Professional Web Applications Themes

5.0.7 Install Problem - SCO

"David P. Lurie" <abcdef.com> wrote in message news:vhun37lf7ikt0bcorp.supernews.com... > The HD on our server recently failed, followed about a week later by the > controller (believe both failed, not just the controller). > > Replaced with an older spare Adaptec 2940U2W controller and smaller HD > pending replacements via RMA, and restored with RecoverEdge. > > Would like to upgrade to 5.0.7 with a fresh install on a separate HD to > avoid having to do a full recovery of the old system if problems occur, > reinstall applications, then restore data. > > Installed a spare 80 Gb Ultra/133 ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: 5.0.7 Install Problem

    "David P. Lurie" <abcdef.com> wrote in message
    > The HD on our server recently failed, followed about a week later by the
    > controller (believe both failed, not just the controller).
    >
    > Replaced with an older spare Adaptec 2940U2W controller and smaller HD
    > pending replacements via RMA, and restored with RecoverEdge.
    >
    > Would like to upgrade to 5.0.7 with a fresh install on a separate HD to
    > avoid having to do a full recovery of the old system if problems occur,
    > reinstall applications, then restore data.
    >
    > Installed a spare 80 Gb Ultra/133 HD (only runs at Ultra/100 on this
    > motherboard) and IDE CD/RW.
    >
    > Tried to boot from the IDE CD/RW , and then install 5.0.7 to the IDE HD,
    but
    > the install hung on the hardware i.d. section. 5.0.7 did seem to install
    > properly from the IDE CD/RW after booting from the boot floppy.
    >
    > No error messages during the install, but the boot process hangs during
    the
    > hardware id stage,right after the USB controller is recognized.
    >
    > The system BIOS is set to disable boot from SCSI device, and the boot
    hangs
    > whether or not the SCSI BIOS is disabled, and whether or not the SCSI HD
    is
    > unplugged.
    >
    > What is causing the boot to hang? I'd like to switch over to 5.0.7 on the
    > IDE HD, and then use RecoverEdge to restore to the replacement SCSI HD
    when
    > it arrives.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David P. Lurie
    Have you tried using the bootstring wd.udma=off ? This should allow you to
    boot
    from the CD-ROM and get past the hang during hardware detection.

    A little more info about your system would also help. What mb and CPU?
    Is IDE HD pri/master and IDE CD/RW sec/master? (CD/RW should not be
    pri/slave)

    You might also want to leave out the SCSI adapter completely until it will
    be used.

    Bob Bailin Guest

  2. #2

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried using the bootstring wd.udma=off ? This should allow you to
    > boot
    > from the CD-ROM and get past the hang during hardware detection.
    >
    > A little more info about your system would also help. What mb and CPU?
    > Is IDE HD pri/master and IDE CD/RW sec/master? (CD/RW should not be
    > pri/slave)
    >
    > You might also want to leave out the SCSI adapter completely until it will
    > be used.

    Thanks for your help; I had tried the bootstring wd.udma=off , but only
    after the install after boot from floppy, still without being able to boot
    from the IDE HD.

    I'll try pulling the SCSI controller from the system, retry and post back
    later. I had actually put in the IDE CD/RW in case this needed to be done.
    These changes will need to be made after hours, as this is our production
    server.

    sysinfo:
    Asus P2B motherboard

    P4 1.7 GHz

    512 Mb ECC RAM

    Temporary SCSI controller - Adaptec 2940U2W

    Temporary SCSI HD - IBM 18Gb

    SCSI DAT tape drive - Seagate Scorpion 20/40

    SCSI CD/RW - Plextor

    IDE HD - Maxtor 80 Gb Ultra/133, only runs at Ultra/100 on this motherboard,
    as primary IDE master

    IDE CD/RW - secondary IDE master

    Thanks,

    David P. Lurie

    David P. Lurie Guest

  3. #3

    David P. Lurie wrote:

    > "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote in message
    > > Have you tried using the bootstring wd.udma=off ? This should allow you to
    > > boot
    > > from the CD-ROM and get past the hang during hardware detection.
    > >
    > > A little more info about your system would also help. What mb and CPU?
    > > Is IDE HD pri/master and IDE CD/RW sec/master? (CD/RW should not be
    > > pri/slave)
    > >
    > > You might also want to leave out the SCSI adapter completely until it will
    > > be used.
    > >
    > Thanks for your help; I had tried the bootstring wd.udma=off , but only
    > after the install after boot from floppy, still without being able to boot
    > from the IDE HD.
    >
    > I'll try pulling the SCSI controller from the system, retry and post back
    > later. I had actually put in the IDE CD/RW in case this needed to be done.
    > These changes will need to be made after hours, as this is our production
    > server.
    >
    > sysinfo:
    > Asus P2B motherboard
    >
    > P4 1.7 GHz
    The P2B is a PIII system board. How are you running a P4 1.7 GHz?

    I have upgraded several clients running P2B-S with 1.4GHz Celeron
    from Power Leap. I downloaded the 1013 Beta BIOS so that this would
    work. What BIOS are you running?

    Try disabling the USB functions in BIOS as you are unlikely to have
    USB devices from an existing 5.0.5 system. (Since the P2B was
    discontinued long before 5.0.6 but you may have previously upgraded
    to 5.0.6.)

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  4. #4

    Sorry -

    Put in the wrong MB model - it is a P4B.

    I'll check the BIOS number when I reboot. We have two P4B systems at the
    office, and swapped the original 1.7 GHz P4 for a 2.4 on the other that runs
    XP. A BIOS upgrade was needed to support the faster processor. Don't recall
    upgrading the BIOS on the SCO system, but will check, and likely proceed.

    The only USB option in the current BIOS was to enable USB legacy support.
    Disabling that had no effect on the hang at boot time.
    "Steve Fabac" <smfabacatt.net> wrote in message
    > The P2B is a PIII system board. How are you running a P4 1.7 GHz?
    >
    > I have upgraded several clients running P2B-S with 1.4GHz Celeron
    > from Power Leap. I downloaded the 1013 Beta BIOS so that this would
    > work. What BIOS are you running?
    >
    > Try disabling the USB functions in BIOS as you are unlikely to have
    > USB devices from an existing 5.0.5 system. (Since the P2B was
    > discontinued long before 5.0.6 but you may have previously upgraded
    > to 5.0.6.)
    > Steve Fabac
    > S.M. Fabac & Associates
    > 816/765-1670

    Thanks again,

    David P. Lurie

    David P. Lurie Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: 5.0.7 now boots - ? next step

    David P. Lurie typed (on Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:21:32PM -0400):
    | The P4B BIOS was only 1004, so flashed to 1012 from the Asus web site.
    |
    | I found the USB disable switch on the PCI configuration page; disabling it
    | allowed the system to boot from the IDE HD without pulling the SCSI adapter.
    |
    | No USB devices were connected to the server under 5.0.6, although the USB
    | driver supplement had been loaded without problems. Why should 5.0.7 hang
    | with the same USB subsystem that functioned with 5.0.6?
    |
    | The 5.0.7 installation notes called for entering single-user mode and adding
    | the 5.0.6 licenses.
    |
    | Entering single-user mode resulted in a message that the licensing daemon or
    | similar process had died, but the license manager seemed to load from within
    | scoadmin. It indicated that 5.0.7 was licensed, but not registered.
    |
    | I have the 5.0.6 Enterprise 5-user license, and the 5.0.6 Enterprise 10-user
    | upgrade to reach 15 users.
    |
    | Are the additional 10-users from 5.0.6 entered under "License Additional
    | Users"? Where and how do I enter the original 5.0.6 base 5-user license?

    Yes, "License Additional Users" will let you enter your (old) user bump
    licences.

    But 5.0.6 (or prior) Base 5-user licenses are totally useless and
    irrelevant for 5.0.7.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  6. #6

    David P. Lurie wrote:
    > The P4B BIOS was only 1004, so flashed to 1012 from the Asus web site.
    >
    > I found the USB disable switch on the PCI configuration page; disabling it
    > allowed the system to boot from the IDE HD without pulling the SCSI adapter.
    >
    > No USB devices were connected to the server under 5.0.6, although the USB
    > driver supplement had been loaded without problems. Why should 5.0.7 hang
    > with the same USB subsystem that functioned with 5.0.6?
    The USB software subsystems in OSR506 and OSR507 are completely
    different. Besides being a completely different code base, the 507
    drives support two USB Host Controller Interface types which were simply
    unrecognized by 506: OHCI and EHCI. If your motherboard has one of
    those, 507 is attempting to engage hardware which was ignored by 506.
    > Is this 5.0.7 install safe to keep, or should I do a repeat install, with
    > USB support disabled prior to the install?
    >
    > The system hang when booting from the IDE CD/ROM for installation occurred
    > at the same place as when booting from the IDE HD after the apparently
    > successful install after booting from floppy. The floppy boot presumably
    > wouldn't recognize the USB presence without a BTLD.
    Correct: the OSR507 boot floppy doesn't contain the USB drivers. No
    BTLD is yet available to add them. The USB HCIs won't have done any
    harm during such an install. Rebooting from the hard disk has trouble
    because the USB drivers now _are_ present. It is sufficient to disable
    USB in BIOS setup. Alternatively you could use a bootstring
    "disable=usb_uhci,usb_ohci,usb_ehci"; then you could experiment and
    reduce it to only those 1 or 2 HCI drivers which actually cause the
    hang. Or if you don't need USB, you could disable all of the USB
    drivers in the kernel.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest