    Removed by Administrator
    Chino Cherokee Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. #2

    Default Re: 500/8 Reflex??

    "Chino Cherokee" <tifosoOUTcomcast.net> wrote in

    > I'd like to get a tele lens. Currently I have an 80-200 which isn't
    > cutting it for nature shots.
    >
    > I'm interested in a 300, 400, or 500 lens, but it seems the only one
    > even remotely in my range is the 500/8 reflex. (I'm all Nikon MF)
    > >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Bob

    See this months Popular Photography on choosing and using a mirror lens.
    Regards,
    John B.

    John Bateson Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    stan Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    "Chino Cherokee" <net> wrote:

    You may be interested to know that nearly everyone who buys a mirror
    lens later replaces it (or supplements it) with a telephoto lens.

    Thanks.

    T Guest

  5. #5

    "T P" <com> wrote in message

    > You may be interested to know that nearly everyone who buys a mirror
    > lens later replaces it (or supplements it) with a telephoto lens.[/ref]

    I can imagine.

    I'll keep playing the lotto....

    Thanks for the note!

    -Bob

    Chino Guest

  6. #6

    Chino Cherokee wrote:

    > I can imagine.
    >
    > I'll keep playing the lotto....[/ref]

    I believe Tony is right. Having said that, a 500mm mirror is far better for
    keeping with you at all times than 500mm refractor. Photographic results
    with a mirror lens can be stunning, but as with everything in life, there
    are tradeoffs. Your choice should accommodate your own needs, not what
    Tony, or I, or anyone else in here prefers.

    --
    John Miller, who wouldn't want to be without a 500mm mirror in the nel

    Show me a man who is a good loser and I'll show you a man who is playing
    golf with his boss.

    John Guest

  7. #7

    John Miller <net> wrote:

    John,

    That's precisely why I chose to draw on the experience of many other
    people, rather than just my own.

    It is a fact that the vast majority of people who buy mirror lenses
    are very dissatisfied with them. They either don't use them or
    replace them with a tele lens. The inability to change aperture is
    one factor, and the appalling "donut" rendition of out of focus
    highlights is another. Couple that with the lack of sharpness
    exhibited by most mass market mirror lenses and you will see that
    there are plenty of reasons to reject them.

    A third party 400mm f/5.6 doesn't cost too much, and the results can
    be very good indeed. Since most people only rarely use these focal
    lengths, it is quite reasonable to choose a third part lens such as a
    Tokina or even (I cannot believe I am suggesting this!) a Sigma.

    If someone was adamant that they wanted a third party mirror lens, I
    would recommend a Tamron 500mm, an older Sigma 600mm or an older
    Vivitar "solid cat" which I think was a 350mm or 400mm. All are sound
    performers that give sharp results, but they still suffer from the
    other problems I mentioned.

    Contax 35mm SLR users in the UK may wish to know that the Contax
    mirror lens is available at this time at a reduced promotional price.

    Tony

    T Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    David Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    AT wrote:

    Some degradation, yes. Significant? With that lens, I don't think so.

    The key question is how much speed, portability and focal length do you
    need? Speed and size/weight of lenses are a tradeoff.

    To keep a small kit and get in the neighborhood of 500mm, you could use a
    200mm f/4 (skinny) or 180mm f/2.8 (fat) with a 2x teleconverter. Or if you
    want to go nuts, get a 300mm f/2.8 + TC. :-)

    --
    John Miller, who [irrationally, maybe] doesn't like teleconverters, actually

    Weekends were made for programming.
    -Karl Lehenbauer

    John Guest

  10. #10

    "T P" <com> wrote in message
    "THUD" <===== me falling off chair in amazement ;^)

    Tony Guest

  11. #11

    "T P" <com> wrote in message
    But, you gotta love that "Bokeh" !!

    ;^)

    Tony Guest

  12. #12

    but especeifically the nikon mirror... is it good?
    appart from the obvious problems.

    definition, clarity, color?

    is there a site with photos with this lens?
    i am on the same boat.

    thanks in advance for the info.
    "T P" <com> wrote in message

    > John,
    >
    > That's precisely why I chose to draw on the experience of many other
    > people, rather than just my own.
    >
    > It is a fact that the vast majority of people who buy mirror lenses
    > are very dissatisfied with them. They either don't use them or
    > replace them with a tele lens. The inability to change aperture is
    > one factor, and the appalling "donut" rendition of out of focus
    > highlights is another. Couple that with the lack of sharpness
    > exhibited by most mass market mirror lenses and you will see that
    > there are plenty of reasons to reject them.
    >
    > A third party 400mm f/5.6 doesn't cost too much, and the results can
    > be very good indeed. Since most people only rarely use these focal
    > lengths, it is quite reasonable to choose a third part lens such as a
    > Tokina or even (I cannot believe I am suggesting this!) a Sigma.
    >
    > If someone was adamant that they wanted a third party mirror lens, I
    > would recommend a Tamron 500mm, an older Sigma 600mm or an older
    > Vivitar "solid cat" which I think was a 350mm or 400mm. All are sound
    > performers that give sharp results, but they still suffer from the
    > other problems I mentioned.
    >
    > Contax 35mm SLR users in the UK may wish to know that the Contax
    > mirror lens is available at this time at a reduced promotional price.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    >[/ref]

    AT Guest

  13. #13

    thanks, john.

    so would i be better by buying a telconverter? i have a 105 ais, and a 105
    micro both nikon. would not be 500 but 210mm maybe close enough.

    would there be much image degradation?

    "John Miller" <net> wrote in message

    > As far as imaging goes, it is arguably better than any of the conventional
    > lenses of that focal length, but you do have the shortcomings of fixed f/8
    > aperture and donuts, rather than circles, of confusion.

    > I'm pretty sure a Google search would turn some up.
    >
    > --
    > John Miller
    >
    > Micro Credo:
    > Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.
    >[/ref]

    AT Guest

  14. #14

    In article <com>, Chino Cherokee
    <net> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    The 500mm Nikors are...pretty good. They have all of the disadvantages
    of a mirror lens, which are many; but as mirror lenses go, they're
    competant.

    BTW, I've used the old Vivitar "solid cat"; I recall mine as being a
    600mm f/8. Probably the best of the breed, perhaps because the
    advertising was right - because of the solid design, they're not easy
    to knock out of alignment.

    My current long glass is a Tamron 200-400 zoom, which I've had stellar
    results from. Picked it up used at a local shop for $250.
    Scott Guest

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Thom Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    I'm not sure if it will apply, as I'm not sure why you want the 500mm grab
    at F8. Perhaps look at the Sigma 50-500/4-6.3 lens.

    Derrick

    "Chino Cherokee" <net> wrote in message
    > 105
    >

    > I tried a Nikon TC-200 on my 80-200 Nikon lens.
    >

    > Unfortunately, my split screen focus was almost always black. Not enough
    > light I was told....
    >

    > That's why I'm looking at the Nikon 500/8.
    >

    > -Bob
    >

    >[/ref]

    Surfworx Guest

  17. #17

    Hi folks. I've followed the postings about 500mm mirror lenses.

    I've used both a 500mm f8 Canon manual focus lens and a 400mm f8 Minolta
    Vectis autofocus lens.
    Both are large lenses (and the Canon is particularly heavy) but have been
    extremely useful for photographing subjects such as aircraft and far-off
    villages, i.e. where I couldn't get close enough to the subject to get a
    decent sized image.

    The heavy Canon lens used to come out only when I went to locations where I
    _knew_ it would be of use;
    the much lighter Minolta lens comes along with me whenever I'm out.

    I appreciate the out-of-focus donuts but they haven't been annoying for me.

    For me, the downside of the mirror lens is its fixed aperture. A fast film
    can help but when it gets bright you need a large ND filter if your camera
    has nothing faster than 1/1000 shutter speed.
    The advantage to me is that the mirror lens is usually much cheaper than a
    straight lens.

    Oh - I have owned and used a straight 500mm lens. It was lighter than the
    mirror lens and did have a choice of apertures (it was a manual focus
    pre-set lens) but it was physically very long and the shorter physical
    length of the 500mm mirror won out.

    Regards, Ian.

    Ian Guest

  18. #18

    http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/mirrors/

    Ron Guest

  19. #19

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message

    hmmmm....

    500 F/8 for about $300

    or

    300 F2.8 for $2000

    ??

    Can I borrow about seventeen hundred dollars???

    ;-)

    -Bob

    Chino Guest

  20. #20

    " AT" <net> wrote:

    I've never shot with a Nikkor mirror, for the simple reason that I
    don't like mirror lenses, but I know and trust several very capable
    photogs who have used a selection of mirror lenses. They rate the
    Nikkor very highly.

    Beware, though, it's not easy to find a good one.

    T Guest