drive; "ad320 BTLD" if
    using Adaptec 29320/39320 series adapter)
    2. SMP (if you intend to install it; defer licensing)
    3. MP1
    4. UP1 (if you have SCO Update license)
    6. Wd Driver Supplement (recommended; required if ISL used "Wd BTLD")
    7. Large Filesystem Performance Supplement
    A. (any time after #1) Merge (if you intend to install it)
    B. (any time after #3) License SMP (if you installed it)

    .... except I've still left out (forgotten) lots of options along the
    way, conditionals you have to watch out for, etc.

    Bela Guest

  10. #10

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    news:<com>... [/ref]
    > [/ref][/ref]
    are [/ref][/ref]

    > > Bela,
    > >
    > > You cannot use a 5.0.6 SMP license on a 507 system until MP1
    > > is installed. This bug was originally fixed in OSS656a/b and
    > > MP1 supercedes that SLS.[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks. It's not much fun writing install order doents. Everything
    > is conditional. Here we're looking for something like:
    >
    > Canonical install order for OSR507 with OSR507UP1 Supplement CD
    > available (today, 2003-09-24, the frisbees containing this are to
    > start shipping soon, and an ISO image should be on the FTP site very
    > soon -- whatever that means):
    >
    > 1. ISL (using "Wd BTLD" if installing onto IDE drive; "ad320 BTLD" if
    > using Adaptec 29320/39320 series adapter)[/ref]

    (also using oss653a VGA BTLD on certain newer P4 motherboards)

    2a. Openserver Development System 5.0.7 (if you intend to install it)?

    Is this the same as the enhanced wd driver included in UP1? The UP1 Release
    Notes alluded to the new wd driver being released as a separate BTLD.
    (The new wd driver supports disks > 138GB.)

    Also not yet officially announced or released?
     [/ref]

    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    "Bob Bailin" <com> wrote in

     [/ref]

    [snip]
     [/ref]

    What's the purpose of having an SMP license then?

    Confused.

    Marc
    Marc Guest

  12. #12

     [/ref]

    > [snip]
    > [/ref]
    >

    > What's the purpose of having an SMP license then?
    >
    > Confused.[/ref]

    Hyperthreading = virtual second processor

    real second processor = SMP license needed

    Fabio
    Fabio Guest

  13. #13

    Fabio Giannotti <com> wrote in

    >> [snip]
    >>

    >> What's the purpose of having an SMP license then?
    >>
    >> Confused.[/ref]
    >
    > Hyperthreading = virtual second processor
    >
    > real second processor = SMP license needed[/ref]

    Got it!

    Thanks

    Marc
    Marc Guest

  14. #14

    "Bob Bailin" <com> wrote in

    >> I must of looked for the wrong thing then or found the
    >> wrong thing :).
    >>
    >> There is a updated Merge that I should use instead of the
    >> one supplied on CD for installing onto 5.0.7., do you know
    >> what it may be?[/ref]
    >

    > NeTraverse Merge 5.3.23 for OpenServer Release 5.0.6 and
    > 5.0.7 at http://wdb1.caldera.com/clbk_web/owa/dwn_customer[/ref]

    Merci!

    Marc
    Marc Guest

  15. #15

    Marc Champagne <DOT.com> wrote in

    I have boiled it down to these steps (for my case) and will
    give it a try.

    1) Fresh install 5.0.7 on typical P4 w/Adaptec ad160
    2) SMP (defer licensing)
    3) DS 5.0.7 (SWIM people say old 5.0.2 license should work)
    4) MP1 (supercedes oss656a/b)
    5) UP1 (I do have Update Licenses for 5.0.7 and Merge 5.3)
    6) SMP (licensing, not needed in my case)
    7) Merge 5.3.23

    I could use some help with the merge 5.3.23 cpio archive, I
    very seldom use cpio and would like to know which command to
    use to extract it properly.

    Thanks to ALL for your responses!

    Much appreciated!

    Marc Champagne

    Marc Guest

  16. #16

    Marc Champagne typed (on Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 04:00:49PM +0000):
    | Marc Champagne <DOT.com> wrote in
    |

    | > As usual, I'm trying to determine what we need for an up to
    | > date fresh installation of 5.0.7, it's not too easy.
    | >
    | > My latest SWIM updates included the following (along with
    | > other media)
    | >
    | > License
    | > SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
    | > Enterprise System
    | > Upgrade from OpenServer 5.0.6
    | >
    | > License
    | > Merge 5.3
    | > OpenServer 5.0.6+
    | > Server, 5 User
    | >
    | > Diskette
    | > SCO Openserver 5.0.7 Licensing Supplement
    | > Part Number OSR-SLS-507a
    | > (It appears to be oss656a)
    | >

    | > I'm able to Fresh install 5.0.7 without any problems using
    | > the new upgrade license for 5.0.7 and am wondering in what
    | > order the following should be installed.
    | >
    | > - oss656a - Brand(ADM) Update
    | > - oss656b - Licensing Update
    | > - Merge
    | > - Development System
    | > - SMP
    | > - MP1 - Maintenance Pack 1
    | > - UP1 - Update Pack 1
    | > - oss615a - Merge 5 Kernal Update
    | >
    | > Also, will our "SCO Openserver Development System" license
    | > still work woth 5.0.7?
    |
    | I have boiled it down to these steps (for my case) and will
    | give it a try.
    |
    | 1) Fresh install 5.0.7 on typical P4 w/Adaptec ad160
    | 2) SMP (defer licensing)
    | 3) DS 5.0.7 (SWIM people say old 5.0.2 license should work)

    I don't believe that.
    Do let us know if an pre-5.0.7 DevSys license works or not.

    | 4) MP1 (supercedes oss656a/b)

    It provides a whole lot of other necessary fixes.

    | 5) UP1 (I do have Update Licenses for 5.0.7 and Merge 5.3)

    An upgrade license (from a prior version of OSR 5 enables you to install
    5.0.7. To install UP1 (and all of its successors as they appear), you
    need to have bought "SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 SCO Update Service" (which
    costs a bit less if you order it at the same time as your Base License,
    instead of later in a separate purchase).

    | 6) SMP (licensing, not needed in my case)
    | 7) Merge 5.3.23
    |
    | I could use some help with the merge 5.3.23 cpio archive, I
    | very seldom use cpio and would like to know which command to
    | use to extract it properly.

    list: cpio -itI archivename
    extract: cpio -ivdI archivename

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  17. #17

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    Pre 5.0.7 DevSys license will __NOT__ be accepted if patch OSS656/MP1 is
    not installed on the system.

    Best,
    Roberto
    --
    Roberto Zini - Technical Support Manager - email:r.zini<AT>strhold.it
    Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Evolution Division R.E. (ITALY)

    Roberto Guest

  18. #18

    Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote in

    When I called SWIM, the gentleman said "Nothing has changed
    in DS, you license will work"

    That's all I needed to here :)

    I will let you know for sure!

    but of course :)

    I'm lost here, I havn't bought anything in long while (since
    open desktop days).

    Update Service = SWIM ?

    I do renew SWIM every 3 years.

    As indicated way above, with my latest SWIM reception, 2
    upgrade licenses where submitted.

    Do I need to purchase anything additional than the usual
    3-year SWIM to keep my head above water?

    This will help.

    Thanks JP

    Marc Champagne
    Marc Guest

  19. #19

    "Marc Champagne" <DOT.com> wrote in message
    news:35.177.135... [/ref]

    > [snip]
    > [/ref]
    >

    > What's the purpose of having an SMP license then?[/ref]

    An SMP license is needed if you have more than one physical CPU
    on your motherboard. A P4 with hyperthreading presents itself to
    the system as two virtual CPUs, and no license is needed for that
    2nd virtual CPU (but the SMP software needs to be installed).

    Bob Guest

  20. #20

    Marc Champagne typed (on Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:07:25PM +0000):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote in
    |

    | >| 5) UP1 (I do have Update Licenses for 5.0.7 and Merge 5.3)
    | >
    | > An upgrade license (from a prior version of OSR 5 enables
    | > you to install 5.0.7. To install UP1 (and all of its
    | > successors as they appear), you need to have bought "SCO
    | > OpenServer 5.0.7 SCO Update Service" (which costs a bit
    | > less if you order it at the same time as your Base License,
    | > instead of later in a separate purchase).
    |
    | I'm lost here, I havn't bought anything in long while (since
    | open desktop days).
    |
    | Update Service = SWIM ?
    |
    | I do renew SWIM every 3 years.
    |
    | As indicated way above, with my latest SWIM reception, 2
    | upgrade licenses where submitted.

    Does one of them literally say it is for "SCO Update Service"?
    If not, you do not get to install the UPx supplements.

    Ask the SWIM people if you were supposed to get it place of the remaining
    time on your SWIM contract.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest