Professional Web Applications Themes

5.3 auto starting NFS by error - FreeBSD

I just installed 5.3 production release version and did not select nfs server or nfs client during the install but nfs still gets installed. When I issue the ps -x command I see that nsfiod 0, 1, 2 ,4 is running. Is this still part of a dirty release process? This is consuming unnecessary system resources. I though this was reported as bug during 5.0 development? What gives here??? Am I missing some technical reason for NFS being forced on the default install process. Shouldn't this simple install error have this been corrected before 5.3 left development??...

  1. #1

    Default 5.3 auto starting NFS by error

    I just installed 5.3 production release version and did not select
    nfs server or nfs client during the install but nfs still gets
    installed.
    When I issue the ps -x command I see that nsfiod 0, 1, 2 ,4 is
    running.

    Is this still part of a dirty release process?
    This is consuming unnecessary system resources.
    I though this was reported as bug during 5.0 development?
    What gives here???
    Am I missing some technical reason for NFS being forced on the
    default install process.

    Shouldn't this simple install error have this been corrected before
    5.3 left development??

    Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 5.3 auto starting NFS by error

    On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 03:18:56PM -0500, com wrote:

    Try to calm down, and give us enough details to investigate your
    problem, e.g. a copy of your /etc/rc.conf.

    Kris

    Kris Guest

  3. #3

    My rc.conf only contains the default serial mouse statements and the
    usbd_enable statement.

    I also get this msg in the boot log "Mounting NFS file systems"

    The only way to stop the 4 nfsoid tasks is issue a kill command on
    their task number every time you boot the system or recompile the
    kernel and remove the nfs statements in the kernel source.

    Answering no to the 2 questions in stand/sysinstall about nfs client
    and server should have prevented those nfs tasks from starting at
    boot time like in the 4.x releases.

  4. #4

    On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 05:31:41PM -0500, com wrote:

    NFS support will be dynamically loaded if you specify NFS mounts in
    your /etc/fstab. Is this the case?

    Kris

    P.S. Please don't top-post.

    Kris Guest

  5. #5

    This is a standard vanilla install from mini.iso cd with all the
    sysinstall questions answered as no.
    I have not made any changes to any /etc files.
    What was delivered in the install is what the current content is.
    The /etc/fstab as delivered does not have any nfs mounts.
    This is not a configuration error on my part. This is how the 5.3
    system gets installed for cd.
    This is a problem with how the sysinstall process configures the
    system.

  6. #6

    On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 08:43:47PM -0500, com wrote:

    The GENERIC (i.e. default) kernel is configured to allow NFS client
    support, which means that the nfsiod kernel processes are spawned at
    boot time. If you don't want this, reconfigure your kernel to disable
    the NFS client support. Or don't, because the resource usage is
    negligible.

    Kris

    P.S. You're still top-posting. If you can't be bothered to format
    your posts properly, I won't bother to help you.

    Kris Guest

  7. #7

    I think your missing the whole point. It's not suppose to be doing
    this. This is a release build error. In the 4.x releases the kernel
    had NFS support complied into the default kernel, but when you have
    no NFS statements in rc.conf those tasks in question are not auto
    spawned. Why would this behavior be changed in 5.3 to one that
    consumes resources. It has to be a mistake.

    If what you assert is true then when doing a source update to 5.3
    why does these nfs tasks not auto spawn there.

    You assertion that its designed to work that way it just plain silly
    and only means you know not what you talk about.

    Time to submit another bug report so maybe its gets fixed in 5.4

  8. #8

    On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 09:25:42PM -0500, com wrote:

    No, it's just intentionally different behaviour (check the source code
    history). If you're really that concerned about the minuscule
    resource usage involved, then you'd surely want to build your own
    stripped down kernel anyway to remove the many other things in GENERIC
    that you don't need, together with NFS_CLIENT.

    They do, if you have NFS_CLIENT enabled in your kernel.

    *laughs* Right, that must be it, Bob.

    It's not broken.

    Kris

    P.S. Third request not to top-post, next time you're going in my
    killfile.

    Kris Guest